Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics...

Options
  • 06-09-2009 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hey

I’m considering of studying economics next year in UCD. But I’m just wondering how difficult is the course and are the maths really hard (I only done ordinary level maths for my leaving, I don’t really like maths) and I’ve done economics for the LC. But is there any text book(s) that I could read to have a inside into the course and stuff like a Some text book you are studying in economics now

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Greg Mankiw's Principles of Economics is a good introductory book. If you're wondering about the mathematics component, try Ian Jacques' Mathematics for Economics and Business. Those will give you an idea of what you'll cover in year one. Yes, the mathematics will get progressively more difficult as the years go on, but it's not 'hard' maths, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

The cornerstone to first year economics in UCD is the book 'Principles of Economics' by Moore McDowell,Rodney Thom,Robert H Frank and Ben Bernanke,that chap running the Federal Reserve:D.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Principles-Economics-European-Moore-Mcdowell/dp/0077108310

Based on personal experiences having similar credentials (hatred of maths and OL Maths from the LC),you will need to improve on your graphs because by golly,you'll see a lot of them.:eek:

You'll see Moore in Micro and Rodney in Macro in first year.Both are absolute legends and it will take you the best part of 5 seconds whether this subject is worth your time.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭chave

GobBass wrote: »
    The cornerstone to first year economics in UCD is the book 'Principles of Economics' by Moore McDowell,Rodney Thom,Robert H Frank and Ben Bernanke,that chap running the Federal Reserve:D.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Principles-Economics-European-Moore-Mcdowell/dp/0077108310

Based on personal experiences having similar credentials (hatred of maths and OL Maths from the LC),you will need to improve on your graphs because by golly,you'll see a lot of them.:eek:

You'll see Moore in Micro and Rodney in Macro in first year.Both are absolute legends and it will take you the best part of 5 seconds whether this subject is worth your time.:D

rodney has retired. ive done pure econ for the last 2 years. i wouldnt say that the maths isnt too difficult if you work at it. i would recommend you do an elective in calculus in first year to get it better if yours isnt good. improve your differentiation/integration. 2nd needs more linear algebra/ stats. 3rd is supposed to be quite hard maths wise ive heard. financial/applied econometrics are tricky but ill let you know in 12 weeks if thats the case. if maths isnt your thing you might want to consider doing it as a joint major with another subject you like or maj/min. but all in all its a good course i reckon, very interesting and practical if your considering a career as an economist or in investment banking.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

Rodney retired? Aw man,he was a ledge.Especially in semester two last year when his phone went off and then had a lovely conversation.Funniest lecture moment for that semester at least.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Moore is also retired afaik.

And if you don't like maths, as distinct from "I'm not very good at it at the moment", I'd nearly suggest not doing Economics. Not quite, just know that Economics is basically a form of applied maths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Economics is reasonable enough subject in terms of difficulty, the maths is fine and shouldn't really present a major problem to anyone putting in a certain level of effort.

If you've done your research, read a bit and liked what you perceive as the general area of economics, I'd recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerry87

3rd level economics is nothing like LC economics. I didn't like it in the LC but did like it in uni.

Why don't you like maths? The maths can be slightly different since you're actually doing the maths for a reason, if you know what I mean. LC maths is just doing math for the sake of it, economics is more real-world problems. Can make a difference.

I think most people just give up on the maths before even trying, so those subjects tend to have high fail rates. It's really not overly hard.

If you want to have a read of something have a flick through some chapters of freakonomics. I'd imagine academic books will just look extremely boring and/or double dutch at this stage.

(Gutted about Rodney! Might have just been in the class i had him, but the man seemed to be magnetically attracted to chairs on stage, walked into a chair about 10 times each lecture.)

Advertisement