Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

The PPP is design & build so I guess they have the option, however without requiring more CPOs and possibly another EIS it would be a big delay in designing anything else (except a Cloverleaf, which Irish drivers could never be able to handle).

I doubt it would require significant more CPOs and environmental impacts wouldn't be any more adverse than a huge roundabout if they went for a whirlpool or cloverleaf. There's just no real need for such idiocy when it can be rectified now. It won't really affect the tendering process all that much.

I don't think a "design and build" would allow them to significantly change a junction design. If it did, they'd just go for the lowest cost option and crash all the motorways together at an at-grade mini-roundabout or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

The PPP is design & build so I guess they have the option, however without requiring more CPOs and possibly another EIS it would be a big delay in designing anything else (except a Cloverleaf, which Irish drivers could never be able to handle).

Yeah this is going to construction next year and the the last thing we want to see is more delays. I hate this drawn out PPP process. It should have been prioritised ahead of the M3 in the first place.

Anyone want to bet on the M17/M18 scheme not going ahead next year?

tech2 wrote: »
    Anyone want to bet on the M17/M18 scheme not going ahead next year?

I'll grimly take that bet.

I reckon they'll find a way to push it back.

Mid 2011 is the earliest I can see it happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Yeah their target date for contract signing is late 2010.

However, I can still see this one being pushed. Its the first of the PPPs that will be ready to go, and since its the end of 2010 and the interurbans are supposadly finished by Dec 31 2010, I cant see the government not having any roads being built at a given time. Castleisland will probably (?) be done by then and Crush - Gort will be done.

I really cant see the roads loving FF government having absolutely nothing under construction in early 2011, and this one is the closest to starting. (Unless a piss easy scheme like Longford or Carrg-Midleton being magically revived to have something quick and cheap ready to go)

Edit: Just checked.

Everything in the "Under construction" list on the NRA website is scheduled to be done by end 2010 except for Castleisland (Q1 2011) and Crusheen - Gort (Q2 2011). The latter will probably be really done by Races 2010 and Castleisland by Q4 2010 at a guess. With the exception of one of the N7s (which may be rushed to make the 'end of 2010 for the interurbans' thing), there will be nothing in construction in early 2011 unless the PPPs get signed on time.

Despite all the financial woes, I cant see the Road Loving FF government allowing that. Something will start, most likely M17/18 PPP or Newlands/N11.

Plea for private funds to plug €1bn roads shortfall

It also emerged last night that the private sector will be asked to fund €1bn worth of key motorway projects because the National Roads Authority (NRA) has run out of money to build new roads.

The NRA will be looking for expressions of interest from the private sector to fund key roads on the west and east coasts.

They include the €100m upgrade of Newlands Cross in Dublin which will allow traffic from Cork and Limerick to access the M50 without having to stop at traffic lights.

The four schemes going to the market are:

A 53km motorway from Gort in Co Galway to Tuam. It is planned to eventually extend the road to Letterkenny.
    A 16km motorway from Arklow to Rathnew.
    Upgrading of the Newlands Cross junction on the N7, estimated to cost €100m.
    A 43km motorway linking Gorey to Enniscorthy in Co Wexford, bypassing Enniscorthy and New Ross. An Bord Pleanala will hold a public hearing next month on this scheme.

But a NRA spokesman insisted none of the new roads -- assuming that funding can be sourced -- will be tolled.

"Our strategy is that we have reduced funding and have anticipated difficulty in funding road schemes," he said.

"The reduced funding will present difficulties but we've a very good track record on PPPs (public private partnerships) having already raised €2bn.

"We have no proposals to toll these roads, they won't be tolled. We would look at traffic volumes and the economics of it and you won't have the traffic volumes (for tolling). They will be paid for in instalments.

"The economic climate has changed but we're confident the private sector will recognise the benefit of these schemes and we will honour our commitments. We are optimistic the money will come and obviously there's jobs for the construction industry."

Slashed

The NRA has seen its funding cut from €1.6bn in 2007 to €1.44bn this year. Most of this money is earmarked for completion of the motorway network next year -- which will see motorways linking Dublin with Cork, Waterford, Limerick and Galway completed -- and next year's budget is expected to be slashed.

