If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV & Sound help

• 06-09-2009 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,

I'm having work done in our living room (dry lining and such) and decided to take this opportunity to wire the place up for surround sound and get in a decent cinema system.
    My first step is to get a flat screen that can be wall mounted. I've looked around and whats caught the old eye is a - Samsung 46" Series 7 LED TV.
    The next step is getting a surround sound system. Now I'm not the most technical minded of people, so I really don't have a clue about this. I was shown one of the Bose Lifestyle range and I was well impressed by the sound, but it also had a more than impressive price tag with it.
    So my questions are-
    1 - Do you recommend this Tv, and do you supply it?
    2 - Any recommendations on a sound system?

If you need any further info, please contact me.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

TheHood wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm having work done in our living room (dry lining and such) and decided to take this opportunity to wire the place up for surround sound and get in a decent cinema system.
    My first step is to get a flat screen that can be wall mounted. I've looked around and whats caught the old eye is a - Samsung 46" Series 7 LED TV.
    The next step is getting a surround sound system. Now I'm not the most technical minded of people, so I really don't have a clue about this. I was shown one of the Bose Lifestyle range and I was well impressed by the sound, but it also had a more than impressive price tag with it.
    So my questions are-
    1 - Do you recommend this Tv, and do you supply it?
    2 - Any recommendations on a sound system?

If you need any further info, please contact me.

Thehood,

Thanks for the post & apologies for taking so long to get back to you.

OK what a great opportunity - a complete rewire - you lucky thing!

Ok onto the AV - Bose is one of the ranges that we don't stock so I cannot comment much on it - however I am sure that pretty much no one would argue with me if I said that you can get far greater quality sound for much less outlay if you went for a good quality spearates AV system than a Bose system.

On the Sammy 46 7000 series - no criticisms at all on the picture quality front - however the Audio quality is a bit poor - we are currently out of stock of this model however I do hope to have stock in within the next week or so - HOWEVER, and this is a big however - for once we are lucky to live in Ireland as the Philips 9664 series is actually way cheaper in Ireland than the UK and you can actually get the 47PFL9664 here for about the same price as the Samsung 46" 7020 - in the UK the 47PFL9664H retails at about £2000 (the 42" is actually £1500 :eek:) however in Ireland we can do the 47PFL9664H at just EURO €1999 less your 10% Philips Shop Boardies discount which leaves it at just £1499 sterling - the same price as the UE46B7020 - I'm not sure if you have seen the What Hi-fi supertest with the 9664 against the Sonys/Samsung/Panasonic/LG/Toshiba but the 42" 9664 slaughtered all the competition! (if you need a copy just drop me a PM and I'll get a free copy of the latest What Hi-Fi sent out to you in the post) as before the 7020 is a great TV but the 9664 is just in a different league and the addition of open NETTV (enables you to browse any site on the web wirelessly!) and Ambilight over the Sammy again sets it apart!

If you need some pointers on the Audio side ie DVD/Receiver/Speakers just drop me a post and give me some price guidelines and we will come back with a few ideas.

Thanks again and keep me posted,

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 TheHood

johnmc wrote: »
    Thehood,

Thanks for the post & apologies for taking so long to get back to you.

OK what a great opportunity - a complete rewire - you lucky thing!

Ok onto the AV - Bose is one of the ranges that we don't stock so I cannot comment much on it - however I am sure that pretty much no one would argue with me if I said that you can get far greater quality sound for much less outlay if you went for a good quality spearates AV system than a Bose system.

On the Sammy 46 7000 series - no criticisms at all on the picture quality front - however the Audio quality is a bit poor - we are currently out of stock of this model however I do hope to have stock in within the next week or so - HOWEVER, and this is a big however - for once we are lucky to live in Ireland as the Philips 9664 series is actually way cheaper in Ireland than the UK and you can actually get the 47PFL9664 here for about the same price as the Samsung 46" 7020 - in the UK the 47PFL9664H retails at about £2000 (the 42" is actually £1500 :eek:) however in Ireland we can do the 47PFL9664H at just EURO €1999 less your 10% Philips Shop Boardies discount which leaves it at just £1499 sterling - the same price as the UE46B7020 - I'm not sure if you have seen the What Hi-fi supertest with the 9664 against the Sonys/Samsung/Panasonic/LG/Toshiba but the 42" 9664 slaughtered all the competition! (if you need a copy just drop me a PM and I'll get a free copy of the latest What Hi-Fi sent out to you in the post) as before the 7020 is a great TV but the 9664 is just in a different league and the addition of open NETTV (enables you to browse any site on the web wirelessly!) and Ambilight over the Sammy again sets it apart!

If you need some pointers on the Audio side ie DVD/Receiver/Speakers just drop me a post and give me some price guidelines and we will come back with a few ideas.

Thanks again and keep me posted,

ATB,

John Mc

Thanks for coming back to me John. You have sparked my interest in the phillips. I'd be very interested in getting a copy of the supertest, and also any help with the Audio system, so I'll send you a Pm with my details shortly.

Hey John,

looks like your up to your ears, and I don't want to seem impatient, but I haven't received a reply from this thread or my PM and I will need to make a decision very soon. So I just wonder if you could take a look at my pm and give me a shout back with your thoughts.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hey The Hood.

Yeah he is a very busy man.

Below is a little copy of the the Super Test for you to have a read over:
    Philips42PFL96642.jpg

Thanks for that Kenny.

Would you have any advice on the Audio side. My electrician has now wired the room up, but I need to decide on a system ASAP.
    I've Sky Digital (not HD) with movies & sport. A standard DVD, but will be upgrading to blue ray soon (I hope). I'm a bit of a movie, sports and games buff so I really want a system that will improve the whole experience.
    Budget, well I was hoping to keep it under €1000, but willing to stretch a bit for the right system.

I would really value and advice or recommendations that anyone has.

Thanks,

Hoody

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

just picked up the 42PFL8404 for e900 from the guys on friday and very impressed. Not sure if they do a bigger screen but there is a thread on here with details on the whole range

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi Guys

A little break down on the screen sizes available in the various TV ranges.

5 Series
    32", 37" 42" 47" and 52"

7 Series
    32" 42" and 52"

8 Series
    32" 37" 42" 47" (40" edge lit due in the next couple of weeks)

9 Series
    32" 37" 42" 47" (40 and 46 BACK lit LED TV's due end of month/early Sept)

atb
    Ash

• Company Representative Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hey Hoody.

Just Pm'd ya a few prices on Home cinema.

Kenny.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.