Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aion Roll-Call

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 redfield004

any aion players in UCD? ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Playboy wrote: »
    What race are people playing on Castor?

Elyos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Chada

Hey, Im a level 6 mage called Kaniele on Castor / Elyos - if you get a chance fire me a tell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Ok I'm on Castor .. would love to join up with you guys!

Chars name is Jibrail ... Warrior

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

What is the name of the legion on Castor?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Chada

A good question - I just joined a random one at the moment, although i'll shift to the boards one as soon as I figure out how to contact the legion leader :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Lapsed Pascifists iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

This bunch then.

I should (hopefully) be joining you lot later today too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Yep, that's us(I'm Euseka). There's a good few people who can invite so just message someone online and I'm sure there'll be someone round

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

Castor / Elyos - Sleater - priest planning on being a chanter.
    If any of the Lapsed Pacificists are online this evening can I drop one of you a pm for an invite?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I rolled on Castor yesterday as well. Orfantal, and im a Sorceror.

And now there's a ****ing queue. Seriously, **** this. Yes its only 35 minutes, but thats 35 minutes too god damn long. Whats the point of rolling on a different server when we just get queues there too.

I think i may unsub for the time being. Queues are the reason i stopped playing for the last week or so, and its bloody annoying. Its a joke that they still havent sorted them out. And before anyone says roll on Kahrun (Jumpy :P), as soon as i roll there and get a character i enjoy playing, there'll be queues there too.

Gah! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Castor has always had a queue its the reason I went Kahrun. Kahrun wont ever have queues, because Kalil has opened now too and you have the choice of either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Whisper Nunca, Ferociter, Euseka or Diabha. I should be online from 8pm onwards on Nunca, but one of the others is almost always on ;)

That is, if you havent already gotten in yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Still having ques on the Spartos(spelling?) server.

I am currently Av levelling an alt in wow, so i dont mind the Q too much, I just do wow **** whilst queing, pop onto aion and play that whilst AV levelling wow.

Aion is keeping me and the wow lads interested, for how long remains to be seen, engame will make or break it, so far though, its a nice game, runs smooth enough.

Its annoying having to go all over the place for quests, but i think its because its a new mmo and im a bit lost a times, other then that this is a nice game.

Cant tell if it will take me away from wow, like i said, endgame is the breaker. But it has some cool features.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭jaymes420

hey, if anybody on castor is looking for a Legion, im recruiting, you can find all the info on my Legion website!,level 20+

http://www.guildportal.com/Guild.aspx?GuildID=331857&TabID=2777896&PageName=Home .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I'm on Kahrun as an Asmodian or whatever theyre called. A chanter :)

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I'm on Kahrun as an Asmodian or whatever theyre called. A chanter :)

Ill keep an eye out for you when I am ganking in the Abyss. :D

So how are people finding the game now? I have to admit that i havent even logged in for over a week. I think i may be just tired or Fantasy MMO's atm, and am definitely not up for the grind that comes with Aion.

Aion is definitely grinding alright. You get 20k for a quest hand in but 14k from each mob. Is there anyone else who doesnt bother handing them in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Jumpy wrote: »
    Aion is definitely grinding alright. You get 20k for a quest hand in but 14k from each mob. Is there anyone else who doesnt bother handing them in?
    My cleric is mid way through level 23, I haven't actually handed in any quest since level 19. All I've done is create a one button macro that targets a mob and uses skills to kill it. Most of the time I end up playing split screen while browsing boards etc. Not a great sign for Aion's longevity.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ive unsubscribed.
    The mindless grinding is simply terrible.
    I grinded from 20-25 on my cleric and it was mind numbing but i kept going after someone telling me its not as bad after 25 i got to lvl 28 and couldnt take anymore.
    I found the abyss incredibly over rated and the actual pvp no different to warhammer.
    Yet another failed MMO for me.
    Nothing beats wow and lotro imo.

I'm still playing and enjoying it, but i suppose i prefer grinding to running around for hours doing silly quests.

The PvP comparison to WAR is pretty absurd to be honest, there's much much much less AOE in general which makes for more coordinated PvP. Also the flying which changes PvP alot. Not to mention alot of mechanics in WAR barely worked and when it came to PvP screwed up in the strangest ways.

They'll make Aion more casual friendly soon enough I'd say. Till then i'd say don't hate it because of the grind, it's a fantastically made game and still has more potential than pretty much anything out there i think.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

level 1-20 was great.

grinded out level 21, no biggie.

level 22-25 for me was fine too.

25-30 (where i've now stopped) is a total grindfest. Not to mention the huge stuttering issue you get when raiding a fortress. seriously thinking about unsubbing. its such a pity too. it was a great start, and it just seems to me that the game was half polished once you reached the abyss.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I am thinking of quitting, to be a success in the West Aion has to carry casuals and hardcore alike, and atm all the casuals are quitting and a good percentage of the hardcore players considering it too.

I don't mind it taking forever to get to lvl 50 if the game has stimulating content along the way to fill my time.

Aion consists of 3 quest varieties:

Kill 10 of x
    Kill x and gather 20 of drop y
    Gather 20 of x

The quest XP is awful in the main, with completing a quest delivering not much more XP than killing 2-3 mobs in some cases. There are large parts of levels where there are feck all ****e XP quests at all and all there is to do is find a good area and grind the same mobs for hours.

I have cleared the 1st 3 instances so far:

NTC 25-28
    ST 28-33
    FT 30-38

None of them was any stimulation, with tank and spank bosses that were ridiculously easy, and boring trash. I ran NTC 5 times and only saw 2 boss drops, ST twice with no drops and FT 3 times with nothing but a ****e Green. Boring easy instances which drop no loot, and bar NTC give ****e XP, a recipe for success NCSoft!

The Abyss was fun for about 5 minutes, but the memory leak ensures my high end system crashes in all Fortress raids, and when its not crashing the Fortress PvP is just massive Zerg, and the PvP that sees you ganked by roving groups of 6+ Elyos while trying to do the Abyss PvE quests for some XP, well, thats just annoying.

Add in an XP system which sees you lose XP when you die, some of which is recoverable for a price, some gone forever, and PUGing an instance becomes an expensive mistake often enough, you can find yourself 100's k out of pocket, with a load of XP lost before you realise your PUG is as n00b as you now know!

The concept is great, the atmosphere and graphics stunning at times, but you can't rebadge a Korean grind MMO and expect it to do well in the West, I want a game thats fun to play, and too much of Aion feels like a job/chore.

I might go back to it in a few days, I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

I think I was the first boardsie to drop. Play for two weeks while I had a few days off but the queues were the killer followed by....

grind.jpg

Funky wrote: »
    I'm still playing and enjoying it, but i suppose i prefer grinding to running around for hours doing silly quests.

The PvP comparison to WAR is pretty absurd to be honest, there's much much much less AOE in general which makes for more coordinated PvP. Also the flying which changes PvP alot. Not to mention alot of mechanics in WAR barely worked and when it came to PvP screwed up in the strangest ways.

They'll make Aion more casual friendly soon enough I'd say. Till then i'd say don't hate it because of the grind, it's a fantastically made game and still has more potential than pretty much anything out there i think.

Absurd? a bit over the top there man.
    To me the actual combat in pvp felt no different, yeah sure you have chain skills but that makes little difference imo.
    I guess its personal opinion, you like aion pvp and grind i dont , simple as really.

Inquitus summed it up perfectly.

Didn't mean to come across as aggressive if I did. I've no problem with you not liking Aion at all, just I don't think saying Aion PvP is like WAR is an accurate representation in fairness.

No worries and point taken :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Dcully wrote: »
    No worries and point taken :)

Agree with Funky. Aion PvP is only similar to Warhammer PvP in that it's mmorpg style PvP and the similarities really end there.

As to the grind, I think past 30s it probably does feel grindy to generation WoW. Which gave us this concept that everyone should be max level in 2 months. However, they are beta testing a patch in Korea right now that massively increases quest rewards from 37-50. One quest that gave 2 mill exp now gives 4 mill. So if the grind is bothering you, it might be a good idea to unsub now and re-sub once the casual+ patch is in.

Me, I've hit 37 after playing pretty intensively the past couple of months and now I'm taking it a bit easier.

Also I think judging the game's PvP right now is extremely short-sighted. Aion is all about end game PvP and you're only catching glimpses of it right now. Many people are still questing/grinding. As people level more and more and more start to participate in the PvP it will really start to take shape a lot better.

If fortress sieges are jsut zergs right now, that's not the games' fault. In any open warfare mmo, people tend to zerg, it's always been like htat, but as more ppl get high level and pvp, the zergs will be countered at fortresses and cease to be effective. Then guilds will have to start getting organised and coordinating their attacks better and fortress sieges should be a lot more fun. Right now it's just zerg while the opponents are offline it seems.

I think the game has issues but I also think it's the best thing out there right now...

WoW is very polished, but I despise PvE and instance styled PvP arena matches just don't have the dynamism or spark of open world conflict. I LIKE questing/grinding in the abyss and having to look over my shoulder constantly for gank squads. Adds a bit of excitement and danger that was never there in WoW. Also the ability to take and control terrirtory is something WoW has never had and no really mass market MMO out right now delivers on.

LOTRO = PvE fest, and comparing it to Aion is like comparing an Action movie to a drama. They are different beasts.

Advertisement