Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog barking- don't want to approach neighbour (again)

Options
  • 06-09-2009 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi all- i have a problem with my neighbours across the road. both of them work and are away from their house from 9am to 6pm. they leave their dog outside and he sits looking out the gate at the side of their house and barks practically non-stop until they come home.

The barking is really getting on my nerves and i am close to breaking point as i also work nights. But I am also concerned about the dog's welfare. Its not right to leave the dog like that all day every day he must be bored out of his brain. I own a dog myself and had a similar barking problem. I put up a second gate so the dog doesn't have access to the side of the house and it worked.

I suggested this to my neighbours several months ago but they didn't do it. They did leave the dog in the house for a couple of weeks but he is outside again. This has been going on for a whole year.

I don't want to approach them again as they are not the friendliest. in fact the woman of the house won't look or acknowledge my wife and I since i mentioned the barking problem.

I know i could go to the District Court but don't want to go down that road. if they were friendlier i'd even offer to walk their dog when i'm walking mine.

So any suggestions what i should do next?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

You've mentioned it to the owners, you've tried the nice approach.

You can complain
    Barking Dogs

Excessive dog barking that causes a nuisance is an offence. Your District Court can make an order requiring the reduction of excessive barking by a dog, can limit the number of dogs that can be kept on a premises or can direct that a dog be delivered to a dog warden as an unwanted dog.

You can make a complaint about excessive barking to the District Court under Noise Regulations. Before you do this, you must first inform the dog owner of your intention by completing a special form under the Control of Dogs Act, 1986. These forms are available from your local authority.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/environment/animal-welfare-and-control/control_of_dogs

Because that's not fair on the dog to be left alone for so long each day. Clearly it's upset/bored etc

Advertisement