Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom .... any solution?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

But what about the actual download speeds currently?? I assume your modem has not suffered an actual disconnect?

No disconnect that I did not initiate.
    Speeds have been steady since 2.30am yesterday morning from what I can tell.
    Btw I find that the netopias sometimes select the downstream/upstream tones less than perfectly, resulting in lower than normal SNR values even if attenuation is a dB lower. If I ever see a high rate of CRC errors, I turned off the modem and turned it back on, just to see what would happen. Usually the CRC errors went away by and large, and sometimes the average signal margin would be 2 or 3 dB higher. SNR fluctuates constantly unlike attenuation, as you'll see if you refresh the stats page on the netopia a few times.

So nothing usually changes, except what tones the modem/DSLAM use to transmit and receive and the bit loadings of each used tone.

When checking the CRC errors the other day the number was increasing by about 100 per minute. That was even after a hard power down.
    The CRC errors are negligible now. The 'average' S/N figure, as seen as the page is refreshed, has risen since the other day also.
    All I can do is report what I see. I do not have the info to interpret what those changes might mean.
    So what I can say is that the CRC errors have almost disappeared, the S/N figures have improved, and my d/load speed has settled in or about 2.5Mb/s.
    Why all this has happened? I do not know and can only speculate.

Regards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

If download speeds are mainly crap during the afternoon/evening, I'd get on to eircom about it and tell them to do something about the contention. If they suggest to upgrade your bb package, disregard that as it will make no difference. Eircom have to sort out the exchange first.

Contention is a pain in the ass as the user can do nothing about it except change provider, and nor can a technician visit do anything about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

If download speeds are mainly crap during the afternoon/evening, I'd get on to eircom about it and tell them to do something about the contention. If they suggest to upgrade your bb package, disregard that as it will make no difference. Eircom have to sort out the exchange first.

Contention is a pain in the ass as the user can do nothing about it except change provider, and nor can a technician visit do anything about it.

Sorry ... maybe I did not make it clear .........

all my problems with download speed have gone

unless I should consider that 2.5Mb/s is not good enough on a 3Mb/s connection ... it is a little low but I can accept it ...

So I will wait and see if Eircom improves things further or if things take a dive for the worse again in the future ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

For some reason, I thought 2:30 am was 2:30am today! I get you now, everything's a-ok for nearly 2 days. Sorry for not grasping your post sooner.

About 2.6 mbps will be the absolute peak you'll get on "3 mbps" connections thanks to connection overheads.

Sometimes if the problem goes away by itself, it can just as easily come back. But we'll worry about that if it happens!

Advertisement