Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL Irish - Impossible?

Options
  • 06-09-2009 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭

For someone who got a B in the JC mock (JC results not out till the 9th) but usually gets High-ish Cs is HL Irish doable or am I better off doing an extra subject and just not bothering with irish. BTW not planning on going to any of the NUIs.

Is business easy enough as an extra subject to study at home, the paper looks like a continuation of JC business theory.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

Hey! i got a B in Higher Level for the Junior Cert. I am still doing higher level, and I need at least a C3 in it for what I what to do. It certainly isnt impossible, but it is a step-up from Junior Cert Irish. I have heard teachers say that you should be getting at least a C in the Junior Cert to stay up at higher level for the leaving cert. Its hard but it is manageable. Good Luck with the results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭gnl

Its your choice in the end, but I'd stick with the Irish, at least for 5th year. Its way too early to write off NUIs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

It's not exactly nice at the start of 5th year, it is a fairly massive jump in the expected standard, but it levels off if you keep at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

HL Irish is not impossible. Nothing's impossible at all.

The great thing about the Irish paper is that it has not changed. The structure is always the same in both higher and ordinary level.

Irish for me was one of the easiest exams to obtain high grades in so I wouldn't write Irish off just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

gnl wrote: »
    Its your choice in the end, but I'd stick with the Irish, at least for 5th year. Its way too early to write off NUIs.
    The courses im thinking of aren't in any of the NUIs anyways and I could atleast get a C3 in HL irish without too much effort if I need it for entry(Which I doubt I will)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Personally, I would recommend that IF you have an extra subject, then drop to ordinary Irish. I did that for my LC because Irish would have required more work than any other subject. Its a personal choice though. A lot of people drop maths instead. Don'r rule out anything in terms of college, I only put down my course in the Feb before exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

B in HL JC. B1 in HL LC.

I didn't do a lick of study - all I did was watch TG4/listen to radio na gaeltachta about once a month, and for the love of god, go to Irish college ! It really does help, and the examiner LOVES to hear about it in your oral !

Also, Spongebob on TG4 is actually hilarious. I can't watch it in English anymore, its so funny in Irish.....everything just sounds weird as Bearla !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

C in JC HL. B2 In LC HL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭username4321

For someone who got a B in the JC mock (JC results not out till the 9th) but usually gets High-ish Cs is HL Irish doable or am I better off doing an extra subject and just not bothering with irish. BTW not planning on going to any of the NUIs.

Is business easy enough as an extra subject to study at home, the paper looks like a continuation of JC business theory.

Do higher level, you can always drop if u find it too difficult. Getting a B in the mock is great, you will have no problem. I got a C in HL Junior Cert and took HL for Leaving Cert I did little to no study (I dont recommend this though- i just wasnt mad about the subject so found it hard to motivate myself) and got a C3 -not great but I got my honour and tbh HL Irish is impressive on the aul CV so go for it and try anyway.

If your teacher thinks you are not able for it he/she will advise you to drop but if you are honouring in HL Junior Cert Irish you are the perfect candidate for HL Leaving Cert Irish, I think you'd actually be bored in Pass irish, the gap between honours and pass irish for Leaving Cert is, unfortunately a big gap so although HL is not that easy, pass for you (by the sounds of it) will be ridiculously boring and unchallenging!!
    Dont be worrying about the leaving before you've even gotten your JC Results !

By the way I would recommend Business to all JCs its a great subject, easy enough (ie no difficult formulas to learn, its in english, lot of it is general knowledge!) and handy in real life. Learning it home would be doable but unecessary, how many subjects are u already doing OP??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Business would be handy enough to take up yourself, particularly if you've got the basics from JC Business. None of it is overly difficult to actually understand, but knowing it inside out doesn't mean you'll necessarily score well on the exam. I'd definitely advise getting a few grinds at some stage, somewhat closer to the exams, perhaps, just to go through the exam structure, and how to answer questions. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I'm in the same boat really. Got a C in the mocks and expecting the same for the JC results. Just gonna try to improve it enough to get a C in the LC. Luckily, alot of the LC exam seems to be rote learning friendly. The oral will be a major challenge for me, until I started 5th year (last week) I can't remember ever speaking Irish to a teacher unless it was short and sweet.