Link

Nothing we already know tbh.

• Advertisement

It also emerged last night that the private sector will be asked to fund €1bn worth of key motorway projects because the National Roads Authority (NRA) has run out of money to build new roads.

Oh my god what a relevelation!

Weve known about this for how long? Guess the Independant dont go to the NRA website.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

What class of a complete divvy writes that "The NRA will be looking for expressions of interest from the private sector to fund key roads on the west and east coasts." when they tendered for this ppp money 6 month ago ????

One wonders whether they are about to re tender ???

Well in a sense yes, I think so. The tender that was out a while back I think was for expressions of interest or pre-tenders. Soon (not sure of the timescale off the top of my head), it'll be tender proper. I think anyway, I could be wrong about all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Wondering if anyone is more up to date on this new road.. Has it started, is iot going ahead ? and will it link into the dublin galway road thats currently been completed from oranmore to doughiska.

N17/ N18 Gort to Tuam
    (approx. 53 km of motorway/ dual carriageway).

http://www.nra.ie/Publications/DownloadableDocumentation/PublicPrivatePartnership/file,16119,en.pdf

"LENGTH:57 KM Motorway/Dual Carriageway
    The development of a high quality dual carriageeway/ motorway link between Letterkenny and Waterford (Atlantic Corridor) is a specific objective of the National Development Plan (NDP) 2007 – 2013 and the proposed N17/N18 PPP Scheme represents a part of the proposed network.
    The N17/N18 PPP Scheme replaces the existing N17 and N18 providing bypasses for the towns of Clarinbridge, Claregalway and Tuam where significant delays frequently occur. The project will significantly improve safety, reduce journeytimes, improve connectivity within the western region and significantly assist in the economic development of BMW (Border, Midlands and Western) regions."

more info hear..

http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/RoadsTransportation/RoadProjects/m17/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Limerick to Athenry and possibly to Tuam is apparently going to go ahead .
    I'd prefer a Limerick to Galway , then onto Tuam Motorway but the powers that be have decided to keep it too far away from Galway to be as effective as it could be.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

It is being constructed on a public private partnership basis and the tenders for the project have been shortlisted. The compulsory purchase orders have been approved but it will take a lot of money to purchase the land required for the road to proceed. Can't see it happening within the next five years. It is supposed to intersect the main M6 motorway at Rathmorrissey (near Athenry) but according to roads officials with Galway County Council, it is a long way off.

Fencing seems to be underway buy have'nt heard of any land been brought up yet.. Would'nt the land be a compulsory purchase thereby allowing the NRA to set a price that best suits them. On this, does everyone get the same value or does each fight there own battle ?

I was actually going to start a thread on this at some stage. It is planned to start Q4 2010 if everything goes to plan which it probably wont. Funding is the key word nowadays.

Good thread, I think it'll be a good idea to keep tabs on this scheme because it's looking like this is the one that'll give us indications as to where the other PPPs will end up.

http://www.nra.ie/PublicPrivatePartnership/SecondPPPRoadsProgramme/

Could the OP rename it to M17/M18 as it was redesignated please? I will be extremely happy if it goes ahead. Here is the map of the scheme:

tuam-gort.jpg

Consortia list for the PPP contract
    In January 2009 the Authority published the OJEU contract notice for the first of these schemes, the N17/N18 Gort to Tuam PPP Scheme. The Authority received seven expressions of interest for this competition. A detailed evaluation of these submissions was completed and the shortlisted consortia along with their constituent members are as follows:

Name of Consortia Members of Consortia
    1 BAM Balfour Beatty BAM PPP
    Balfour Beatty Capital Ltd
    2 Direct Route Allied Irish Bank
    Strabag SE
    John Sisk & Sons (Holdings) Ltd
    Roadbridge
    Lagan Construction Limited
    3 Eurolink (N17/N18 Consortium)
    Cintra Concesiones De Infrastructuras de Transporte S.A.
    SIAC Construction Ltd
    4 GASTA Roads Global Via Infraestructuras S. A.
    Macquarie Capital Group Limited
    P.Elliott & Company Ltd
    Wills Bros Ltd

