Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEG RANGE

Options
  • 06-09-2009 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm trying to turn an AEG specifically a CA M15A4 SLV into an DMR so I'm just wondering whats the average range for an standard M16 AEG;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Beano7

well it completly depends on the hop up on/off and the fps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Beano7 wrote: »
    well it completly depends on the hop up on/off and the fps

Care to elaborate? Otherwise your post offers nothing to the thread.

And he said range, therefore you don't have to be too accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

Most effective accuracy and range, for an aeg at 328, is roughly the 50m mark maximum, most likely 40-45. Further if you arc it, but you're looking at a loss of accuracy and easier deviation at range with wind etc... naturally, in windy conditions, range means feck all to accuracy... and if its humid it will be shorter range too...

m83 wrote: »
    Care to elaborate? Otherwise your post offers nothing to the thread.

And he said range, therefore you don't have to be too accurate.

if you have hop fully on the bb can have a better range then if it is off, but you sacrific accuracy and a gun shooting 329 fps goes further the one shooting 300, any clearer?:rolleyes:

Actually no... A gun shooting 300 and one shooting 329 (illegal, dont you mean 328?) Will actually produce very little difference, and hop fully on will produce an inaccurate trajectory. ie, up.

The correct hop setting IMPROVES accuracy, because the backspin stabalises the bb in flight. You will sacrafice NO accuracy by using hopup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Phractal

Theoretically, a AEG shooting at 328fps will travel 328 feet horizontally from the muzzle in one second, and drop by 9.8 meters from the line of the muzzle in said second. This is not factoring in air resistance, which depends on atmospheric conditions, the quality of the BB, etc. Hopup adds backspin and makes the BB travel upward a bit, cutting down on the Bullet Drop.

In practice, what Firekitten said is what effectively matters.

Firekitten wrote: »
    Actually no... A gun shooting 300 and one shooting 329 (illegal, dont you mean 328?) Will actually produce very little difference, and hop fully on will produce an inaccurate trajectory. ie, up.

The correct hop setting IMPROVES accuracy, because the backspin stabalises the bb in flight. You will sacrafice NO accuracy by using hopup.

ok you just contradicted yourself there bud and i dont reckon the gaurds will come breaking my door down over 1 fps;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

ok you just contradicted yourself there bud and i dont reckon the gaurds will come breaking my door down over 1 fps;)

Still won't be able to skirmish it.:)

do explain 'bud'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

How did Firekitten contradict herself?
    And it doesn't matter if the Gardai don't bust down your door, anything over 328fps with a 0.2gr BB is illegal. FACT.

EDIT: People keep beating me to posting things today, I'm looking at you Blay!

• Advertisement

Blay wrote: »
    Still won't be able to skirmish it.:)

i disagree i play every second week, a airsoft gun can be tempermental, one day shoots over then another shoots under, you should know that and bud is a friendly term like mate

• Registered Users Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

i disagree i play every second week, a airsoft gun can be tempermental, one day shoots over then another shoots under, you should know that and bud is a friendly term like mate

Well then you should make sure it's under on every shot, everyone else keeps their gun under the limit every shot so should you, and any reputable site shouldn't be letting you play with a gun firing even 1fps over the limit.
    Leftyflip wrote:
    People keep beating me to posting things today, I'm looking at you Blay!
    Sorry Lefty:P

Airsoft devices may be tempermental, but if they chrono over, they can't be used, I know myself that if I'm chronographing guns and somebody's gun chrono's at 329 or over, I won't let them use it until it fires under the legal limit and I'm sure many other marshalls are the same.

And Firekitten meant for you to explain how she had contradicted herself, I imagine.

Firstly, if its over, tempermental or not, its illegal, and cant be used... not only does it void the site insurance, but you're parents can be hauled off to jail for your brandishing an illegal firearm in a public place (a site is a public place)

The blazé attitude you're wearing wont fly with the gardai, and really doesnt have a place in airsoft. We have to be careful, and 'ahh be reet' doesnt cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

you wont be using a 329 in seacom either.

Back to range topic, Is it best to zero a scope red dot or magnification for 30m.

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

lochdara wrote: »
    you wont be using a 329 in seacom either.

Back to range topic, Is it best to zero a scope red dot or magnification for 30m.

For a red dot, it would probably be best to zero it at the range at which you engage other players most, as for a scope 30m could be best, but I wouldn't know for sure, some of the snipers here might know better.

30 is relative to the gun setup... for a dmr, a little further, perhaps 40, (its easily doable at that fps) and concentrate on accuracy upgrades like hop and barrel and air seals in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭.22 Lover

Well hopefully soon enough i am going to install a new metal hopup unit with new rubber and a Prometheus 6.03 inner barrel that should do something.And my guns power is at around 91-84 meters per second.

im not a sniper, Just an g36 or m4 setup. Have new hopup, seals and pistons installed and new motor soon.

I'll do a 25-30 metre zero. It doesnt have to be exact where i play anyway.
    Just a guide for quicker shooting.

Mm, trees make big targets ;)

• Advertisement

Firekitten wrote: »
    Mm, trees make big targets ;)
    ?

thats why i dont have to be exact :D.

But When I do get a good line its normally in that range.

Although i have got my g36 to go 40-50m with a good bb and the hopup adjusted well.

.22 Lover wrote: »
    ?

i play at seacom. A big forest

i play at seacom. A big forest
    Oh ok

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

You should also see an advantage with using a heavier BB, the common misconception with them is "heavier travels less distance but straighter" but in fact you can often see an increase in the range with them. they'll stay straighter too. combine that with a decent barrel, prommy or madbull and a guarder hopup to get the maximum out of it. theres other more intricate things you can do like cleaning out the cylinder and getting rid of all the grease but these effects will be less noticible. sometimes the cylinder can spit some of the great they use on its o ring and it ends up in the hopup.

Well I'm using .20s and i might as well be spitting at anything farther then 20 meters so any recommendations?And what about hopup buckings am i looking for hardness or softer stuff?

Masada wrote: »
    You should also see an advantage with using a heavier BB, the common misconception with them is "heavier travels less distance but straighter" but in fact you can often see an increase in the range with them. they'll stay straighter too. combine that with a decent barrel, prommy or madbull and a guarder hopup to get the maximum out of it. theres other more intricate things you can do like cleaning out the cylinder and getting rid of all the grease but these effects will be less noticible. sometimes the cylinder can spit some of the great they use on its o ring and it ends up in the hopup.
    Indeeed. The weight, say, a .25 has more kinetic energy, dispite a lower muzzle velocity... and thus its more stable in flight, and will fly possibly further. If anything, its infinately more accurate. I dont even use .2s in any of my guns, aegs, pistols or sniper rifles.

Well I'm using .20s and i might as well be spitting at anything farther then 20 meters so any recommendations?

Well i use only bio bbs and i have a noticable difference between gunfire and G&G.

I also compared a stock G36 with my newly upgraded one side by side last week and i was getting 10-15 metres more.
    I put in new airnozzle, (mine was drilled) new spring (mine was cut :( ) new piston, bearing, piston head, and guarder hopup.
    Cost me a few euro and it does make a difference, Fps is now 300ish so nice n safe,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Well I'm using .20s and i might as well be spitting at anything farther then 20 meters so any recommendations?And what about hopup buckings am i looking for hardness or softer stuff?

I would use a minimum of .23 BBs, as for hopup, you want the softer rubber. the reason being, as the BB passes it, a softer rubber has more grip and needs to be engaged less for the same amount of grip as a harder one. this means you don't sacrifice as much muzzle velocity to get the desired effect. :)

• Advertisement

Well i use only bio bbs and i have a noticable difference between gunfire and G&G.

I also compared a stock G36 with my newly upgraded one side by side last week and i was getting 10-15 metres more.
    I put in new airnozzle, (mine was drilled) new spring (mine was cut :( ) new piston, bearing, piston head, and guarder hopup.
    Cost me a few euro and it does make a difference, Fps is now 300ish so nice n safe,
    Well i really don't want to open the gearbox to put in a new air nossile because i don't know what to do and its my first airsoft gun so im a little cautious of ripping it to pieces.

Advertisement