Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River Griese, Ballitore, Kildare

Options
  • 06-09-2009 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi everyone

I'm just wondering if we've any anglers on here who have fished the River Griese in Ballitore throughout the last season? I've just finished a blog post about the dredging and drainage works that have gone on there, essentially destroying the river and would love some feedback from other anglers on this topic. I've been onto the relevant authorities airing my own concerns but would like to hear other peoples experiences fishing this river over the last few months so i have more feedback.

wgsten

www.irishflyfisher.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭J. Ramone

I caught my first dry fly trout at Levittstown. Was wondering if the dreaded Dace have invaded this pretty river yet. Very very sad indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭surripere

As excellant and enjoyable as your blog is to read, I find it naive folly to post info on the relevant rivers etc. in the current climate. Its with good reason that angling forums blank out angling locations, I humbly suggest you practice sub rosa in such matters. As for my local river, I don't breathe its name.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 eddie12

I fish the Greise most weeks during the season.
    Its was a fantastic little river producing a very good average size and great hatches.
    The last three years have been very bad. The works at Balitore are another setback. I havent caught a dace in the stretches I fish but I've been told that there are a lot of them up as far as Kilkee.
    There are also rumours of it being netted by lads from Athy(not eastern europeans). Farmers cleaning out their slurry spreaders during low water conditions wouldnt help either. Whatever the reason/s the Greise isnt a patch on what it was up to a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭J. Ramone

surripere wrote: »
    As excellant and enjoyable as your blog is to read, I find it naive folly to post info on the relevant rivers etc. in the current climate. Its with good reason that angling forums blank out angling locations, I humbly suggest you practice sub rosa in such matters. As for my local river, I don't breathe its name.

The demise of an uncelebrated secret river will not gain many headlines. Without steady angling interest poachers have a much better chance of having their way unbothered. Fair play wgsten.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭jack01986

I know this post is quite a few years old but has anyone fished this recently? Say in the last year or so has it recovered at all from the dredging at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I'll be next to drag this out of the bin.

How is the river these days? I fish the slaney and the trout are only to 10oz most of the time so I want a new river with some bigger fish, but apparently its much the same with maybe a 1.5lber to be found on your best day in the Griese.

Its close by too so im thinking of joining. Any info? The website is very good and the club seems well organized!

Advertisement