Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

The announcement was a political stroke, it probably will go ahead to save face. Its a ridiculous situation land bought and paid for surveys done. Badly needed infrastructure'

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭f2

red bull wrote: »
    The announcement was a political stroke, it probably will go ahead to save face. Its a ridiculous situation land bought and paid for surveys done. Badly needed infrastructure'

Get real do you honestly think these companies sign contracts on a policital whim

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

The CPO vesting orders were published in the City Tribune this week for the N17 section of the project, the land will be taken over on August 1st and will be available for works from then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

I presume it's the Claregalway inner bypass you're talking about...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

antoobrien wrote: »
    The CPO vesting orders were published in the City Tribune this week for the N17 section of the project, the land will be taken over on August 1st and will be available for works from then.

Now, here's a guess - I'm thinking that the consortium will bring in enough machinery and workers to construct around 25-30 km of road at any one time. They may start work in early 2015 (after site clearance/preparation this year) on the N18 section and Rathmorrisey (many different spellings of this it seems) Interchange and finish those parts in 2017. After earthworks on the N18 section, work might start on the M17 and N17 Tuam Bypass in 2016 with completion of those sections in 2018. This IMO would be a similar situation to what happened on the M6 Kinnegad to Athlone scheme - this road was contacted out in two sections and in that case, Bam did both contracts and IIRC, constructed the M6 K to A in a similar manner to what I described above.

What do you guys think?

• Advertisement

No this is one contract, I can see them doing the southern end first as the rock cleared will be wanted towards Tuam end, it was also stated at the oral hearing that there is enough rock at Gort end to fill Tuam end, I also remember reading that construction was to start at 3 locations

• Registered Users Posts: 45 johnc22

Hi all where will the compound be ... In gort or tuam. When will work start people I know are saying September ? .

What I heard is they are starting in the middle and working both ways, so that means one Base, around Athenry somewhere

What I heard is they are starting in the middle and working both ways, so that means one Base, around Athenry somewhere

Ah I see not so bad I wonder who got the fencing contract ,

The bits I've seen are already fenced around Athenry

• Advertisement

Does anyone really know when it's going to start ?

very little fenced overall and the majority of it was done at the landowners request, the rest was where the archoligests wanted it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Naux

:pac:

Its like the Garth Brooks Saga in reverse!!

Have the planning to a tee but no performers:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 flat 2 the.....

Just herd today from a sourse that work wont start till january 2015 , anyone else hear this or is this false information

Just herd today from a sourse that work wont start till january 2015 , anyone else hear this or is this false information

Now you see, political opertunity before elections. Of course this project will go ahead but when.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sonnyblack

If that is the case then I will have to eat humble pie and acknowledge to anfield1978 that he/she was right all along.

It would amaze me I have to say that a roads contract would be signed at the end of april and that works would not commence on site until 8 months later. My own guess is that some sort of clearance and cutting will start after the august bank holiday weekend. Someone mnetioned that they is a lot of rock on one end of the scheme. Why can't rock breaking begin in the short term? It would be one less job to do and give a good headstart

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

sonnyblack wrote: »
    It would amaze me I have to say that a roads contract would be signed at the end of april before an election and that works would not commence on site until 8 months later.
    Doesn't amaze me at all for the FYP reason above.

"Bread and circuses" as the Romans used to call it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Not much on this thread lately apart from unsourced speculation and wisecracks about elections. Can we limit our posts to news about actual work people know to be taking place on the scheme?

If that is the case then I will have to eat humble pie and acknowledge to anfield1978 that he/she was right all along.

It would amaze me I have to say that a roads contract would be signed at the end of april and that works would not commence on site until 8 months later. My own guess is that some sort of clearance and cutting will start after the august bank holiday weekend. Someone mnetioned that they is a lot of rock on one end of the scheme. Why can't rock breaking begin in the short term? It would be one less job to do and give a good headstart

Planning permission and blasting the rock may have problems with houses near by and they would need to get crushers and screders on site and they will probably tender out the rock work to some company , which all takes alot of time

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sonnyblack

I'll probably be killed for speculating but here goes. did I recall that someone said on this thread that Wills Construction were going to be undertaking the groundworks for the scheme but wouldn;t be able to start until after they had finished the Ballaghadreen bypass. Well, that's opening on the August Bank Holiday weekend. Wonder if they'll make a start on Gort Tuam after that.

• Advertisement

I'll probably be killed for speculating but here goes. did I recall that someone said on this thread that Wills Construction were going to be undertaking the groundworks for the scheme but wouldn;t be able to start until after they had finished the Ballaghadreen bypass. Well, that's opening on the August Bank Holiday weekend. Wonder if they'll make a start on Gort Tuam after that.
    Is wills bros not doing the m11 at the moment in arklow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Is wills bros not doing the m11 at the moment in arklow

No that's BAM

tonc76 wrote: »
    No that's BAM

Are wills doing the earthmoving

spoke to 2 men yesterday[met them on the ground near Tuam], they didnt say who they were working for, had a map of M17 with them, said fencing to start next October, work to begin at 3 different sections, Tuam end, Gort end and possibly at Athenry junction

Arent they taken there time getting started for such a big project , they must have all the area well surveyed.is there any bog or bad ground along this project

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Arent they taken there time getting started for such a big project , they must have all the area well surveyed.is there any bog or bad ground along this project

I am surprised they allowed such a long time between signing contracts and actually starting. Just seems surprising to me

glineli wrote: »
    I am surprised they allowed such a long time between signing contracts and actually starting. Just seems surprising to me

EIECTIONS

More CPO vesting orders published in the tribune over the weekend, lands to vest on August 22nd.

Bit hard to do work if the land isn't available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

antoobrien wrote: »
    More CPO vesting orders published in the tribune over the weekend, lands to vest on August 22nd.

Bit hard to do work if the land isn't available.

Sorry, i thought all land had been CPO'ed already

• Advertisement

Sorry, i thought all land had been CPO'ed already

Yes, but the vesting order to officially change the ownership of the land hadn't been processed.

Advertisement