Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glendalough

• 06-09-2009 7:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭

I had the weekend off and went off to Glendalough to take a few (not likely :) ) shots of the sights down there. I shot a couple of small videos too to give some insight into the shots and let people see the set-up I used. Great weather for the day and Glendalough looking so nice. C&C is welcome on all the shots.

A lot of them were shot HDR and I brought the 1dmk3 specifically for this purpose as it can be set to shoot 7 shots using the bracketing setup. Any of the single shots were 1 stop over and brought back in PS and then used Guy Gowans actions to process.

Full set over on Pix.ie http://pix.ie/keithjack/album/353744/goto/1204740

1 - 1dmk3 with 70-200 f2.8
    B0276EAD1681445D89324CBD8DCC43C8-800.jpg

2 -

3 - 1dmk3 with 24-70L
    674BD68B75D84A1C919D7E75F81A6189-800.jpg

4 -

5 - 1dmk3 with 17-40L
    B6D774B7696E414FA534B969579D2D92-800.jpg

6 -

7 - 1dmk3 with 17-40L (Probably go with B&W for this)
    3576E322F388444EAFFCF049D06A2A73-800.jpg

8 - 1dmk3 with 15mm fisheye
    9907C3096DE14C4BB7989370C78FE0C4-800.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Number 3 doesnt do a lot for me but all of the rest are amazing. Especially the last few, well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Thanks Rachel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

I have to say I'm very taken with #5, but the other HDR's look over done to my eye. I'd prefer to see some detail in the waterfall shots, but as always these things are a matter of personal taste.

Thanks Nilhg, I seem to process this way when I use HDR and it lends itself to B&W better. Taking number 5 nearly got my head blown off :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Seán_B

The miltary road shot really illustrates the power of HDR when you see the video of the same view. Excellent shot and nice sutle processing IMO.:)

• Advertisement

Seán_B wrote: »
    The miltary road shot really illustrates the power of HDR when you see the video of the same view. Excellent shot and nice sutle processing IMO.:)

Thanks Sean, part of the appeal of HDR for me is to capture what I actually saw on the day. The individual pictures really dont do the location justice even on the video the camera is making decisions between the foreground detail and background brightness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Excellent set Keith.

The water in the first exposure is just a little to fluffy for my liking. :) Love the streaks in the water surface in the third one. Pity about the twigs and branches in the bottom left of it though. My favourite is the cut logs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

Not made about the 1st being honest, i love to see detail in water tho thats prob why, LOVE the last one tho good work :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Good work Keith,
    The first shot doesn't do much for me. It seems like you tried to pull too much out of a photo that wasn't there. Sort of over processing of a flat image, if you get me? I know that’s not the case, just the feeling I get from the image

The 2nd (#3) shot is lovely, colours in the green on the far bank are divine and the colours in the water exquisite. I feel the white just kills the shot though, it's like somebody’s hijacked your shot, just learnt how to use the dodge tool in Photoshop and went berserk. If you could bring back some of the detail from some of your lower exposed shots it would be a winner!

#7 is well processed but doesn't do too much for me; my eyes don’t know where to go.

Photo 5 & 8 are just bang on the money, great shots man!

Sorry to sound negative, just trying to give a bit of honest feedback the way I'd like to receive it, if I put shots up :-)

Kyle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

5 and 8 are the keepers as far as I'm concerned, both really great shots. Was 5 both a HDR and stitched panormama? If so, how exactly did you go about that? I'd be ver curious to know.

Must make a roadtrip down that way myself soon before the days get too short

• Advertisement

alb wrote: »
    5 and 8 are the keepers as far as I'm concerned, both really great shots. Was 5 both a HDR and stitched panormama? If so, how exactly did you go about that? I'd be ver curious to know.

Must make a roadtrip down that way myself soon before the days get too short

the are three shot panoramas consisting of seven shots each so first put the seven shots into Photomatix and generate a HDR do the same two more time and then load the shots into PTGui as normal and let that do its stuff

Thanks for the comments above, I dont do a lot of landscapes as such and its nice to hear feedback. I shot quite a bit and I will process some more of the single shots and see how the compare to the HDR shots.

Keith

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Thanks for the info, I was thinking if you did the HDR processing first, you'd have to ensure it was consistent across each photo so that there wasn't visible divides in the stitching, but it looks like you managed it one way or another :)

If you shoot all shots at the same time and then use the same setting in Photomatix there should be no change in each shot

Advertisement