I would like Direct Route to carry out the construction as Roadbridge are on the list.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

<santa hat on> Ho! Ho! Ho! <santa hat off>

I posted this also on the N18 Ennis-Galway thread:
    The overall construction price of the Gort to Tuam PPP scheme (inclusive of design costs and land costs) is in the region of €700 million. In relation to private funding for the new PPP schemes, the current market conditions make the raising of private funding difficult. However, PPP deals are still being concluded around Europe. In the case of the Irish PPP road schemes, these deal will not conclude until about Q3/Q4 of next year at which stage the financial markets may be in a better place.

We should know if this will go ahead by mid next year.

FWIW Gort to Athenry is CPOed and fenced off. It was CPOed around the same time as Crusheen - Gort.

M17 Athenry to Tuam I dont think has been paid for yet land-wise.

Tuam bypass is still with ABP as it was originally approved as an S2 but the NRA naturally want it as 2+2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

I am getting an error message from the NRA website when I click on the N17 Oranmore - Gort section and on the N18 Tuam bypass section - have the NRA removed any updates to these projects?

• Advertisement

Why is there a toll in the tags below? :confused: There is going to be no toll on this road.
    Sponge Bob wrote:
    <santa hat on> Ho! Ho! Ho! <santa hat off>

We can wish for it anyway! :D. Something tells me that Dempsey probably wont be on next years christmas card list.

M17 Athenry to Tuam I dont think has been paid for yet land-wise.

Who's going to be paying for that? I don't think the PPP contractor is obliged to cough up the cash to purchase land.

If the NRA can't find the cash to aquire the land, the scheme stalls regardless of whether PPP investment is finalised.
    We can wish for it anyway! :D. Something tells me that Dempsey probably wont be on next years christmas card list.

Who knows, maybe he'll still get a card from me.

It won't say "Merry Christmas" though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Who's going to be paying for that? I don't think the PPP contractor is obliged to cough up the cash to purchase land.

If the NRA can't find the cash to aquire the land, the scheme stalls regardless of whether PPP investment is finalised.

The local authority/NRA/exchequer has to fund the purchase of the lands so that they can be handed over to the concessionaire to build the road.

Yeah basically the government pays for the land, and the concessionaire builds the road.

Just thought I would mention the following:

This route when complete will benefit traffic from Limerick to the Sligo/Donegal areas the most. This scheme would reduce journey times dramatically along with the Shannon Tunnel and Gort-Crusheen improvements.

Current it takes:
    Limerick-Sligo 3hr 7 mins

When all schemes are complete:
    Limerick-Sligo 2hr 20mins

I reckon this road will attract a lot more traffic when complete. It provides the people of the North west of Ireland easier access to the midwest and south.

Yeah basically the government pays for the land, and the concessionaire builds the road.

Any idea of the compulsary price per arce ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

The project will get underway in Jan 2011 (from PPP updates - adding 3 months to contract award). It will open in July 2013 assuming a 2.5 year build time.

IF the government can pay the CPOs for the Rathmorrisey to Tuam sections and IF the PPP bidder can get funding from a bank, a big if with Ireland collapsing credit ratings.
    Any idea of the compulsary price per arce ?

Fraid not :( Its dropped but I have no idea. The M17 shouldnt be TOO much though as it goes through the middle of nowhere basically, but that still might be too much for the government :(

Fraid not :( Its dropped but I have no idea. The M17 shouldnt be TOO much though as it goes through the middle of nowhere basically, but that still might be too much for the government :(

Local rumours seem to be between 12 and 20K per arce which seems very high. Is this not public knowledge that should be available from NRA / County Council or alike ? Seems strange if its not since its tax euro thats paying it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Could the OP rename it to M17/M18 as it was redesignated please? I will be extremely happy if it goes ahead. Here is the map of the scheme:

tuam-gort.jpg

Why does that map show a bit of the Galway City Outer Bypass as being part of the M6 (the M6 is shown terminating on the N17, not the existing N6...)

Advertisement