Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

marno21 wrote: »
    3. This is a new nationwide policy. All motorways now have offline services deemed of sufficient quality now fully signposted from the mainline. On the M7 now there are signs for services at J27 (Applegreen Birdhill), J23 (Barack Obama Plaza) and J14 (Junction 14 Mayfield). Similarly on the M8 with services at J3 (Topaz Manor Stone), J8 (Topaz Cashel) and J14 (Topaz Fermoy) all signed. Not as much diversity on the M8 though.
    Makes a lot of sense, once they are within a few hundred metres of the junction.

Somehow I managed to miss the Galway Plaza heading towards Dublin the last time I was on the M6.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

Alot of long standing rules seem to have been broken since the M17/M18 opened.

1. Junction numbers. M17 has 3 junctions but just continues the M18 numbers
    It's confusing having two motorway numbers on that route. They should just stick with M18 for the whole thing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

plodder wrote: »
    It's confusing having two motorway numbers on that route. They should just stick with M18 for the whole thing.

That would make sense.

Also, they should not have put a roundabout at the end to join it to the Tuam bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

That would make sense.

Also, they should not have put a roundabout at the end to join it to the Tuam bypass.

The had to put a roundabout there,they couldnt built a flyover because it's pure bog

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

plodder wrote: »
    Makes a lot of sense, once they are within a few hundred metres of the junction.

Somehow I managed to miss the Galway Plaza heading towards Dublin the last time I was on the M6.

Wow, one of the worst places to do that given the length between it and the next exit!

There is a decent Centra beside M6 Motors at the Ballinasloe J14 exit. Thankfully you don't need to go anywhere near the town.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It is a great asset to the West and a great road - I drove it for the second time last weekend whilst on a break down in Galway city and it allowed me to travel from Salthill to Dromoland Castle in just over an hour...fantastic! :cool:

I have to say though, that the Rathmorrissey roundabout interchange is cumbersome and rather tricky to negotiate easily when traveling M6 East = M18 South. It really should have been a freeflow whirlpool for so little (if any) extra cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

m17 wrote: »
    I'm back there on Thursday evening I'll take a better snap
    No need now.
    serfboard wrote: »
    this sign is so close to the previous sign as to be almost impossible to see while driving at anything near normal speed on a motorway.
    Since I posted this, the (old) signs blocking the new sign have been removed and the new sign is very clearly visible now.

serfboard wrote: »
    No need now.

Since I posted this, the (old) signs blocking the new sign have been removed and the new sign is very clearly visible now.

The m6 23/05/19
    YBXIa8L.jpg

Here are new signs the m17 will soon be getting
    q6C56ZF.jpg

M18 junction 16 gort 24/05/19
    lVQ463I.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

M18 junction 16 gort 24/05/19
    lVQ463I.jpg

Is that a new sign, or what is it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Is that a new sign, or what is it?
    It's a VMS, variable message sign. Many of these deployed around the interurban network but rarely used. Of course, the ones on the M50 and Dublin approach motorways are constantly used.

Indeed, now I look at it closely... cheers.

The m17 at bauilphuil Corofin 02/06/15
    GI7ct13.jpg
    02/06/19
    ZW1WLge.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

02/06/19
    ZW1WLge.jpg

Are there any cars using this road? All the pictures posted here show an empty road.

02/06/19
    ZW1WLge.jpg

Are there any cars using this road? All the pictures posted here show an empty road.

3 Cars in this pic....

Looks like it was taken around 6am as well.

3 Cars in this pic....

Looks like it was taken around 6am as well.

There are few cars in any pictures posted on this thread since it opened. Before it opened there was a procession of tractors and another one of cyclists.

Never been one of cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Never been one of cars.

Yes you are 100% right, there has never been a single car on this motorway since it opened!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

There is always cars on it. Not the flow of the M50 or M7 but it is not quiet.

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Yes you are 100% right, there has never been a single car on this motorway since it opened!

I am just commenting on the absence of any congestion on it in the photos posted. Now it could be the photos are taken at quiet times - but all of them?

Of course it is used, but is there the amount of traffic predicted when it went ahead of the M20 for construction?

I drove from Limerick to Cork a couple of months ago and yes a motorway is badly needed. Two of our major cities with no proper road infrastructure is terrible. I wouldn't fancy having to travel that way all the time.

A motorway should be fast tracked and signed sealed and delivered. Even if it was ready to be built it will still take a long time before it is ready for use.

• Advertisement

I drove from Limerick to Cork a couple of months ago and yes a motorway is badly needed. Two of our major cities with no proper road infrastructure is terrible. I wouldn't fancy having to travel that way all the time.

A motorway should be fast tracked and signed sealed and delivered. Even if it was ready to be built it will still take a long time before it is ready for use.

Gort to Tuam has a motorway

Gort to Tuam has a motorway

What the hell are you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

What the hell are you on about?

He is on about the motorway that the title of this video pertains to.
    Blaming this motorway for a lack of motorway between Cork and Limerick is quite pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Carol25

I am just commenting on the absence of any congestion on it in the photos posted. Now it could be the photos are taken at quiet times - but all of them?

Of course it is used, but is there the amount of traffic predicted when it went ahead of the M20 for construction?

There is a lot of traffic using the M17, but it is not like the M50 or M7 which are full to capacity. It works really well and is a fantastic reduction in journey time from North to South.
    One great development I’ve noticed recently is a new GoBus service from Galway to the main towns in Mayo. It uses this motorway and would never have set up a service on the old infrastructure. Bus Eireann’s service to Mayo over the years has been pitiful to say the least, while demand has always been there for a frequent faster service to serve Galway city.

Mahanagh bridge on the m17 03/06/19
    zqiS7cy.jpg
    The bridge face is starting to dis colour

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

GortPatrickswell to Tuam has a motorway/dual-carraigeway

fixed that for you ;) Now if we only could get the M20 started there would be motorway/Dualler from Cork to Tuam!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I'm not a professional photographer, by I would imagine that if you are taking pictures of motorways that they look better when there are no cars.
    As such I would imagine that M17 is good enough to be patient and tries to take photos of the acutal motorway, with minimal distractions (ie cars)
    Otherwise, there would be a load of noise relating to "would ya look at the state of that bmw" or "fecking tractors on the motorway" etc etc.
    Afterall this tread is about the infrastructure project and not about the vehicles that use it.

I'm not a professional photographer, by I would imagine that if you are taking pictures of motorways that they look better when there are no cars.
    As such I would imagine that M17 is good enough to be patient and tries to take photos of the acutal motorway, with minimal distractions (ie cars)
    Otherwise, there would be a load of noise relating to "would ya look at the state of that bmw" or "fecking tractors on the motorway" etc etc.
    Afterall this tread is about the infrastructure project and not about the vehicles that use it.
    Probably needs a couple of pictures with traffic to silence the critics who say it's always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

actually, talking about this road, and talking about cars.....

Since they changed the layout on the roundabout from exit 9 southbound, it has cuased tailbacks southbound prior to the exit. They even have a sign up tellling people to use the hard shoulder to Queue. There looked to be a serious enough acident there a couple of weeks ago.
    I imagine that unless it is changed there will be a morning fatality within a couple of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Probably needs a couple of pictures with traffic to silence the critics who say it's always empty.
    It doesn't.

Critics, including those on this thread, could, if they were bothered, look up the road statistics, which can be found here.

And what those will tell you is that eleven thousand vehicles a day are using the M17 (and on Fridays that goes to over fourteen thousand).

So eleven thousand vehicles are using the road every day, but, because we don't see them in the photos, the road is empty ... :rolleyes:

Advertisement