Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to survive eating megahot curries?

Options
  • 06-09-2009 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Rex Manning

Going out for a meal soon with some friends to place with that does super hot curries - any ideas on anything i can do to avoid getting my mouth burned off me (also slight concerned about the ring sting element of it all as well)?

Anything I can eat before hand to take the edge of it? I suppose orange juice or something to drink while eating is a better idea than beer or water?

Thanks in advance,

Rex

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

i usually like a cold glass of milk with my curry i find it helps a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Milk is the best thing to drink while eating curries.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Inform the waiter you don't like it too spicey.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭daniel91

Make sure you order rice along with the curry. Use the rice to cool down your mouth after a mouth full of curry. ummm.....love curry,gonna order one now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

When I'm at home I throw a load of natural yoghurt and banana on top if it's too hot, don't know if you could ask for that in a restaurant though!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Warm drinks help, probably not that practical in a restaurant though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I have been in an Indian before that has offered to bring out natural yogurt if we found the dish too spicy - so you could try asking for some. Otherwise, drink milk, and lots of it, with your meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Rex Manning

Thanks for advice guys, not sure how it'll pan out! This is the place my friends want to go to:

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/topstories/Beware-killer-at-the-Kismot.5536425.jp

:eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

From that article:

Mr Ali said the family decided to take advice from a solicitor before placing the dish on the menu, and were advised to produce a disclaimer which customers must sign before tasting the curry.

Part of the disclaimer states: "Kismot restaurant will take no responsibility for your bodily functions after you eat the curry. If you die whilst eating or as a direct result of eating the curry, members of the table will share the cost of your Kismot Killer.

"If you become ill due to the Kismot Killer or if you find that you are experiencing any problems with your liver, then under no circumstances are you entitled to blame Kismot restaurant or any of its staff.

"For your own wellbeing we highly recommend that you immediately put your toilet roll in the freezer when you get home".

OP, maybe you could wash it down with some Bulmers Pear? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Rex Manning

From that article:

OP, maybe you could wash it down with some Bulmers Pear? :D

I think their toilets would be in a bad enough state without that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,444 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Seriosuly, why bother, you won't enjoy it, no amount of milk will hlep, thats made with the naga jolokia pepper, or ghost pepper, its the hottest chilli pepper known to man. It's way way hotter than what you would have seen before. It's not like a steak challenge, its going to be torture.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭betterman

i worked in an indian restraunt. the headchief always insisted giving natural yougart with the hot curries. and i found that out to be the case. if you look at your mkild currys you will find that they are laced with cream and yougart.
    also just drink milk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

I adore spicy food and I had my first Indian in Cork nearly 2 months ago. Obviously I ordered my very first King Prawn Vindaloo... my God was it hot. Problem with such hot food is that when they give you a whole load of water with it is that you need to drink the water to cool your mouth down and this fills you up quickly.

Still delicious though... yum yum.

But yup; drink milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I find beer helps, but of course you end up drinking 3 pints in half an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

"Anyone brave enough to finish the curry on their own will receive the dish for free and will be awarded a certificate of completion, as well as having their photograph placed in the restaurant's hall of fame"

this could be you
    "Kismot restaurant will take no responsibility for your bodily functions after you eat the curry. If you die whilst eating or as a direct result of eating the curry, members of the table will share the cost of your Kismot Killer.

"If you become ill due to the Kismot Killer or if you find that you are experiencing any problems with your liver,
    hmm or your friends could be paying for your meal/....
    and why do they specify the liver?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Eat ice cream afterwards and when you are on the bog the next day and having a ring stinger,Keep shouting COME ON ICE CREAM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Hot going in. Hot coming out.

BTW lash a pack of baby wipes into the fridge before you head out.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

before you head out, Put the Bog roll in the freezer, just in case ;)

Advertisement