My plan is to keep going and doing my best. There's no pass level in Irish anyway until 6th year (in my school anyway).

jumpguy wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat really. Got a C in the mocks and expecting the same for the JC results. Just gonna try to improve it enough to get a C in the LC. Luckily, alot of the LC exam seems to be rote learning friendly. The oral will be a major challenge for me, until I started 5th year (last week) I can't remember ever speaking Irish to a teacher unless it was short and sweet.

My plan is to keep going and doing my best. There's no pass level in Irish anyway until 6th year (in my school anyway).

Yeah I guess I can soldier on in it, If I really applied myself I might get an A but that would mean a F*CKLOAD of study for a subject quite frankly I wont use more than 10 times in my entire life after I leave school.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

A lot of my friends had certain courses in mind all through 5th and 6th year, then chose something completely different at the end of it all. Better to keep your options open IMO, you might know what you want now but you'd be surprised at how easily that could change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I got a B in HL JC Irish and an A1 in HL LC Irish.

It's pretty doable if you put the work in imo.

Jeebus wrote: »
    B in HL JC. B1 in HL LC.

I didn't do a lick of study - all I did was watch TG4/listen to radio na gaeltachta about once a month, and for the love of god, go to Irish college ! It really does help, and the examiner LOVES to hear about it in your oral !

Also, Spongebob on TG4 is actually hilarious. I can't watch it in English anymore, its so funny in Irish.....everything just sounds weird as Bearla !

TG4 is a fantastic asset particularly for aural work. I'd recommend everyone to sit down for an hour at least twice a week to train your ear to pronunciation of the Irish language. It'll really help in the long run. Trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

That_Guy wrote: »
    TG4 is a fantastic asset particularly for aural work. I'd recommend everyone to sit down for an hour at least twice a week to train your ear to pronunciation of the Irish language. It'll really help in the long run. Trust me.

Seriously good advice if implemented correctly. Doing it in the week approaching the orals, as recommended by my teacher, is no good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

If you found Business easy in Junior Cert, you're going to find it a walk in the park in Leaving. It's not exactly a full continuation of the JC Course. Basically it moves into workers rights, business managers, laws regarding business etc. Studying it myself for LC, haven't gotten much into it, but believe me, it's easier then a lot of other subjects you could study at home. And the easiest way to learn it I find is to put it to use rl examples. And of course with the f*ck up of an economy we have atm, with workers' rights being thrown around the place here and there, this is a perfect oppurtunity to get some good examples to learn from.

As for your problem with honours Irish, it's all about how much you care about the subject. Personally I don't agree with the way it's taught in schools and will pursue it in my own free time when I leave school. But if you're passionate about it and want to do well in the subject, it is doable, but you'll have to do a lot of work. If you couldn't give a sh*t, if it's not a part of your course subjects, and if it won't be on your concience in the future that you dropped it, the drop to pass..

Hope I've helped :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 poetryinmotion

Got a B in JC for irish(a low B at that id say i just scraped a B) n i remember i got 70% for my mocks for the JC.
    Got an A2 in the leaving, viewed my script n was 4(out of 600) marks off an A1.
    The lesson to be learned? JC results mean nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭paddy978

Why do you ask is it impossible in the thread title but in another post say you would get a C3 without much effort?:confused:

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Seriously good advice if implemented correctly. Doing it in the week approaching the orals, as recommended by my teacher, is no good.

You've got to do it early and immerse yourself in the language.

My sister has that Samsung phone with the Irish language option on it and herself and her friends were texting in Irish a month before the orals which is a really good idea.

Not everyone has this option so I'd recommend sitting down with a friend for an hour maybe twice a week and having a conversation in Irish. Really does the world of good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭JW91

I would consider HL Irish to one of the handiest subjects in the leaving cert. Well it's very easy to get a B but you have to be pretty sharp to get an A. I got a B2 myself with very little effort.

