Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tft viewing angles???

Options
  • 06-09-2009 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

A bit of a head scratcher on a lazy sunday afternoon with little to do. Why so many reviewers rate viewing angles on pc monitors so highly? For 99.9% of us, we'd center the screen (screens) relative to the seating position, and that's it. (For the sake of the argument we'll leave the Tv-s out, since they are used differently and greater viewing angles can actually be beneficial.)

Possible exceptions:

- You've somehow persuaded your significant other to sit beside you admiring your fragging skills, so she/he can enjoy the spectacle in full HD glory as well.

- Your back side gets soar from hours on YT, so you decide to lie down on the floor for a while and continue surfing.

- You're Batman ( or a batman wannabe) surfing while hanging from the ceiling.

- You take your gaming xxxtra seriously, swaying around in your chair while dodging oncoming railgun death beams or attacking another appex in your super/turbo/megga/ultra charged racing sim vehicle.

- You're (this one's leggit) in a recording studio, and have to wheel around frequently to the mixer panels while keeping an eye on the screen.

What else am I missing?

btw, can we leave the whole thing of TN vs. PVA vs. IPS out of this one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Its nice if youre watching something on it.

in college we has no way to hook it up to the tv but we sat everyone down for a few movies on my laptop. at the extreme seating angles it was hard to make out the picture. had it been on the tv we had, you wouldnt have had that problem. its the nature of lcd/tft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Also if the viewing angle ain't great it makes watching something lying on your bed a bit of a pain also.....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

ah sure wait for another 2 years OP. OLEDs will be the big thing then :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

make that 3 or 4 years. lcds have just become standard issue in the last 2 years. theyve been on the market (as monitors) 5+ years now if not longer. And they were damned expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

A bit of a head scratcher on a lazy sunday afternoon with little to do. Why so many reviewers rate viewing angles on pc monitors so highly? For 99.9% of us, we'd center the screen (screens) relative to the seating position, and that's it. (For the sake of the argument we'll leave the Tv-s out, since they are used differently and greater viewing angles can actually be beneficial.)

Possible exceptions:

- You've somehow persuaded your significant other to sit beside you admiring your fragging skills, so she/he can enjoy the spectacle in full HD glory as well.

- Your back side gets soar from hours on YT, so you decide to lie down on the floor for a while and continue surfing.

- You're Batman ( or a batman wannabe) surfing while hanging from the ceiling.

- You take your gaming xxxtra seriously, swaying around in your chair while dodging oncoming railgun death beams or attacking another appex in your super/turbo/megga/ultra charged racing sim vehicle.

- You're (this one's leggit) in a recording studio, and have to wheel around frequently to the mixer panels while keeping an eye on the screen.

What else am I missing?

btw, can we leave the whole thing of TN vs. PVA vs. IPS out of this one?

You make pretty good points!
    It's a bit like if i'm spending my money on something i might aswell get something which is the best value for money.

With so many options and all of them pretty generic(all they do is display) with contrast ratios, resolutions, adjustable stands(some people won't get a stand that isn't height adjustable) it's just another way for people to analyse a piece of hardware.

Some people when you go to their house will be like "stand over there and check out the viewing angles on my new screen... No not there, THERE!..... no no no, further!!! further!!!" then you have to say, "WOW they are some pretty sweet viewing angles"... :roll:

you know what i mean?

• Advertisement
Advertisement