Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband with Short/No Contract

Options
  • 06-09-2009 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi All,

We are looking for 1Mbps+ broadband however, we cannot afford to commit to a 12 month contract since we may not be in the country due to the possibility of having to move with our jobs.

Therefore, we need some sort of broadband deal that has a short/no contract. I am aware that Eircom do a broadband-only deal that lasts for 6 months, but is there anything else around?

Please not, 3G is not an option.

Also, as far as line rental is concerned, we have a phone line in our flat but i'm pretty sure it's not "hooked up" to the network. How do we go about activating it, how much will it cost and how does using someone other than eircom affect it?

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Ask a neighbour if you can use their connection?

Other than that i don't think there is an option other than 3g..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

3G unfortunately almost never acts like broadband, certainly not outside of browsing. And they all have a 12 month contract I think, except for PAYG.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Can't be of much help op but would there not be some resellers out there who offer small contracts to entice customers?
    ...That was my first thought on the issue. Hope you find something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Also, as far as line rental is concerned, we have a phone line in our flat but i'm pretty sure it's not "hooked up" to the network. How do we go about activating it, how much will it cost and how does using someone other than eircom affect it?

Only eircom can connect a line, and there may or may not be a cost involved. You are free to use any other ISP once the line is active, and you have your UAN. They all impose 12 month contracts, but you can cancel early and pay a fee.

Don't let the contract be a deciding factor, as you won't get any broadband if you do. Just go with one, and if you have to move, then pay it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 GreenPlastic

Thats what seems like is the case. Currently looking into which provider is cheapest to paythe contract out.

Eircom 3Mb seems to be the cheapest option atm, since it's only a 6 month contract and they give you free connection and free router. It is however more expensive month-to-month. It also sounds like I'd have broadband within a week once I order it.

The other is Smart 2Mb, which is only a little more expensive to pay out, cheaper month to month but doesn't include a router... But it could take up to 2 weeks to get connected...

All of the previous take into consideration line rental.

Which would you all recommend?

• Advertisement
Advertisement