I say it's easy but I suppose what I really mean is that it's easy if you can speak a Irish to a reasonable enough level. I'm fairly alright at speaking Irish so I cruised through the oral and aural. The essay is fairly easy once you can think of a few useful phrases to throw in. And the reading comps are very straight forward. No study required for them at all.

I didn't bother learning any poems. I'd say I got very few marks on that section and I didn't learn any of the stair na gaelige either. The reasons being that they are worth very little marks anyway so I just decided not to bother with them.

I didn't actually study the stories or the play either but for some reason I always seemed to be able to rememebr them.

Overall I reckon it's a handy enough subject.

JW91 wrote: »
    I would consider HL Irish to one of the handiest subjects in the leaving cert. Well it's very easy to get a B but you have to be pretty sharp to get an A. I got a B2 myself with very little effort.

I say it's easy but I suppose what I really mean is that it's easy if you can speak a Irish to a reasonable enough level. I'm fairly alright at speaking Irish so I cruised through the oral and aural. The essay is fairly easy once you can think of a few useful phrases to throw in. And the reading comps are very straight forward. No study required for them at all.

I didn't bother learning any poems. I'd say I got very few marks on that section and I didn't learn any of the stair na gaelige either. The reasons being that they are worth very little marks anyway so I just decided not to bother with them.

I didn't actually study the stories or the play either but for some reason I always seemed to be able to rememebr them.

Overall I reckon it's a handy enough subject.

Sometimes these "little marks" are the difference between an A and a B and in the long run maybe the difference in getting your college place and not getting your college place.

Even though they may be worth very little they're still important and could be a huge factor come results day even if you wouldn't think it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭pjtb

Sometimes these "little marks" are the difference between an A and a B and in the long run maybe the difference in getting your college place and not getting your college place.

Even though they may be worth very little they're still important and could be a huge factor come results day even if you wouldn't think it.

I agree. Isn't Stair na Gaeilge worth 30/600, ie 5%, ie one full grade (under A1), ie 5 full LC points?

pjtb wrote: »
    I agree. Isn't Stair na Gaeilge worth 30/600, ie 5%, ie one full grade (under A1), ie 5 full LC points?

It's around that yes and is definitely worth learning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭JW91

I appreciate your point. It is worth a few marks alright and in the end I might have got an A myself if I had learned them. But I just hate studying and I felt considering there are so few marks available that there was no point botehring with it. Because both of those things would have required a decent amount of study for what I felt was a fairly low number of marks.

My post was just to show that the Irish HL course is very manageable if you have reasoable enough Irish.
    I reckon if you have good Irish yourself you can get on very well in it with little or no study(which is what i did)

However there was a girl in my class and she'd hardly have two sentences of Irish to string together but she studied very hard and learned off heaps of stuff off by heart and she got a C. So it can be done either way really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Irish is grand if you put in a bit of work. I got a C2 in JC Irish HL, bumped it up to an A2 for the Leaving thanks to a combination of having a much better teacher, watching Ros na Rún and the news on TG4 and actually doing some study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

I got a B in HL for the JC, and an A1 in HL LC. It can definitely be done if you're clever about how you study - learning a general essay or two for drama questions, and an aiste or two for paper one. I learned one aiste and one essay for An Triail and just twisted them to suit the question. The two most important things in the LC imo are learning how to twist questions to make them work for you, and, especially in Irish, grammar. If you focus on anything for the next two years, if you wanna do well, its cruinneas and not bucketloads of information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 chaotic dream

If you think you can do it keep it up, especially until the end of 5th year. I got a D in the JC and a C1 in the LC, and i was so convinced I'd need to drop that I bought all the Ord books at the start of 5th. All you have to do is work, learn off set phrases that can be used on everything and pay attention to your oral work, and if your teacher does and extra classes, go to them.

paddy978 wrote: »
    Why do you ask is it impossible in the thread title but in another post say you would get a C3 without much effort?:confused:
    Impossible to do well in, A C3 isn't doing well by my standards(Well parents standards anyways....)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭paddy978

Thanks for answering.

Dunno,if this is any help but a A1 in OL =60
    A C3 in HL =60

You are not guarenteed an A1 by sitting the pass paper whilst if you get a C3 with minimal work I'd do HL.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement