Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neutering

Options
  • 06-09-2009 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭

MY pup is just a year old this month. He has over past few months starting mounting dogs in park regularly, straying away from me when off leash and sometime running after other dogs(not just female and not in aggressive way) and in past month he has gotten aggressive at times with other male dogs( never aggressive before) whoch i feel is sexually driven . He marks everywhere and pull s real hard on leash to get to lampposts/trees to sniff and mark which runs our walks.
    Will such behaviours change as he gets older? or does he need to get fixed? Is it too late now at a year to reduce these behaviours through neutering?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

He's not really a pup anymore, and he's very sexual active (or would be given the chance).
    Neutering will reduce this behaviour, it's in their nature to want to mate/ mark territory and possibly fight off males. Neutering reduces this urge and can calm them down quite a bit, personally I think it's a good idea. Especially given he's starting to get more aggressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

Mounting other dogs isint always sexually driven, it can be to do with dominance a lot of the time, hence why you've probably noticed it isint always females he goes after! Neutering can help with this, but isint an outright cure for it either. It can help if hes straying after bitches in heat, but won't stop him from straying for the sake of wanting to stray. Some people say it helps with aggression, I think it really depends on the individual dog and why he is becoming aggressive, but id definetely get him neutered anyways as it may help.

Neutering won't help very much with him marking, dogs will still mark especially males, my male dog is 4ish and was neutered probably when he was about 1.5 to 2 years old and he still marks things. He pulls towards things because he knows he will get there faster by pulling, lead training would be the only thing that will stop that. Have a look at halti headcollars, there pretty good at stopping a dog from pulling once the dog gets used to it.

Id say overall get him neutered, aswel as the behaviourial benefits theres also health benefits such as lower risk of certain cancers. And its definetely never too late to do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

dee o gee wrote: »
    Mounting other dogs isint always sexually driven, it can be to do with dominance a lot of the time, hence why you've probably noticed it isint always females he goes after! Neutering can help with this, but isint an outright cure for it either. It can help if hes straying after bitches in heat, but won't stop him from straying for the sake of wanting to stray. Some people say it helps with aggression, I think it really depends on the individual dog and why he is becoming aggressive, but id definetely get him neutered anyways as it may help.

Neutering won't help very much with him marking, dogs will still mark especially males, my male dog is 4ish and was neutered probably when he was about 1.5 to 2 years old and he still marks things. He pulls towards things because he knows he will get there faster by pulling, lead training would be the only thing that will stop that. Have a look at halti headcollars, there pretty good at stopping a dog from pulling once the dog gets used to it.

Id say overall get him neutered, aswel as the behaviourial benefits theres also health benefits such as lower risk of certain cancers. And its definetely never too late to do it!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutering#Disadvantages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

I presume your asking about the disadvantages when you posted that link? I know plenty of cats and dogs, both male and female, that are neutered and have no neutering related health problems. I volunteer at a shelter where all the animals are neutered, and the only complications i seen was a little female dog that had a reaction to the anaesthesia and died. That said the female neutering op is WAY more invasive than the male op (typical fellas always haveit easy). You just have to weigh up the pros and cons yourself and make a choice, talk to your vet about it maybe! And if your on benefits or have a medical card its cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

The operation can take as little as 15 mins to perform on a male. Its simple.

Most dogs tend to relax especially if their behaviour is sexually driven.

Some people mistakenly believe that it will cure hyperactivity or just plain bad behaviour but those things are bad behaviour i.e bad training.

Your dog won't get fat unless you over feed him.

From the sounds of it your dog would benifit from getting it done and generally it saves hassle for people. accidents happen to doggies too, unfortunatly they can't make their own contraceptive choices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

I would really urge you to get him neutered - the benifits far outweigh the risks. It will definately help curb the bad habbits (marking etc.) but some of it will be down to you. Instant correction anytime he does anything you don't want him to will get the message arross that you mean business and won't put up with him. Combined with neutering (and once his hormone levels drop to nearly nothing) this should do the trick. If he doesn't really have the urge anymore all you really need to work on is stopping the habit. It's never too late to neuter and a year is still quite young, your vet should be able to give you all the info you need about it.

Advertisement