Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turkey mince (recipe ideas?)

Options
  • 06-09-2009 6:13pm

I picked up a pound of turkey mince today, purely because I can never find it. Apart from makinig turkey burgers, what else can be done with this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Anything that you can do with normal mince, really. Meatballs, koftas, bolognese, chilli, meatloaf.

Unfortunately it's not a patch on beef mince, no matter what way I cook the turkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Put it in stuffed vine leaves?

No recipe to hand, but a google should turn up trumps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭BrigR

Turkey Meat Loaf:
    Use a tablespoon or 2 of creme faiche to bind it, salt, pepper, chopped onion and whatever seasoning you fancy. Line a bread tin with rashers, fill with half of the turkey mince, add a layer of mushrooms or chopped peppers, add the rest of the mince and top with rashers. Oven bake for 45 to 60 min. You may need to strain the liquid when the meatloaf is almost done, the liquid makes a nice base for a gravy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Apparently turkey mince is very nice in enchiladas with sour cream etc. Turkey is very hard to get in NZ which is a shame, I really miss turkey rashers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Unfortunately it's not a patch on beef mince, no matter what way I cook the turkey.
    Yes, it is a bit dry and bland, it is best replaced for beef mince in recipes where the dry blandness will not show up as much, i.e. dishes with sauces like spag bol etc. Burgers are not great, though you can mix it in with beef mince too.

I am always puzzled why you never see chicken mince.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭baybike

Turkey mince is nice as burgers when you add a grated(squeeze out the juice) apple and some cinnamon..adds some moistness and taste to the meat.
    For a treat, roll the mince into a ball around some strong hard cheese, and it'll be melted and gooey when you bite into it...mmm hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Mix cooked sweetcorn with breadcrumbs, parsley, garlic, a little dried chilli flake, salt & pepper with turkey mince and an egg. Roll into little balls then pan fry in oil until golden on the outside. Bung in the oven for 10 minutes to finish.

The sweetcorn is best cooked on the grill (on the cob) until a little scorched, then cut off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 magalot

this is a recipe from the sunday times, i substitute turkey mince for chicken mince which is really hard to find and it is yum!
    2 baby gem or 1 iceberg lettuce
    500g minced chicken
    100ml stock
    2 tbsp Thai fish sauce
    1 tsp sugar
    5cm piece of ginger, cut into matchsticks
    1 mild red chilli, cut into matchsticks
    Handful of mint leaves
    Handful of basil leaves
    2 tbsp lime juice
    2 tbsp roasted peanuts
    1 lime, for serving
    Separate the lettuce leaves, then wash and chill. Combine the meat, stock, fish sauce, sugar, ginger and chilli in a wok or frying pan and cook over a medium heat, stirring for 10 minutes until the meat is cooked and the liquid has reduced to a couple of spoonfuls. Add the mint, basil and lime juice, then stir. Scatter with peanuts and serve with rice, lime wedges and the lettuce leaves, which you can fill, wrap and eat with your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

watna wrote: »
    Apparently turkey mince is very nice in enchiladas with sour cream etc.

defo is! i always use turkey mince for those, i hate beef!

Advertisement