Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

Gridlock in Galway if outer ring road not constructed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

red bull wrote: »

Diggers rolling next week drivers hired

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

gally74 wrote: »

Thank god for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭busyatwork

gally74 wrote: »

They musn't be watching the weather could pick a worst week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

flazio wrote: »
    Already is, the motorway isn't heading for Oranmore, it's heading for Athenry.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Rathmorissy was officially in Oranmore, as the golf club (in Palmerstown ) is "officially" in Ornamore.

• Advertisement

Where exactly is Rathmorrisey?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

JillyQ wrote: »

The junction will be the other side of the woods that Athenry Golf Club backs onto.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

In Google Earth or Bing Maps, you can see the wider tarmac where the on-off ramps will be on the current M6.

And the OSI have pencilled in the junction.

And the maps spell it Rathmorrissy

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

red bull wrote: »

Certainly far more traffic hitting the the end of the Dublin-Galway motorway when all the Limerick-Galway traffic merges in come 2018.

The GCOB will be badly needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It won't take much traffic off clarinbridge or surrounding, I will probably be talking the kilternan exit to get into galway. The other one, although it connects to a motorway, is rather far out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Carnacalla wrote: »
    It won't take much traffic off clarinbridge or surrounding, I will probably be talking the kilternan exit to get into galway. The other one, although it connects to a motorway, is rather far out.

I think that continuing on the the Motorway you'd be at Ballybriy quicker assuming speed limits and traffic levels are normal.

Similarly, when this opens, ill be using M6-M18 to get Athlone-Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭ratracer

On my way home this morning, I spotted one of the houses along the route being demolished. It's been empty for the past two/three years after the CPO of it. Hopefully its the start of the works!!

I'd agree with other posters though, when finished, it will still be quicker to stay on the motorway when travelling north to Galway than getting off and going through Clarinbridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

ratracer wrote: »
    On my way home this morning, I spotted one of the houses along the route being demolished. It's been empty for the past two/three years after the CPO of it. Hopefully its the start of the works!!

I'd agree with other posters though, when finished, it will still be quicker to stay on the motorway when travelling north to Galway than getting off and going through Clarinbridge.

Good to see,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

They might also make the existing Gort to Galway road an 80kph road.

glineli wrote: »
    They might also make the existing Gort to Galway road an 80kph road.

Why would they do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Why would they do that?

Well the old road all the way down from Gort to Shannon has been moved down to 80kph so just basing on past experience

glineli wrote: »
    Well the old road all the way down from Gort to Shannon has been moved down to 80kph so just basing on past experience

They haven't done it on the old N6.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Will the declassify the old road from national to regional? In that case they might drop the limit to 80kph.

Geogregor wrote: »
    Will the declassify the old road from national to regional? In that case they might drop the limit to 80kph.

Almost definitely. The old n7 is now a regional as well as the old single lane n18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,752 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bypassed former nationals are increasingly retaining their 100km/h limits, particularly on previously upgraded sections.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

L1011 wrote: »
    Bypassed former nationals are increasingly retaining their 100km/h limits, particularly on previously upgraded sections.

The local councils can change them back up to 100km, but the default speed limit for a regional road is 80km.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

Is there some greater latitude on planning when downgrading to 80KPH?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

They haven't done it on the old N6.

The old N6 is a relatively good road compared to the Gort road, which already has limited stretches and a lot of double white lines.

The old N6 is a relatively good road compared to the Gort road, which already has limited stretches and a lot of double white lines.

im aware of that. The road between oranmore & gort is fairly good for most it bar one or two areas.

im aware of that. The road between oranmore & gort is fairly good for most it bar one or two areas.

I agree, where as between the Clare Inn and gort, they were not near as good.

I agree, where as between the Clare Inn and gort, they were not near as good.

It certainly isnt great i would say regardless of whether it is an R road or an N road it needs work done onit

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Taytomal

Fencing going up this week on R446 between Mother Hubbards and Coldwood school...

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭busyatwork

Well work has started all be at a snails pace, compond for Roadbridge in tuam and Sisk have started the entrience to their compound on the Galway to Roscommon Road
    But no sign of heavy plant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Shurwhynot

Will this make getting from Limerick to Galway quicker? Or will the existing Gort to Galway road be the quickest way?

Advertisement