Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chimney Fire Question

Options
  • 06-09-2009 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Folks,

We built our house last year and installed a solid fuel stove. In my parents house I managed to set the chimney on fire and to this day I have a fear of them.

With a solid fuel stove, in a newly built house, is the chance of a chimney fire lessoned? I dont light blazing fires in the stove, just enough to heat the room.

P.S. There is a flexi flue from the back of the stuff leading up into the chimney itself.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

If you light only small fires you are going to get a buildup of creosote/tar in the chimney, This tar will build up over time and eventually cause a serious chimney fire , maybe even a house fire.

Is you chimney lined with flexi liner all the way to the top or is it only the connection at the bottom and then a clay flue up to the top?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

If you light only small fires you are going to get a buildup of creosote/tar in the chimney, This tar will build up over time and eventually cause a serious chimney fire , maybe even a house fire.

Is you chimney lined with flexi liner all the way to the top or is it only the connection at the bottom and then a clay flue up to the top?

The flexi liner goes about 3 feet into the chimney and its clay flue from there.

Strange setup have never see it done that way , if you can get up to the roof and have a look at the chimney from the top you will see if you are getting a buildup of tar , BTW what fuel do you burn?

Strange setup have never see it done that way , if you can get up to the roof and have a look at the chimney from the top you will see if you are getting a buildup of tar , BTW what fuel do you burn?

Im burning timber at the minute. We had stuff left around after the build so I was just using that at the minute. There were off cuts from timber floor, 2 x 1's, etc. Going to be burning either turf or kiln dried timber in it though.
    So should I have put a flexi flue all the way up the chimney?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Hi,

You need to be able to clean the chimney twice a year that's not over kill some recommend three times a year.

I have seen flexi taken directly off stoves and will not touch them, in fact if I could I would disable them from working as some use the wrong grade of flexi buying off cuts of the grade suitable for oil or gas not solid fuel.

As pointed out the smaller the fire the bigger chance of a chimney fire, at best line the flue properly to suit the stove, minimum use a stainless steel flue adapter.

Regardless of how the stove is installed you must be able to clean the chimney without disturbing the pipes from the stove, they should be able to take the pressure from the rods, this is usually achieved using good brackets.

• Advertisement

PeteHeat wrote: »
    Hi,

You need to be able to clean the chimney twice a year that's not over kill some recommend three times a year.

I have seen flexi taken directly off stoves and will not touch them, in fact if I could I would disable them from working as some use the wrong grade of flexi buying off cuts of the grade suitable for oil or gas not solid fuel.

As pointed out the smaller the fire the bigger chance of a chimney fire, at best line the flue properly to suit the stove, minimum use a stainless steel flue adapter.

Regardless of how the stove is installed you must be able to clean the chimney without disturbing the pipes from the stove, they should be able to take the pressure from the rods, this is usually achieved using good brackets.

Hi Pete,
    We have an adaptor coming out of the back of the stove that we got with it from the suppliers. The flexi flue we also bought from the stove suppliers and it connects to this and is pushed into the chimney. We only started to light the fire about 2 or 3 weeks ago so we have havent tried to clean the chimney yet.

very bad idea, that flexi liner should be double skin insulated liner and should go to the top of the chimney.

very bad idea, that flexi liner should be double skin insulated liner and should go to the top of the chimney.

Im not sure what kind of flexi it is as it was supplied by the stove supplier. They supplied the angled connector from the back of the stove that connects to the flexi flue. This is sealed with fire cement.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

Just about to install a stove myself.

Here's the set up

Clay liner lined Chimney

Stove will be rear exit

There is quite an angle (coming out) in the current fire bricks with a large shelf onto for soot.

Is it best to remove the current bricks back as far as i can go

Use an angle out of the stove, then a straight, possible another angle (s shape), straight and an adapter for a clay liner on top (7" to 6")

Should i also put a damper in somewhere as the flue is 7"?

I will be using a register plate too (Fireboard).

All help greatly appreciated

Im not sure what kind of flexi it is as it was supplied by the stove supplier. They supplied the angled connector from the back of the stove that connects to the flexi flue. This is sealed with fire cement.

Hi,

From your description there is a 90 degree bend off the back of the stove with the flexi fitted into it held there by fire cement, then the flexi is pushed into the clay flue about 3 feet.

I would not like to be the person who has to try to clean the chimney as there is a good chance that the flexi will not be able to take the pressure.

As installations go that would not qualify as being in substantial compliance with any regulations, manufacturers guide lines or good working practice.

Some shops are afraid to tell customers what is needed to install a stove properly because many customers are not prepared for the expence and the shop loses the sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Hi Guys,

I was just reading this thread with interest.

We're putting a Stanley Erin Solid Fuel Stove (with back boiler) into our house that we're building .

I was talking to the builder yesterday and all we have is a clay flue up to the top, and there is going to be a right angle flue coming from the stove top exit that will go into the wall/chimney breast.
    When the right angle flue enters the chimney breast, there is the fire concrete surrounded by sand that leads into the clay flue which goes to the top.
    (I hope that description makes sense)

Is there any need for the flexi flue as the builder was saying it's very hard to clean a chimney with those in it ?

I'm pretty clueless about this, so any advice would be appreciated.

Hi,

I would not recommend a right angle (90 degrees) as the flue gas (smoke) can hit the back of the flue and (choke) prevent the flue gas from rising.

I would recommend using a 45 degree bend and the flue gas being directed into the flue, basically point it in the right direction.

Don't forget the chimney will need to be swept at least once a year so you need easy access to carry out the cleaning without causing too much disruption to your home.

It is no harder to clean the chimney with the proper liner than it its with a clay flue in fact I would say it's easier because if you start with a 5" flue section that opens to an 8" section how do you get the correct brush into the flue ?

Using a 5" flue or whichever size suits the stove means all you need is the correct size brush and you get a thorough cleaning all the way to the top.

But you think it's OK of we don't have that liner ?

Hi,

I think you will find the last two paragraphs are suggesting that you install the liner if for no other reason than it will make cleaning the chimney easier.

There are other reasons such as operating your stove efficiently and ensuring that the low temperature flue gas (smoke) does not form creosote from the likely condensates in the over sized clay flue.

I do not sell Waterford Stanley products and would not claim to know what their recommendations are, I am only pointing out what I believe to be good working practice when installing any solid fuel stove.

I hope you find the above is of some help.

Yep - thanks for all the advice !

Advertisement