Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy in Wicklow

• 06-09-2009 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any advice as to where I can source a puppy. We are really looking for a boxer but they seem to be very expensive. We go to the local animal sanctuary but are finding it hard ot get puppies. I really think a puppy would be our best option for thr children. Does anyone one know any good sites or possibly of a litter. We are in Wicklow town

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Have you tried the Ash animal shelter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Ring them though, they're not good at emailing.

Also try the pets / animal issues forum as well or www.irishdogs.ie - I'm sure you'll get loads of suggestions. There's no need to pay for a purebred like a commodity when there's loads of dogs out there that need a home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Willow101

I tried to get a puppy from Ash, drove all the way out there and they would not entertain us because I work 4 days a week and they believe you must be at home with the dog all day. Apparently a puppy is the same as a baby!!
    My neighbour found a puppy abandoned in bushes in Rosehill over a week ago and gave it to the pound, so you could try calling Sharpeshill about him? Good luck but some of the sanctuaries/pounds make it quite difficult to adopt an animal......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭anamcarame

My neighbour found a puppy abandoned in bushes in Rosehill over a week ago and gave it to the pound, so you could try calling Sharpeshill about him? Good luck but some of the sanctuaries/pounds make it quite difficult to adopt an animal......[/quote]

Thanks. I was out a sharpeshill yesterday and one day last week but they had nothing we were interested in. Glad you mentioned the issue about working though as I work till 3pm each day. But I do have a bit of flexibility and can nip home occassionally. :)

They are quite strict on the home all day thing, so chose your words carefully when describing your work hours!!
    Also check out gumtree, they have some puppies for free I think, some mixed breed collie X, terriers and a young labrador needing homes.

Good luck and hope you find something soon.
    Eventually we found our pup in Cork, friend of a friends dog had pups and got her that way, but if we left it up to pounds we would never have been given one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Maybe you should think about why the animal sanctuaries will not home dogs to people who will be out all day. It's obviously not just to be bloody-minded, but an animal welfare issue.
    It's great to have a puppy but if you are not in a position to look after it properly perhaps it would be better to wait a while when your circumstances might change.

I do not believe for a dog to be healthy and happy it needs to be indoors with company 24/7. Even if you do not work atall does that mean you will be at home all day or that you will have your dog indoors?
    I do not believe in getting a dog/puppy if it will not be part of the family but I have had dogs for many years and they are outside from morning till about 5pm some days and then in with us for the rest of the day. It has always worked pretty well as I think they need their own dog time too, to relax in the garden, dig, chew things etc.
    Things they are generally not allowed to do in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

YOU may not believe that but obviously the people responsible for these dogs do. I would suggest that they are more expert.
    Consider also that dogs from shelters have probably been rejected/abandoned once already, they will need more care and attention then usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭anamcarame

Thanks for all the great info . We managed to get our puppy this week, As it happens she was given to us by a very kind lady who knew how much she would be loved and looked after. A complete new experiece for us but we are loving it.

Advertisement