Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭irishgeo

2 lads hitch hiking on the m18 north bound on Saturday and another fella walking a few miles further up. Bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

As 2018 draws to a close wishing all you roadies a happy Xmas and new year
    SelQGLU.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,052 ✭✭✭✭flazio

irishgeo wrote: »
    2 lads hitch hiking on the m18 north bound on Saturday and another fella walking a few miles further up. Bonkers.
    If safe to do so, report that sort of thing to the Road Police unit. End of the day those idiots are still somebody's children trying to get home for Christmas, do your part to make sure it isn't in a coffin.

The bat bridge
    LrFQ6O2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jenningso

These same lunatics are bashing the Galway ring road in the same way. They'd rather we stay in the 70s with our road infrastructure! And on bikes only......
    SeanW wrote: »
    Firstly, so what? Taking your figures at face value and assuming, for the sake of argument, that they are correct, your own figures show that the "increase" didn't even cause the figures to leave the 60s. Ennis is a town and people using individual transport in smaller urban areas isn't so unusual.

Then you say that's what bypasses do "in Ireland: increase traffic." Yet in another post, you say that more roads = more motorists as a general rule:

So it sounds to me like you're just bashing Ireland and Ireland's people for trends that you imagine all across the world, and that's just patently unfair.

Also, from your posts on this matter, assuming you are as hostile to the people of Ennis as you are to those of Galway, you would have prevented the Ennis bypass from being built if you were given the chance to do so. Two questions now arise:
    1. What do you think the people of Ennis would think of that?
    2. Who - and name them specifically - would have benefitted in some directly measurable way, by the bypass not being built? And how would the benefit of those people have negated the ongoing downside of continuing to route stupid amounts of long distance traffic through the town?
    Try asking the people of Ennis if there's "more traffic" now than there was in 2006, I expect you'll get a very short answer.

And don't give me some horsecrap about climate change because that argument is specious at best for 3 reasons:
    • Even if there was a slight increase in car usage, cars travelling at consistent speeds on roads emit fewer CO2 emissions than cars crawling from junction-to-junction in stop-start movements.
    • The national car fleet is projected to be electrified over the coming years, and even todays combustion engines are getting cleaner and more efficient.
    • Even if there actually was a carbon cost associated with the Ennis bypass, preventing it would only have offset about 5 minutes of increases in CO2 output from China and India.

More horse manure. It was clearly designed to make it easier for people to get around the region, but never expected to solve all the problems on its own.

• Advertisement

The m17 at bauilphuil Corofin 26/12/18
    byOMuHb.jpg

GU4CZh2.jpg

Rathmorrisy
    5e07EiQ.jpg

Cuddy secures council support to change baile chlair motorway signs
    bzzTQYA.jpg

Ballygaddy road flyover on the Tuam bypass 20/10/16
    l1qZ6WD.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

m17 wrote: »
    Cuddy secures council support to change baile chlair motorway signs

The simple solution would be to revise the 1956 boundaries of the Gaeltacht. It was obviously an area that was undergoing process of sustained language attrition in the 1950's so shouldn't really have been included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,549 ✭✭✭✭L1011

dubhthach wrote: »
    The simple solution would be to revise the 1956 boundaries of the Gaeltacht. It was obviously an area that was undergoing process of sustained language attrition in the 1950's so shouldn't really have been included.

There was work done to ascertain suitable boundaries a few years back which was dropped as it would have taken away more than half the land area and about 80% of the population of the Gaeltacht. I think Meath and Waterford were completely obliterated but as I can't find the report right now I can't be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

L1011 wrote: »
    There was work done to ascertain suitable boundaries a few years back which was dropped as it would have taken away more than half the land area and about 80% of the population of the Gaeltacht. I think Meath and Waterford were completely obliterated but as I can't find the report right now I can't be sure.

I'm not sure about 80%, but that would imply removing both Category B (44-67%) and Category C (< 44%), both Rath Cairn and Rinn come in under Category B, with Rath Cairn been majority Irish speaking (>52.4%), not surprising compared to the other Meath Gaeltacht, as Rath Cairn was only settled by Conamara speakers, whereas the other meath settlements were mix of Ulster and Munster speakers which was a disaster.

Summary (in English) can be found on Wayback machine
    https://web.archive.org/web/20071119045632/http://www.pobail.ie/en/AnGhaeltacht/LinguisticStudyoftheGaeltacht/file,8677,en.pdf

Either way it would at least produce a more compact language zone in Galway that reflected the linguistic situation, though obviously Spiddal is undergoing rapid angliscation due to commuter expansion, Bearna in comparison is about 25% daily speakers in that study, area having been swamped by Bearloirí input due to development over the last 20+ years.

Gaillimh.png

Engineers Ireland give a talk on the m17/m18 length of video 1hr 15 mins

The m17/m18 in numbers

1 number of bat bridges

3 number of contacters

4.2 length of tuam bypass

25.5 length of m17

27.5 length of m18

33 number of months form start to finish

900 number of people on site at peak

970 length of roundabout at rathmorrisy

9345 number of posts on boards

11500 number of vehicles using motorway daily

1,500,000 number of views on boards

550,000,000 cost of project

DXiPbaa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

why is there such a sharp bend at the Abbert River?

The Kilmore roundabout 19/01/19
    ZthP6j3.jpg

Start of the Tuam bypass
    YY7ofc8.jpg

The Kilmore roundabout 19/01/19
    ZthP6j3.jpg
    Did someone drive straight over that roundabout?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It looks like it alright now that you mention it. Didn't notice it myself first time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

It looks like it alright now that you mention it. Didn't notice it myself first time round.

Suprised that didn't make the news....looks like a lorry or a bus, judging by the tracks.

Rathmorrisy 25/09/17
    tTeer2S.jpg

• Advertisement

Tuam bypass 27/01/19
    kqUu8sQ.jpg

CE92DlO.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

A few silly posts have been removed.
    /mod

• Registered Users Posts: 42 yesnow

Heard the Tuam Bypass was a death-trap this morning, can anyone attest to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭serfboard

yesnow wrote: »
    Heard the Tuam Bypass was a death-trap this morning, can anyone attest to this?
    Yes I can. The bypass was not gritted at all.

At least the motorway was though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: more silly posts. Speeding is not something to boast about.

The m17 1km form tuam looking towards rathmorrisy 3/2/19
    gFIr0w9.jpg
    Looking tonwards tuam
    IHJdPYz.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

@ M17

When are these photos taken?

There never appears to be any traffic on your photos - do you wait for it to be quiet or is it always quiet?

@ M17

When are these photos taken?

There never appears to be any traffic on your photos - do you wait for it to be quiet or is it always quiet?

Those pics where taken a hour ago it's a lot quieter at the weekends, nice to see your enjoying the pics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Brace yourselves for the M20 fan club to pour scorn on the empty M17/18.

• Advertisement

Those pics where taken a hour ago it's a lot quieter at the weekends, nice to see your enjoying the pics

Pictures are great, but I do notice the lack of traffic.
    Kevwoody wrote: »
    Brace yourselves for the M20 fan club to pour scorn on the empty M17/18.

It is not scorn, just a fact that the M17/M18 does appear empty in the photos. The same absence of traffic affects the M6 west of Athlone, the M7 past the split for the M8, and the also level of traffic on the M9. (Well that is my experience, but I do not travel on any of these roads during commuting time).

The M20 might also be light outside of commuting time, but until it is built, we will not know.

Advertisement