Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Used the new motorway for the first time last month.  
    What a game changer for those travelling to Shannon from Mayo and points further North. While the old road took about 2 1/2 hours, you had to leave yourself 3 1/2 hours due to the bottleneck at Claregalway. I went from the Kilkenny Cross roundabout in Castlebar to the Shannon Airport exit in 1 hour 40 minutes, taking it very handy. The kids didn't even need a bathroom break
    Westport would now be about 2 hours from Shannon and Ballina would be about 2 hours 15 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

m17 wrote: »
    The m18 at raheen with the new phone mast on the left hand side 04/05/18
    IMAG3259_zpsaeynuk7a.jpg
    All that's left is the mast at Annagh hill and then there will be 100% coverage on the m17/m18

I wonder when the mast at Annagh Hill is due to go up? I see that the planning has finally been given last month despite heavy objections in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

M6 junction 17 06/09/18
    IMAG3507_zpsnsrxvn6u.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Accident on this at the weekend.

RIP the poor party involved; It does make me ponder what has people walking on a Motorway for though. The road is almost a year old.

Same occurred on M6 around exit 13 2 weeks after it opened, which i'm putting down to (a) the newness of the road and (b) the age and possible mental state of the person involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Pereplyotchik

Accident on this at the weekend.

RIP the poor party involved; It does make me ponder what has people walking on a Motorway for though. The road is almost a year old.

Same occurred on M6 around exit 13 2 weeks after it opened, which i'm putting down to (a) the newness of the road and (b) the age and possible mental state of the person involved.

Let's NOT speculate on these matters, someone is dead and that's a tragedy. Speculating on the cause or attributing it to the victims age or well being may not be the right thing at this time...
    I'm not looking for a battle or accusing you of anything or suggesting that you're wrong or anything like that etc. etc. let's just leave this one to the Gardaí / TII to investigate eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 mikeingalway

Still no sign of coverage improvements in Annagh area ... I had No Service at all on Vodafone for about two mins other day.

Rathmorrisy
    IMAG0001_zps3wgrvdhr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,711 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Embarrassing.

What's wrong with you now, fella?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Henryhill2

Is the signage going to be improved going from old roads onto new roads.

I was up around claregalway and oranmore yesterday and it's a dog's dinner of a job with roundabouts and traffic lights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

To be fair this is one time I'm inclined to agree with Kermit, there were far better designs to use for that junction, having used the roundabout a few times its kind of weirdly laid out, even repainting the lines to 'Turbo' the main movements would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Agreed have used it a number of times...nonsense design and fairly dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Same, coming from Tuam and going toward Galway you have to lean forward and turn your head more than 90 degrees to see if there's any traffic coming and you're blinded by the bridge until you're right on the white line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭obi604

Embarrassing.

Just curious, maybe I’m thick, but why is it embarrassing?

To the normal joe soap, I don’t see why it’s embarrassing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

It's a half-baked, over-sized ****e design. A massive roundabout connecting key motorways, on M-to-M junctions.

Better practice would have been to make this junction free-flowing, so that there would be no need for drivers to stop or yield when merging between motorways.

This ****e design is like the M1-Airport junction. A half-baked roundabout with conflicting movements used at greater cost in preference to a better solution of freeflow movements (that would be cheaper) for utterly retarded reasons.

I don't agree with Kermit about any of the stuff about spaghetti junctions and 12 lane motorways, but he's right about this. It's a pathetic joke.

SeanW wrote: »
    It's a half-baked, over-sized ****e design. A massive roundabout connecting key motorways, on M-to-M junctions.

Better practice would have been to make this junction free-flowing, so that there would be no need for drivers to stop or yield when merging between motorways.

This ****e design is like the M1-Airport junction. A half-baked roundabout with conflicting movements used at greater cost in preference to a better solution of freeflow movements (that would be cheaper) for utterly retarded reasons.

I don't agree with Kermit about any of the stuff about spaghetti junctions and 12 lane motorways, but he's right about this. It's a pathetic joke.
    All it needs is a bit of paint and it can be easily made free-flowing, just paint an auxiliary lane between exits.
    SImples!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,122 ✭✭✭✭flazio

How would that work going from north bound to east bound or south bound to west bound?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

obi604 wrote: »
    Just curious, maybe I’m thick, but why is it embarrassing?

