Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

We Could Be Heroes......

• 06-09-2009 7:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭

Not a Bowie related appreciation thread, but I'd be interested to know about who the modern man looks up to, role models if you will.

It can be anyone. Your dad, your grandad, or Fernando Torres. Basically anyone who inspires you from time to time. Maybe a little bit about why would be good too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭trout

I drove to Ennis last week to see Muhammad Ali.

A fascinating, flawed, arrogant, humble and ultimately marvellous man, who just happened to be the greatest boxer of all time.

What makes him a hero to me is his humility and grace in accepting his fate; how have the mighty fallen. The motormouth who was the Louisville Lip, the sharpest wit in boxing, if not the world, is now mostly silent. The prettiest man in the world now a frozen, clumsy mask ... and yet he still draws a crowd.

It all started on the Late Late show ... I was hooked, and have remained so ever since.

I love the quote from George Foreman, when he was interviewed (also on The Late Late show) some years ago. He was asked if he minded people constantly referring to Ali in the context of The Rumble in the Jungle. Foreman said he was well used to it ... even after all these years, after all his own success and achievements ... "Ali is the only show in town".

I don't even like boxing all that much ... doesn't matter though. Ali is The Greatest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I've quite a few. Helmut Newton is high up there (Although he was far more interesting than made out there)

Susan Sontag would be up there too.

Both very intelligent creative minds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Aung San Suu Kyi. Deserves to have more people find out about her and what she represents today.

My friends Jonny and Siobhan, who stood up infront of 5000 people and gave public testamonials at the LGBT Noise march last month, just before their own marrage. I'd run bollock naked through the streets for them if they asked.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭injured365

Michael Jordan
    His approach and his commitment to better himself in everyway , on and off the court, has always fascinated me. The way he speaks about driving himself to be the best when others around him doubted him or even just watching how he played in his last game to win the championship is an inspiration. On top of that I'm not even much of a basketball fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I've got a few...

Sports
    Josh Angolo- He won a windsurfing event, In Ireland i surfed with him a few time's. real reason was because he had a reputation of being the party hard guy who has talent but never use's it and insted drank and drugs he changed and nuckled down and is now one of the best windsurfers in the world... and last time i saw him I was sitting in a bar on my own and leaves his mates to come talk to me I thought that was cool then invited me over with them..

Music
    James Lavelle- Hes a dj and In a band called Unkle, His music, or dj sets have always had something and never really had to say ohh I wouldn't do that he does his own thing and doesn't follow every one else's rule's for music and djing.
    he keeps it fresh not many groups can do that "kings Of leon " perfect example. and his dj sets well there just different.

My dad, A teacher was complaining about me in secondary school the way the rest of the kids could do the things I could'nt His answer was.
    " My job is relativity easy at times i do this and that, but some times I get jobs that challenge's me, that are hard to organize hard to pull of... Just like your's the rest of the teen's/kids can do it, you get payed to work with kids who understand things, my son doesn't wouldn't that be your challange?"
    i think that explains why best :)

I also look up to Jamie Oliver, Rick Stein, James Martin, because I think there some of the best chefs out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭maherro

My Dad. I pretty much worshiped him as a kid and I still really look up to him. He's just a hero. I pretty much style myself after him to the extent when in difficult situations I ask myself what would he do.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Awe, I think most people look up to their Dad's. I know I did. He was probably the most awesomely amazing man I have ever had the privilege of knowing. Apparently I take after him :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,175 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Arnold Schwarzenegger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

No-one really. The kind of life I want to live isn't the kind that attracts recognition or notability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Bob Geldof is quite a guy , rock star, fundraiser, businessman and fathers rights activist.

A bit of a flawed hero but nonetheless an everyman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

I have to say that the nevr say no attitude of people like Ali really does appeal. The idea that no matter what you want, if you go for it, work hard and believe in yourself you can get there is something pretty cool. Of course, Ali was also a man of excess and of paradoxes, but still, he has to rank high up there.

Someone else mentioned Michael Jordan. Now that guys deserves respect. He blew the sterotypical images of a black man in the 80's and 90's out of the water. While others such as Martin Luther King, no doubt allowed the furtherment of black people everywhere, I personally think Jordan would have acheived no matter what.

Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Arnie he is a real guy who got famous as a beefcake. Tremendously loyal to his friends and a life outside movies. He has ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

and he'll need all that ability to get out of the current Californimess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Ali, the biggest sporting legend ever and an inspiration out of the ring also.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

Animated world--Peter Griffin!!HEROIC

In real life--i would say my dad definitely and jimmy hendrix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Tracy Chapman.
    She's got serious meaning in her music, that meaning appeals to me greatly.
    Probably the person I'd most want to meet in the world.

dyl10 wrote: »
    Tracy Chapman.
    She's got serious meaning in her music, that meaning appeals to me greatly.
    Probably the person I'd most want to meet in the world.

You might admire her but what has she done that makes her a hero?

Ali disagreed with Vietnam and put it on the line fighting the draft and being stripped of his world title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

CDfm wrote: »
    Ali disagreed with Vietnam and put it on the line fighting the draft and being stripped of his world title.

And supported blacks and whites being kept separate. But hey, who cares about that. No-one's perfect, usually people at the top like him are the furthest from being so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

CDfm wrote: »
    You might admire her but what has she done that makes her a hero?

I don't think one has to do anything physically, politically, etc outstanding to be a hero tbf - A hero can be anyone you admire for what they do, it's a personal thing.... imho anyways :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

trout wrote: »
    I drove to Ennis last week to see Muhammad Ali.

A fascinating, flawed, arrogant, humble and ultimately marvellous man, who just happened to be the greatest boxer of all time.

What makes him a hero to me is his humility and grace in accepting his fate; how have the mighty fallen. The motormouth who was the Louisville Lip, the sharpest wit in boxing, if not the world, is now mostly silent. The prettiest man in the world now a frozen, clumsy mask ... and yet he still draws a crowd.

It all started on the Late Late show ... I was hooked, and have remained so ever since.

I love the quote from George Foreman, when he was interviewed (also on The Late Late show) some years ago. He was asked if he minded people constantly referring to Ali in the context of The Rumble in the Jungle. Foreman said he was well used to it ... even after all these years, after all his own success and achievements ... "Ali is the only show in town".

I don't even like boxing all that much ... doesn't matter though. Ali is The Greatest.
    +1
    Ali is number 1 for me too. Even though he's suffering from Parkinsons he still hasn't lost it.
    When asked not too long ago if he had any bad feelings towards George Foreman, he replied,"No I like George.......I even bought his grill!!"
    Brilliant!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 peadar91

Rob Reiner! He is the most famous anti-smoking celebrity in the whole entire world! He really cares about the well being of others. A true hero!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

peadar91 wrote: »
    Rob Reiner! He is the most famous anti-smoking celebrity in the whole entire world! He really cares about the well being of others. A true hero!:D

I didnt know that until South Park ripped the absolute piss outta him for been a fat git.

Roy Keane is probably my sporting hero.Controversial choice maybe but in my mind he typifies single minded determination to be the best you can possibly be.His whole career,he strived to be a better player and wanted the best for his team.People can argue that sometimes his onfield actions (Alfe Halland eg) had a detrimental effect on the team but his reasons for doing it usually had a deeper meaning than just being a dirty player.IMO he was the last true midfield hardman left in world soccer before they turned into a bunch of simpering prima-donnas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Neil Young, if i can be 1/4 as cool as him for the rest of my life i'll have done well. He has always played by his own rules, always made amazing music, bar some early 80's wobbles, which were only done to prove a point. He is my hero.

Advertisement