Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Carthymore athenry monivea road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Will the M17 route pass near the new Apple facilty that is going to be built in Derrydonnell?

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Will the M17 route pass near the new Apple facilty that is going to be built in Derrydonnell?

You beat me to it! Yes, passing near where the Gort-Tuam motorwat bisects the Dublin-Galway motorway. Shrewd move by Apple

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0223/682120-apple-investment-galway/

The have started fencing at mahangh 7.2kms form tuam

The have started fencing at mahangh 7.2kms form tuam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 fcio

You beat me to it! Yes, passing near where the Gort-Tuam motorwat bisects the Dublin-Galway motorway. Shrewd move by Apple
    Fantastic news

Anyone know when they will advertise for jobs? I practically live in a datacenter as is at current work :D and this wont be far from home, nothing on their website yet just jobs in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

fcio wrote: »
    Fantastic news

Anyone know when they will advertise for jobs? I practically live in a datacenter as is at current work :D and this wont be far from home, nothing on their website yet just jobs in Cork

I'd say it'll be a while as the plans to build were just announced today, they haven't submitted for PP to build yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0223/682120-apple-investment-galway/

I hope this means they might build an on ramp onto the M17 at the apple plant, rather than having to enter the M17 via the M6 at athenry.

I hope this means they might build an on ramp onto the M17 at the apple plant, rather than having to enter the M17 via the M6 at athenry.

No. That would require a change of plans etc. It would also affect the motorway status of the road (too many junctions too close together)

Besides, there's already a link road from the motorway to the R348 and it'd be 3/4 miles from this, so it wouldn't be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

antoobrien wrote: »
    No. That would require a change of plans etc. It would affect the motorway status of the road (too many junctions too close together)

Besides, there's already a link road from the motorway to the R348 and it'd be 3/4 miles from this, so it wouldn't be worth it.
    indeed. And its only 100 employees for the data centre probably all working different shifts (meaning very spread out traffic from the miniscule work force) so absolutely no need for a separate junction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭terrarev

I doubt that will happen to be honest. I can't see any benefit to it seeing as once it's built there will be minimal traffic in and out of the datacentre. The best that might happen is an improved road between Derrydonnell and the Athenry M6 slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

It's not a plant though, it's a data center. Once they are up and running the level of "deliveries" to place will be quite minimal. That and you are looking at a max of 100 permanent jobs that working on a shift basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

dubhthach wrote: »
    It's not a plant though, it's a data center. Once they are up and running the level of "deliveries" to place will be quite minimal. That and you are looking at a max of 100 permanent jobs that working on a shift basis.

Yep,
    For the investment made, its a relatively low number of staff that will be working there eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

kippy wrote: »
    Yep,
    For the investment made, its a relatively low number of staff that will be working there eventually.

Most of the cost is on the actual infrastructure that will be hosted there, given the square meterage you are looking at probably on order of anything up to 100,000 servers. Even if it was considerably less, you're average spend per server is probably on order of 2-4k, so easily 50-70% of cost will be equipment costs etc.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/161772-microsoft-now-has-one-million-servers-less-than-google-but-more-than-amazon-says-ballmer

Some photo's of Microsoft Dublin Data center which cost over 500 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

terrarev wrote: »
    ... The best that might happen is an improved road between Derrydonnell and the Athenry M6 slip.

An improved road from Derrydonnell would make it a good bit quicker to get onto the M6 because at the moment you have to drive an extra km under the motorway & over to the athenry ringroad just to get onto the motorway.
    But that's looking unlikely now as there will only be 100 staff working there!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭terrarev

I'm not talking about a new road, an upgrade (widening/improved surface) of the existing road would mean you could get from Derrydonnell to the M6 in 5 minutes along the R348. I think that's very reasonable for the amount of extra traffic that will be on the road which will be minimal really. As it is it takes 6-7 minutes to do that journey.

On the M17 works, I was through Rathmorrissey this weekend and there are road works signs up and walls have been broken through for access.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭f2

just seen on galway co co e planning website, roadbridge have one incomplete application for dump site and one active application, galway co co own the active site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

I drove around corofin and an agh hill at the weekend about 10-15 diggers etc in corofin

Lots of fencing etc you can see the layout of the slip roads etc on the n63, the real earthworks will start soon, surprised how much was done

Can real earthworks commence without dumpsites?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

We have a hole! Galway road outta Tuam, west wing side, the beginning of the Tuam by pass!
    Non woven Terram and 6inch down. You could burn the ground, pure bog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭busyatwork

We have a hole! Galway road outta Tuam, west wing side, the beginning of the Tuam by pass!
    Non woven Terram and 6inch down. You could burn the ground, pure bog

Is it that bad there will it be a pilling job or cut and fill

busyatwork wrote: »
    Is it that bad there will it be a pilling job or cut and fill

I'd say it will be imported
    Both sides of he existing N17 is bog, maybe 10km east towards athenry & 3km west around the back of Tuam
    there is a great turf bog on the route,on the existing Athenry road, around Moylough concrete

I'd say it will be imported
    Both sides of he existing N17 is bog, maybe 10km east towards athenry & 3km west around the back of Tuam
    there is a great turf bog on the route,on the existing Athenry road, around Moylough concrete

Athenry road and mylough concrete not on the M17 Route

f2 wrote: »
    Athenry road and mylough concrete not on the M17 Route

You are right, I just checked map
    It looks to be running near parallel with the existing Tuam to Athenry road
    That said, there will be a large qty of bog between the N17 junction & the corofin/gills road,
    fire up that crusher!

I got a video a few weeks ago at Anagh Hill, today was the first chance I got to take some screen captures.

Excuse the quality of the captures, they were taken from a moving vehicle (somebody else was driving).

340101.jpg

340102.jpg

340103.jpg

340104.jpg

340105.jpg

340106.jpg

Just seen planning notices in Tuam Herald Roadbridge looking for planning for dumps for peat 80000 tonnes over 2 years

f2 wrote: »
    Just seen planning notices in Tuam Herald Roadbridge looking for planning for dumps for peat 80000 tonnes over 2 years

Why don't they contact Bord Na Móna, surely they'd find some use for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Or even their local MEP....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭busyatwork

What would bord Na Mona do with it if the took it

Advertisement