To the normal joe soap, I don’t see why it’s embarrassing

I would have thought the complete absence of traffic would be an embarrassment. I think the M20 (which should have been built instead) would not have such a dirth of traffic.

flazio wrote: »
    How would that work going from north bound to east bound or south bound to west bound?
    Weaving lanes, just imagine it being like the M50.
    You have an aux lane between where traffic joins the roundabout and where it leaves at the next exit. the actual roundabout is like the driving lane of the motorway.
    Drivers weave on to the driving lane go 270 degrees (slightly less that that for the pendants) then weave to the aux lane and off.

Very simple and all it needs is some paint and signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,711 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

They could have built a full cloverleaf (standard EU practice) and it would have been superior and cheaper to do so. That's another reason to be angry. Not only inferior/worst design but more expensive!

What we have here is some eejit in a design office from down the country most likely who went over to Blighty - came across the single dumbest design on a British motorway (that they themselves hate and don't want to use) and said "that'll do".

I come back to my central point.

Just do things properly and use best practice. It's not too much to ask. That is not a proper design for a motorway to motorway interchange.

We are paying a lot of money for infrastructure. We need to demand that money is spent properly.

These are roads but they are also assets and we are selling ourselves short with nonsense like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

When All Is Ruin Once Again will be doing the rounds on the film festival circuit.
    It's about the M17/18 and it's impact on communities and people along it's route.

The m17 at cloondrone looking towards tuam 23/9/18
    20180923_155343_zps25z2gfp4.jpg
    Cloondrone looking towards rathmorrisy
    20180923_155321_zpsuo3aveoi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25 revsperminute

Totally agree that the design of the M6/M17/M18 junction is terrible.

Was travelling back to Galway city last night approx. 9pm and met a car going the wrong way around the roundabout, a VM Polo, dark coloured but couldn't see the number plate because of his lights, he or she came under the southern bridge of the M18/M17 towards traffic and turned onto the on slip towards Limerick as I was coming around past the off-slip from the M6.. crazy..

Also, but why isn't the entire motorway designated the M18 all the way to Tuam

Totally agree that the design of the M6/M17/M18 junction is terrible.

Was travelling back to Galway city last night approx. 9pm and met a car going the wrong way around the roundabout, a VM Polo, dark coloured but couldn't see the number plate because of his lights, he or she came under the southern bridge of the M18/M17 towards traffic and turned onto the on slip towards Limerick as I was coming around past the off-slip from the M6.. crazy..

National Route 18 is designated Galway to Limerick, whereas National Route 17 is designated Galway to Sligo, hence the numbering.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Someone about 15 years ago had the idea that you could build a motorway to Galway from Tuam via Athenry and everyone who uses the N17 would divert to this new motorway.

As we can see, that is not how things have worked out in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

marno21 wrote: »
    Someone about 15 years ago had the idea that you could build a motorway to Galway from Tuam via Athenry and everyone who uses the N17 would divert to this new motorway.

I don't think that was the main intention.

kippy wrote: »
    marno21 wrote: »

I don't think that was the main intention.

No, but it is certainly what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Who is this "someone"?  The N18 (as it used to be) was a North-South road. This replaced it a couple of KM further west (despite it's ridiculous M17 name). The clue is in the junction numbers continuing.
    Galway is getting a bypass which i'm sure will increase people using the new road as they'll get a freer run towards it.

Finally, if you think the main function of a Motorway is for car-commuting, you are deluded. If only it was as packed as the M50, i'm sure you are wishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭ELCAT2009

Spotted a crane and a new Tower mast at Annagh Hill yesterday eve. I presume that it is the new mobile phone mast. I was surprised this morning to see a little red light already working on top! I wonder how long before the mobile signal becomes live and do we know what phone networks or will they all share the one mast so all phone networks have coverage. Its like a birthday present to the motorway since this day last year was the grand opening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Three and Vodafone frequently share towers. It probably isn't on comregs sitefinder yet but it's worth checking. Also planning permission may show who built it

Advertisement