Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Info on best Masters in Education?

• 06-09-2009 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi all.

I am a primary school teacher in my third year of teaching and would like to do a Masters in Education. As I seem to be too late to enrol on a course this year, I intend to use the time to research the various courses available. Really what I would like to know from people out there who have this qualification is> What college did you study with? Was it difficult to manage with the demands of the job? Is there any particular area of expertise to focus on as a means to furthering my career in the future?

All information appreciated
    Pixie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭J.R.

I did the Masters in St. Pats.......Educational Leadership.

It runs from end Sept to end May for two years. Classes were from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Tuesday & Thursday.

It was 'dooable'......most annoying part I found was trying to get through city traffic to get there.

A bit of advice.......

The masters in Pats is a series of essays / assignments (6, I think) followed by a thesis (25,000 words).

If you can have decided early on in the course what the topic and slant of your thesis is it can be a great help.

Knowing your thesis topic you can select topics for your essays / assignments that could be incorporated as a chapter into the final thesis......all that research, time & effort on essays has not gone to waste.....plus you would have the 'bones' of nearly half the thesis written!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Pixie4

Hey J.R,

Thanks a million for your reply especially your advice on researching the area that you would like to focus your thesis on. Very much appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭hayser

I'm asking of behalf of my cousin who is a teacher. Would anyone know if a Masters in Education from the Open University would be recognised by the Department of Education so that my cousin could receive the extra allowance in salary for a masters? I know the Open University is recognised by the NFQ but she wasn't sure if the Department will recognise it or not. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement