Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debt = Wealth

• 06-09-2009 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

Watch this it is hilarious. Over a year old but still worth to watch. Could not believe what I heard! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjbPZAMked0&feature=video_response An American congressman says debt = wealth. He has a fancy business degree from the university of Berkley. Is this what they teach people in economics these days that debt equals wealth?

Comments

If he has a business degree, how is he an economist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

If he has a business degree, how is he an economist?

I do believe you have courses in Macroeconomics when you study for a business degree. At least they do in Sweden. I would never set foot in such a course since the absurd teachings they seem to have going on.

SLUSK wrote: »
    I do believe you have courses in Macroeconomics when you study for a business degree. At least they do in Sweden. I would never set foot in such a course since the absurd teachings they seem to have going on.

He has an engineering degree and an MBA. He is not an economist.

I'm really failing to see your point here.

He says that Debt = Wealth, clearly he must have got these views from somewhere, probably from university. Those institutions are a great way to destroy thinking minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

I would never set foot in such a course since the absurd teachings they seem to have going on.
    Yeah, it's so much better to learn via Youtube.

• Advertisement

In the long run you have been better of listening to Peter Schiff, Gerald Celente, Jim Rogers and Max Keiser. If I had watched youtube earlier I would have dropped my entire portfolio in 2007 already while it was at its peak.

When it comes to economics I think it is better to listen to those who get it right most of the time, even if the source happens to be youtube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Alright I'm re-opening this on two conditions (you may guess which one applies to you)

1. People acknowledge that some people with degrees in Economics are idiots. And that an MBA is not a degree in Economics.

2. There is nothing wrong with not having a degree in Economics and asking questions to the regulars on this forum, and that regulars should not be dicks to non-economists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

What has this got to do with economics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

When it comes to economics I think it is better to listen to those who get it right most of the time, even if the source happens to be youtube.

A broad enough swing is sure to land one or two punches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

What has this got to do with economics?
    What has Economics got to do with anything, the discipline bears the same relationship to the economy as tipsters do to Racing.

• Advertisement

What has Economics got to do with anything, the discipline bears the same relationship to the economy as tipsters do to Racing.

Care to flesh out what you are saying here? Your obvious expertise is of some interest to me.

Care to flesh out what you are saying here? Your obvious expertise is of some interest to me.

I prefer to be economic, so rather than enlarge I will reduce things to a neat little formula for you.

Economics=commentary.

I prefer to be economic, so rather than enlarge I will reduce things to a neat little formula for you.

Economics=commentary.

As predicted, you have nothing useful to say.

Run along, now.

As predicted, you have nothing useful to say.

Run along, now.

I need to correct you, you did not many any prediction in your previous post, but if you had made a prediction about my answer to it and were correct in your prediction this would be in no way to your credit because the sample size of the data available to you on the subject would not have been large enough for you to make an informed decision, which brings me around to my original point that predictions about future events made by Racing Tipsters or by Economists will in the long run be as accurate as randomly generated predictions on horse racing or economics.

I expect more detachment from a Scientist than your "Run along, now" and on the basis of this small sample I will assume that either
    (a) You lost your temper (b) You are stupid and conceited.

I will model this problem and try to get back with a definitive solution.

Still nothing useful said. Anytime you feel like it, RAB...

Still nothing useful said. Anytime you feel like it, RAB...

Ah thanks I needed one more piece of data for my model.

The answer is (b)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Well hasn't this thread just re-affirmed my faith in humanity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement