Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mikeingalway

Finally, I see the mast is nearing completion at Annagh Hill! Here hoping it will knock out the black spots each side of it ... I’d say they will still need another one near Cartymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Finally, I see the mast is nearing completion at Annagh Hill! Here hoping it will knock out the black spots each side of it ... I’d say they will still need another one near Cartymore.

There is no plan for one at cartymore the mast at Annagh Hill will also cover this area as Annagh hill is 8kms away form carthymore

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mikeingalway

Really, can't see a mast covering that distance and the hidden dips all the way toward and including Cartymore. What is the range of these masts?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

BIGT4464 wrote: »

462414.pdf

Exactly but look at what we got.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭obi604

BIGT4464 wrote: »
    How it should have looked 
    462415.jpg

462414.pdf

I know nothing about road design.
    How does this work?

I can’t see how all the roads join up......or are there different layers that I’m not seeing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

obi604 wrote: »
    I know nothing about road design.
    How does this work?

I can’t see how all the roads join up......or are there different layers that I’m not seeing.
    Wiki can explain better than I ever could: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloverleaf_interchange

That would have been cheaper as well.

For taxpayers your money has been wasted on a more expensive and yet inferior junction.

Should be an inquiry in to that in my opinion.

The M18 at roveagh the accommodation flyover 29/09/16
    IMAG2357_zpszpn455rv.jpg
    29/09/18
    IMAG105_zpsk9iekfai.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

That would have been cheaper as well.

For taxpayers your money has been wasted on a more expensive and yet inferior junction.

Should be an inquiry in to that in my opinion.
    Yielding and stopping isn't the end of the world, just a minor inconvenience.
    You need to build a bridge, put a roundabout on it and get over it.

flazio wrote: »
    or just slap on a bit of paint! ;)

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »

Time for you to build a bridge and get over the Father Ted approach to infrastructure.

Nothing will change unless these planners are challenged.

We should not be accepting second rate infrastructure.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

MOD: Can everyone please give over with the potshots at other posters please.
    Nothing will change unless these planners are challenged.

We should not be accepting second rate infrastructure.

The M17 carries 10k vehicles per day or so. A three level stack is actually overspecced for that volume. Perhaps if the M17/M18 was built properly and served the needs it was supposed to then a more complex junction would have been warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Roadfan

News item on Ocean fm. Sorry not great at copying links. Anyway planning for new road between Collooney and Knock on going and being led by Sligo Coco. It'll be a long time coming though. 10 to 13 years estimated.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jenningso

Roadfan wrote: »
    News item on Ocean fm. Sorry not great at copying links. Anyway planning for new road between Collooney and Knock on going and being led by Sligo Coco. It'll be a long time coming though. 10 to 13 years estimated.

https://www.oceanfm.ie/2018/10/11/upgraded-n17-still-in-the-planning-but-at-least-a-decade-away/

The bat bridge 28/10/16
    IMAG2023_zpsqkxpzkwt.jpg

21/10/18
    IMAG2506_zpsrbagvowk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

A partly unrolled cloverleaf would have been perfect. Seriously, when they decided not to go with the service station in the middle or whatever it was, the NRA/TII whoever was responsible should have sent the junction back to the drawing board.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

The World's longest sea bridge in China, set to open this week, is roughly the same length as the M17/M18 motorway! Insane! :O

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    The World's longest sea bridge in China, set to open this week, is roughly the same length as the M17/M18 motorway! Insane! :O
    At least you don't need to be a privileged politician or have a special permit to drive on the M17. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 48 remfan

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    At least you don't need to be a privileged politician or have a special permit to drive on the M17. :pac:
    What's even worse is they plan to build a parallel bridge from Shenzen to Zhongshan a few miles further north in the bay to be open by 2030. To be fair I have been over there a few times and if you look at the 7-8 major cities that line the bay like a horseshoe from Hong Kong to Macau there are almost 100 million people living in that small area so getting from one end to the other can take 3 hours by car. I saw the new bridge recently from the ground and the air and it is an incredible piece of infrastructure. No ABP issues over there.

• Advertisement

The bat bridge on the M18
    IMAG300-1_zpsrucuwd0j.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

m17 wrote: »
    The bat bridge on the M18
    IMAG300-1_zpsrucuwd0j.jpg

That's a great pic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I seen some lad with a black Skoda parked all over the road earlier taking pics!

Rathmorrisy 23/10/15
    IMAG315_zpsfmn1uqpb.jpg
    23/06/18
    IMAG322_zpsmp4r4lip.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

m17 wrote: »
    Rathmorrisy 23/10/15
    IMAG315_zpsfmn1uqpb.jpg
    23/06/18
    IMAG322_zpsmp4r4lip.jpg

Another smashing pic.
    Junction 18 looks like it's been there for years, already!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Another smashing pic.
    Junction 18 looks like it's been there for years, already!

But no traffic. There are more vehicles on the construction photo than on the open one. Where is all the traffic?

But no traffic. There are more vehicles on the construction photo than on the open one. Where is all the traffic?

In claregalway stuck in a jam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Very little traffic on the M6 in that photo either - even though that road has 29K AADT.

I nearly fainted at the weekend when I had to stop at the Rathmorrissey roundabout and yield to another car whilst exiting the M6 eastbound.

Imagine the chances of two cars being on the roundabout at once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Not sure if someone has mentioned it already, but Google Maps has been updated and now includes Street View all along the M17/M18.

Advertisement