Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

klutch wrote: »
    any idea who is doing the quarry work? i would have thought mctigues but from what i know it's limerick based company that are doing it

If you'd have used the thread search, you'd have found out that it's Coshla Quarry, probably in less time than it's taken me to type this post.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

antoobrien wrote: »
    If you'd have used the thread search, you'd have found out that it's Cashla Quarry, probably in less time than it's taken me to type this post.
    Yikes Anto.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,881 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

One of our walking routes around Kilaloonty will be demolished with the motorway.

This is down at the water treatment plant looking towards The West Wing

10343519_10155149119935307_4559994834493872551_n.jpg?oh=c9bd52d3bfb45afda8ccb86535d881e6&oe=554DE5C3&__gda__=1435310012_ffdfc8bfede7183c8ac1f1fe3f7a56b410897008_10155149119885307_7480408612907472171_n.jpg?oh=fbae3563a0b2eb14b5d1dac9f138c13d&oe=55530FC6&__gda__=1431705235_25e87ba7896761e1c070eabe6745cb2b

And this is looking the opposite way towards Ballygaddy.

10311933_10155149119930307_8547840160294543097_n.jpg?oh=ce5b64b04d9f5ac9cf7e5ff56f6dbd0b&oe=5596FD86

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

2600 odd posts in, almost 8 years old, this thread is now getting some clear evidence of work beginning - and that [insert deity of choice] for that!
    Hopefully traffic will have a well worn path on this road and it has made life easier for those that use it in the next 8 years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

It will take several different quarries to supply material to the job. While Coshla, Harrington and Mortimers are some of the closest on the northern end of the scheme the contractor will inevitably open a number of borrow pits on the scheme. Depend on the material found in these burrows it may be used to provide various materials (804, CBM, capping, 1A, pit face etc). May even be suitable for drainage backfill material. This will be extracted by any one of a number of drilling, blasting and crushing subcontractors (Mctigue, Costello, atlantic etc).
    The material on Kilskeagh hill has been the subject of a lot of planning issues in recent years. The trees were cleared from that prior to planning being applied for and led to several protests from locals. Burrow pits within the confines of the site are usually not troublesome. Its where someone near the road scheme has a hill of rock and thinks that he/she will sell it for a quick buck. This then becomes a development that is subjected to the laws of the planning system.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭busyatwork

Ascii wrote: »
    It will take several different quarries to supply material to the job. While Coshla, Harrington and Mortimers are some of the closest on the northern end of the scheme the contractor will inevitably open a number of borrow pits on the scheme. Depend on the material found in these burrows it may be used to provide various materials (804, CBM, capping, 1A, pit face etc). May even be suitable for drainage backfill material. This will be extracted by any one of a number of drilling, blasting and crushing subcontractors (Mctigue, Costello, atlantic etc).
    The material on Kilskeagh hill has been the subject of a lot of planning issues in recent years. The trees were cleared from that prior to planning being applied for and led to several protests from locals. Burrow pits within the confines of the site are usually not troublesome. Its where someone near the road scheme has a hill of rock and thinks that he/she will sell it for a quick buck. This then becomes a development that is subjected to the laws of the planning system.

It alot of this not known before the submit tenders sure Rock and gravel is one of the biggest expences on these jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 13 klutch

a answer with less attitude, thanks.. and you named one there.. Costellos are doing quarry work up there as i spoke with diarmuid himself and he is looking for machine drivers for there and has hired a house in tuam for staff

klutch wrote: »
    a answer with less attitude, thanks.. and you named one there.. Costellos are doing quarry work up there as i spoke with diarmuid himself and he is looking for machine drivers for there and has hired a house in tuam for staff

there is also another contract crushing crew from creegs co roscommon getting ready to get ripping

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭f2

seen a sign in Corofin village, turn off towards Ballybanagher :no access for heavy construction equiptment: are the natives restless!! Does anyone know the tonnage of peat, subsoil to be dumped?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

busyatwork wrote: »
    there is also another contract crushing crew from creegs co roscommon getting ready to get ripping

Gannon Bros ?

It will take several different quarries to supply material to the job. While Coshla, Harrington and Mortimers are some of the closest on the northern end of the scheme the contractor will inevitably open a number of borrow pits on the scheme.

The amount of rock quarried will depend on the amount they can reuse from work on the road itself. IIRC a lot of the rock used on the M6 came from blasting operations on the route.

I had to drive through Kilcloghans earlier and they have the fencing up through there and two walls knocked through. All of the regular walkways for people are gonna be gone.

red bull wrote: »
    Gannon Bros ?

Thats them,,i see Roadbridge have a few bran new out of the box , diggers arriving and more to come

fencing should be complete on tuam bypass this week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

f2 wrote: »
    fencing should be complete on tuam bypass this week

Is that the whole scheme as it looks like some work to do on the Gort side?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I had to drive through Kilcloghans earlier and they have the fencing up through there and two walls knocked through. All of the regular walkways for people are gonna be gone.

Where are these walkways? never knew they existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

glineli wrote: »
    Is that the whole scheme as it looks like some work to do on the Gort side?

Just the tuam end. Different fencing contractor fencing the southern end of the scheme.

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    Where are these walkways? never knew they existed.

Well I shouldn't have called them walkways but they are areas where people regularly walk. Kilcloghans and Killaloonty are both popular (if slightly dangerous) walking routes.

People will always find other places to walk though.

Any more news on who is doing the earth works on lagans section

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Well I shouldn't have called them walkways but they are areas where people regularly walk. Kilcloghans and Killaloonty are both popular (if slightly dangerous) walking routes.

People will always find other places to walk though.

It would finish off a good year if the made a greenway of the rail line :D

I heard today there is problems with Roadbridge getting permission from Galway Co Co for dump sites for the subsoil, peat being dug out, anyone hear this?

I heard today there is problems with Roadbridge getting permission from Galway Co Co for dump sites for the subsoil, peat being dug out, anyone hear this?

Ya heard that today but i think its the amont of material being dumped is the problem ,what a load of muc galway co co slowing progress on a road that will be of huge benifit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

i drove out the roscommon road at the weekend, lots of fencing etc. done up around annagh hill, i hear soil is being dozed etc. around corrofin, ill go up there for a spin at the weekend and see, ill take some pics,

for anyone away from Galway the traffic is really pciking up the past 6 months and seems to be back at boom levels.

https://nraaudit.nra.ie/CurrentTrafficCounterData/html/N17-16.htm

busyatwork wrote: »
    Ya heard that today but i think its the amont of material being dumped is the problem ,what a load of muc galway co co slowing progress on a road that will be of huge benifit

Amazing to think, Galway Co Co selected the route and didnt plan on what to do with the muck, wonder if Co Co is trying to get money for plannjng

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Amazing to think, Galway Co Co selected the route and didnt plan on what to do with the muck, wonder if Co Co is trying to get money for plannjng

FFS you couldn't make it up its true if you want a job in the council a IQ test must be taken and if you fail miserably the job is yours..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

Digger at the west wing tuam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    It would finish off a good year if the made a greenway of the rail line :D

Seeing as they are building the motorway some donated land would make excellent cycle ways on either side of the motorway. What a lovely civic minded act :)

Digger at the west wing tuam

Same digger pulling furze, scrub on byroad to Tuam,through Cloonthooa. for last couple of wweks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 ConConor

Anyone have any idea where the Sisk site office is??

Great to see things get going finally!

Advertisement