Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

serfboard wrote: »
    Two possibilities here - either he knows nothing can be done about it now and he's just saying it for the sake of saying it - i.e. Being cynical. Or
    He doesn't know that nothing can be done about it now; he never bothered his arse to do even a cursory check of the design and is therefore now making a fool of himself.

I suspect it's the former since he must know that Tom McHugh called for this a couple of years ago and got nowhere with it.

Looking for votes for next year's election

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭ratracer

Two large dumpers and two large diggers landed at Lagans near the railway line at Labane yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

serfboard wrote: »
    Two possibilities here - either he knows nothing can be done about it now and he's just saying it for the sake of saying it - i.e. Being cynical. Or
    He doesn't know that nothing can be done about it now; he never bothered his arse to do even a cursory check of the design and is therefore now making a fool of himself.

I suspect it's the former since he must know that Tom McHugh called for this a couple of years ago and got nowhere with it.

A wise man once said "..tis better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt..."
    A quick phone call on the QT to Galway NRDO would have set him straight before he started throwing sound bites around the place. Don't get me wrong, I like Sean....but in the event of an upcoming election in 18 months this really appears to be "vote getting" with all this "I am fighting for the people and business of tuam" nonsense.

Roadbrige where putting up signs around corofin

Sisk have rock blasting notice near there carthymore yard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Great activity around Kiltiernan. How deep do they have to dig? Also on back roads between Labane and Gort a lot of rock breaking going on.

Rock blasting starting in carthymore next Friday 01/05/15 at 12.30

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

I will do the northern end at the weekend and get some snaps if someone can get a few of the middle or the southern end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Any of you folk equipped to add the M17/M18 (under construction) to Openstreetmap?

(as has been done for the M11 Rathnew - Arklow)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Any of you folk equipped to add the M17/M18 (under construction) to Openstreetmap?

(as has been done for the M11 Rathnew - Arklow)

Yes, but we will need survey information. How about some GPS waypoints for the points where the mainline can be identified from crossing roads? Or indeed, if anybody can walk parts of the alignment that'd be mighty too.

I've already mapped the M6 junction (with a lot of poetic licence for now).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

mackerski wrote: »
    Or indeed, if anybody can walk parts of the alignment that'd be mighty too.

It's a long long way from Clare to here :)

I see the junctions - good work. There must be loads of GPS-walkers in Galway?

There's a few :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Taytomal

Does anyone know if - at the section between Coldwood and Mother Hubbards - the motorway will be going over the old N6, or if the old road will go over the motorway? Thx.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,108 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Taytomal wrote: »
    Does anyone know if - at the section between Coldwood and Mother Hubbards - the motorway will be going over the old N6, or if the old road will go over the motorway? Thx.
    The temporary re alignment opens on Monday, that would suggest to me that they are building a bridge over the motorway for the old rod

Czhornet wrote: »
    I passed a Komatsu 800 (80 tonne) digger on route to the motorway this morning. Some beast of a machine, a few more of these on site and they wont be long moving muck to where its supposed to be!!

It's in ballybanagher corofin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

m17 wrote: »

Gold rush

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭busyatwork

They must know somthing the rest of us dont know ,ya dont invest in such machinery for maximum 2 years muck shiften

I taken a few snaps around corofin the first two pics where taken on the first week of the project on the 22/01/15 and the others on the 25/04/15

I taken a few snaps around corofin the first two pics where taken on the first week of the project on the 22/01/15 and the others on the 25/04/15

If those are smartphone shots, did you geotag them with GPS position? If so, could you post the co-ordinates? That will help us update OpenStreetMap.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Wow, that is a beast.

Good to finally see some progress on pictures.

Any sign of works on the future junction with the M6? That will be complex and interesting site to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Some progress visible on southern side of Rathmorrisy at the weekend, but wasn't able to get any pics.

A lot more machinery at Kilteirnan this morning, will try to get pic on way home. Great to see activity.

The newsletter section on the directroute project website is being updated so will be interesting to see planned work for next few months

Geogregor wrote: »
    Wow, that is a beast.

Good to finally see some progress on pictures.

Any sign of works on the future junction with the M6? That will be complex and interesting site to watch.

I was told it is going to be Ireland's biggest roundabout

I was told it is going to be Ireland's biggest roundabout

I'd expect it to be rivalled by this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

haha this place is getting like the SABRE forums. Irelands biggest roundabout thread ahoy :D

We can only dream about having our own Hanger Lane. https://goo.gl/maps/XgWVN

Not the best picture in the world this morning at Kiltiernan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Great photos M17, construction works look to be coming along well.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭boosabum

slightly off topic, but did anyone see BBC4 last night and a documentary about the Brititsh motorway system.
    The M1 has 55 miles of motorway (110 of road in total) and 200 bridges. It was constructed in just 19 months back in the late 1950's.
    Amazing to think that some 60 years later these projects cannot be completed as efficently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭veryangryman

boosabum wrote: »
    slightly off topic, but did anyone see BBC4 last night and a documentary about the Brititsh motorway system.
    The M1 has 55 miles of motorway (110 of road in total) and 200 bridges. It was constructed in just 19 months back in the late 1950's.
    Amazing to think that some 60 years later these projects cannot be completed as efficently.

Probably a shedload more resources available for that particular road. Serving an estimated 20 million people, would probably get more attention than a road that probably serves 500,000 at a push.

Advertisement