Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air rifle... no mention in new guidlines etc??

Options
  • 06-09-2009 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭

Ok i have a .22 pcp air arms s410 xtra fac rifle. it was no problem applying for it originally, i just said to the fo (over a chat), that id be using it for bunnies, rats and grey squirrels.... no problem, i just said on the (old) form it was for target practice.... now i cant do that unless im in a range club.... i go out a least twice a week bunny bashing... my mate uses his .17hmr... he drops me off at a certain gate and goes away off banging.. meanwhile i shnaaake around the couple of fields, see a bunny or two, drop to all fours and crawl stalk them until i get to 30 yds.. head shot... between eyeball and but of ear.. instant death(after the crazy death leap)..

Now to me.. i reckon this is true hunting... bushcraft etc, feeling the wind and going against it, lining yourself up to get a whin bush between you and the quarry, crawling for 5 or six minutes, breathing throu nose so not to make a sound etc etc etc...

where the hell does this leave us in the new application process?? im at a total loss...

(i dont want to give up the air rifle and take up a .22lr, cos the .22lr is too easy, i actually enjoy seeing how close i can get to the prey. even tho the air rifle is well fit for gettin sub quarter inch groups at 60 yds. !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭guns4fun

flanum wrote: »
    Ok i have a .22 pcp air arms s410 xtra fac rifle. it was no problem applying for it originally, i just said to the fo (over a chat), that id be using it for bunnies, rats and grey squirrels.... no problem, i just said on the (old) form it was for target practice.... now i cant do that unless im in a range club.... i go out a least twice a week bunny bashing... my mate uses his .17hmr... he drops me off at a certain gate and goes away off banging.. meanwhile i shnaaake around the couple of fields, see a bunny or two, drop to all fours and crawl stalk them until i get to 30 yds.. head shot... between eyeball and but of ear.. instant death(after the crazy death leap)..

Now to me.. i reckon this is true hunting... bushcraft etc, feeling the wind and going against it, lining yourself up to get a whin bush between you and the quarry, crawling for 5 or six minutes, breathing throu nose so not to make a sound etc etc etc...

where the hell does this leave us in the new application process?? im at a total loss...

(i dont want to give up the air rifle and take up a .22lr, cos the .22lr is too easy, i actually enjoy seeing how close i can get to the prey. even tho the air rifle is well fit for gettin sub quarter inch groups at 60 yds. !

Just get a letter from the land owner where you normally shoot and that will do fine for hunting.
    Not sure about the target thing and if it applies to pistols and rifles only.
    Ring the garda hq firearms policy unit and they will put you right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

Can you join the local gun club, your mate with with the Hmr most be in one, or is he in the same boat your in...........

Advertisement