Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭buzz_E

antoobrien wrote: »

We're not exactly tolerant of such laziness here - .

who the hell do you think you are! dont make me to start being rude, other than you will be regretful after what type of swearword you heard... shut up and go away...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

buzz_E wrote: »
    who the hell do you think you are! dont make me to start being rude, other than you will be regretful after what type of swearword you heard... shut up and go away...

Stop being a crybaby, I didn't insult you or swear at you I just called your post lazy and pointed out that the answer is on the page. If you don't like that report the post.

I won't be shutting up and going away as I'll be one of the people tracking this project and reporting its progress if and when it gets off the ground, so play nice with the regular contributors.

Regardless of what you feel about the validity of your question, it's one that has come up every few pages since the tender was announced 4 years ago and is getting tired to the point of looking like trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭buzz_E

I'll be one of the people tracking this project and reporting its progress if and when it gets off the ground, so play nice with the regular contributors..

regular contributors my smelly a...e hahaaa

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭GalwayMagpie

Stop being a crybaby, I didn't insult you or swear at you I just called your post lazy and pointed out that the answer is on the page. If you don't like that report the post.

I won't be shutting up and going away as I'll be one of the people tracking this project and reporting its progress if and when it gets off the ground, so play nice with the regular contributors.

Regardless of what you feel about the validity of your question, it's one that has come up every few pages since the tender was announced 4 years ago and is getting tired to the point of looking like trolling.

Is it possible to sticky a post at the top of the page, to detail just such info, and save your good self much grief?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,764 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is it possible to sticky a post at the top of the page, to detail just such info, and save your good self much grief?

The first sticky on the forum is, and has been for some time, a start dates thread.

• Advertisement

As MYOB has pointed out we have the facilities but some people refuse to either use or believe them.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

buzz_E wrote: »
    regular contributors my smelly a...e hahaaa
    Behave.

• Site Banned Posts: 166 ✭✭Cash is king

Any news on this or is it a dead duck?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Any news on this or is it a dead duck?

I think the sale of state assets is still pending in order for this to get the go-ahead. There's a bit of talk about the future re-tendering process from Varadkar mentioned on the radio a few weeks back but that's all I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 SMacBloscaidh

yer man! wrote: »
    I think the sale of state assets is still pending in order for this to get the go-ahead. There's a bit of talk about the future re-tendering process from Varadkar mentioned on the radio a few weeks back but that's all I heard.

I wonder will the impending sale of Irish Life kick start this into life.
    As someone was has recently moved to Mayo and working in Galway, Claregalway has become a pain in the ass for me in the mornings (i feel sorry for those who have been putting up with it for far longer than me). I hope this gets moving soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Tender award later this year - possibly as early as August.
    According to area NRA Inspectors anyway.

I wonder will the impending sale of Irish Life kick start this into life.

Unlikely as that money won't count against the general budget or troika targets, so using it to fund things that had not been secured - like this -will be frowned at.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Neither the Irish Life sale NOR the 4G Mobile licence sales were earmarked for this project ( in part) we must wait for Bord Gáis or Coilte or Aer Lingus to be sold. The state only needs to earmark around €117m out of one of those sales to kickstart this project or so I was informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭f2

Has the project been retendered.

f2 wrote: »
    Has the project been retendered.

Not yet. If it's Leo's aim to get this going this year and a re-tender is required then it will have to be tendered too as the process takes 6-9 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

From Galway Bay FM:
    It's hoped that work on the final section of the M17/M18 motorway from Gort to Tuam will get underway by the end of this year.

Minister of State and Galway East TD Ciaran Cannon says there has been a commitment of 20 million euro from the Department of Public Expenditure as an initial deposit to get negotiations underway.

Speaking on Galway Talks, Minister Cannon says the Public Private Partnership (PPP) project will be a key piece of infrastructure for the West of Ireland and will create hundreds of construction jobs.

Director of Services at Galway County Council Frank Gilmore has welcomed the public commitment but says he'll be seeking further talks with the NRA and the Department of Transport.
    Just a "commitment" to "get negotiations underway". So, no diggers on the ground yet, but "it's hoped that work ... will get underway by the end of this year."

Doesn't seem promising for a 2013 start to me.

serfboard wrote: »
    From Galway Bay FM:

Just a "commitment" to "get negotiations underway". So, no diggers on the ground yet, but "it's hoped that work ... will get underway by the end of this year."

Doesn't seem promising for a 2013 start to me.

Damn you beat me to it.

It's better than the news that came outat Monday night's Galway Co Co meeting that the motorways allocation was being cut in half from the amount allocated in the 2012 roads programme. That means a reduction from 17.9m to about 8.6m. The Gort-Tuam road had an allocation of 12.4m. That would alomost certainly mean no start this year, however today's news looks a little better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭what_traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

RTE say no toll, was that always the case, seem to remember discussion of the location?

Neworder79 wrote: »
    RTE say no toll, was that always the case, seem to remember discussion of the location?

I dont mind paying it as that road does my head in. This is great news for everyone that the road is finally being built.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭f2

There was never to be a toll on this road, but it was mentioned in several corners, I hope this wasnt another false start.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

And Ciaran Cannon just retweeted journalist Enda Cunningham's link to tomorrow's Connaught Tribune front page -

BEI4euSCQAAUqUI.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

I dont mind paying it as that road does my head in. This is great news for everyone that the road is finally being built.

Not good news for West on Track though:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

westtip wrote: »
    Not good news for West on Track though:D

West on Track should be turned into a Greenway and forget about running trains on it.:(

West on Track should be turned into a Greenway and forget about running trains on it.:(

And the man that proposed it buried beneth!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

I'm all for motorway construction, but I'm not anti-rail - after all, I ride the train every workday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Bards

The Irish TImes has the article too this morning

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2013/0228/1224330607055.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

The NRA has been given its share of the money by the government. It's now up to the NRA to negotiate the rest of the money through a PPP:
    Hundreds of jobs are expected to be created by the construction of the €550 million Gort-to-Tuam motorway in Co Galway, which has been given final clearance by Government.

The National Roads Authority confirmed yesterday it had been told to proceed with the 57km public-private partnership after the Government approved its share of funding for the project on Tuesday.

The motorway project had been suspended in light of the economic downturn, but the NRA will now re-engage with its preferred bidder, the Direct Route consortium.

A spokesman said it was hoped construction work would get under way by the end of the year.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2013/0228/1224330607055.html

Hopefully the negotiations between the NRA and Direct Route will be concluded quickly and Direct Route will be able to raise the money needed to finish the project.

Neworder79 wrote: »

Yes this was always the case, but confusion was caused by people (including Leo) saying that new motorways will need to be tolled.

Just to be clear (again) there is no provision for a toll in the plans for this project. Given the fact that the project is at shovel ready stage (it has gotten full PP) it would require a redesign to add a toll at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Yes this was always the case, but confusion was caused by people (including Leo) saying that new motorways will need to be tolled.

Just to be clear (again) there is no provision for a toll in the plans for this project. Given the fact that the project is at shovel ready stage (it has gotten full PP) it would require a redesign to add a toll at this stage.

How long do youthink it will take Direct Route to raise the finance? Would they have had this in place when they won the tendor?

Being very optimistic, when do you think this could start? Any chance of during the summer?

Advertisement