Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cupcakes!

Options
  • 06-09-2009 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭

can anyone recommend somewhere that i can buy cupcakes in dublin city centre.. pref somewhere near the grafton street/st.stephens area?
    don't care how pricey they are so long as they look/taste good, theyre a little gift for a friend :]
    thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭aidom

I've never had them myself but the Dubliner magazine recommended somewhere in George's St arcade as having the best cupcakes in Dub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

I know it's not near St Stephen's Green, but there is a lovely place selling cupcakes of all shades and sizes in the Illac centre beside the Dunnes Stores entrance!
    Just found it for ya. It's called "Cups n'Cream" I saw it last week and they look scrummy :)
    http://cupsncreams.ie/locations/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

marks and sparks sell them

and ive been reliably informed that there is a place in either the westbury mall or powerscourt that seels them too. they're supposed to be amazing!

oh and id say avoca might have them too!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭datk

I've had cupcakes from Avoca and they were gorgeous. Cupcake Kisses will delivery to a city location or are availabe from a few shops listed on their website. I've tried them too and they were very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

The ones in George's St Arcade are delicious and very pretty :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Insomnia coffee chain are doing a promotion at the moment where you can get any coffee and a cup cake for 3.50 - haven't tasted their cupcakes but they look pretty. So, coffee for you and cake for your friend?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

The ones in Powerscourt look delicious! Just up the steps from the Clarendon St entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Assuming the market continues to run every Thursday, there are fantastic cupcakes sold by one of the stalls adjacent to Tripod on Hatch St Upper, just off Harcourt St. They may not be cheap, however.

The market only runs from morning until just after lunch, so get up there between these times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

cuckoo wrote: »
    Insomnia coffee chain are doing a promotion at the moment where you can get any coffee and a cup cake for 3.50 - haven't tasted their cupcakes but they look pretty. So, coffee for you and cake for your friend?

Insomnia coffee is rank. I wouldn't recommend it.

Haven't tried their cupcakes so maybe they're alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

Sorry to go off-topic a bit but are 'cupcakes' not just what we used to call 'buns' but with an American name for them now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If the cakes are a gift for a friend I'd strong recommend you make an effort to get out to Clarkes Bakery on the New Cabra Road, its about 500 mtrs past St.Peters church in Phibsboro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

SWEET CUPPIN CAKES!

Dont get the one's in M&S, they're knack.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Queen of Tarts is best for buns.

Arnotts probably sell cup cakes in their delph section...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭smilingeyerish

ive had the insomnia ones, was lured by how pretty they are, they are gross,very dry, icing not very good either :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

there is a little bakery beside rody bolands in rathmines that sells hand made cup cakes, they can be a little expensive but they cut their prices just before closing every day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 PEPPI

Sorry to go off-topic a bit but are 'cupcakes' not just what we used to call 'buns' but with an American name for them now?
    no, they were called fairycakes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

PEPPI wrote: »
    no, they were called fairycakes

SuperGrover is correct. Buns was a very popular name for them down the country though they didnt have all that sicky cream that these "cupcakes" have.....apart from "Butterfly Buns" which were yummy.
    It was great to eat them fresh out of the oven
    when they were hot.160.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

cupcakes are american style, they have to have almost equal amounts of bun:buttercream/creamcheese icing to qualify as cupcakes (yum!)

i would go to lolly&cooks in georges st arcade, they rock, the cupcakes in queen of tarts not so much (raspberry scones,however!)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I don't think it's equal amounts. I think it is 2/3 cake and 1/3 frosting.

I would recommend Lydia B Cupcakes. We got them into our office and they were Absolutely Divine! Very reasonable as well - much cheaper than any other cupcake websites I've seen. Does parties etc. Delivers within Dublin

Check out facebook http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/pages/Lydia-B-Cupcakes/126921832657?ref=ts

or email LydiaBcupcakes@gmail.com for info

Ps. Don't know if that facebook link above is correct - just search for Lydia B Cupcakes on facebook amd you'll find them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭RuehlTheWorld

Lolly and Cooks, it's a stall just inside the Drury Street entrance to the George's Street Arcade. They're pretty delicious along with everything else they sell there. Seriously, recommend.

Or, try The Runner Bean on Nassau Street. Yesterday they had Oreo Cupcakes. Orgasm in a paper case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 PEPPI

tfak85 wrote: »
    cupcakes are american style, they have to have almost equal amounts of bun:buttercream/creamcheese icing to qualify as cupcakes (yum!)

i would go to lolly&cooks in georges st arcade, they rock, the cupcakes in queen of tarts not so much (raspberry scones,however!)

Do Americans not call them muffins

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I've never heard the term 'cupcakes' until I read this thread.

Is it just a prententious term for what I would call 'buns'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

It's to do with SATC - women are easily brainwashed!

PEPPI wrote: »
    Do Americans not call them muffins

Muffins do not have frosting on them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

bakemycake.ie

I've never heard the term 'cupcakes' until I read this thread.

Is it just a prententious term for what I would call 'buns'?

Are you talking about fairy buns - sponge with a thin layer of icing smeared on them? Or sponge with cream and jam?

Because if you are, imo cupcakes are different.

Imo cupcakes are like this:
    http://www.yumsugar.com/494777
    (ie. 2/3 sponge to 1/3 creamy frosting)

Imo buns are like this:
    http://townie.wordpress.com/2008/01/06/fairy-cakes/
    (ie. 98% sponge, 2% icing)

I'll have a cupcake over a "bun" any day!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

amdublin wrote: »
    Imo cupcakes are like this:
    http://www.yumsugar.com/494777
    (ie. 2/3 sponge to 1/3 creamy frosting)
    Buns to me!

Well whatever they're called, they taste damn good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Cupcakes by the Sugar Loaf Bakery

Powerscourt Centre.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement