Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor issue - HELP BADLY NEEDED

• 06-09-2009 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hey guys,

I am in Denmark for the next 4 months and since I arrived (Wednesday) my nokia 5220 phone will not access any of the servers over here. Thus leaving me no coverage and a useless phone. I have been in contact with meteor about the issue and they didnt help me at all. So I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on how I may be able to fix it? Maybe someone out there has had a similar issue.

All feedback greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

PP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭colsku

Hey man...

I had a similar problem with Meteor in Finland.

I solved the problem by changing networks!

If you're gonna be there for a while, it's somethng you should defo consider as Meteor probably have no roaming agreement with a Danish network.

[snip - that wasn't really neccessary - random]

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Public Pervert

They do have an agreement with a company over here though, that's the thing. My friends were here during the Summer and it worked after they unlocked their phones and had to top up with something like 60 euro. But I wanna see if there's another way around it before I go spending crazy money for something that may not work. My friend who is with me for 4 months is also with meteor and has had the exact same problem so its not just my phone...

From the Meteor site:

http://www.meteor.ie/plans/roaming/international_roaming/payg_roaming/

Other Countries

The first time you want to roam in other countries, you will need to:

* Call us a week before you travel
    * Confirm the start and end dates of your trip
    * Download this credit card mandate to register your credit card details with us
    * Complete and return this form to us before you travel
    * *Make an advance payment of €60. Your advance payment will be used against any calls/texts made and received while abroad.

Remember to check your credit balance as you may need to top up to cover the total cost of all calls/texts made and received while abroad. If you feel you will be using your phone a lot while away it's useful to buy a top up voucher before you go and bring it with you!

Next time you want to roam, once your credit card is still registered, just call Customer Care 2-3 days before you travel, confirm the start and end dates of your trip, make an advance payment of €60 and the service will be set up for you.

*Once you have pre-registered your credit card you can make your advance payment of €60 by topping up via 1741, online or by calling Customer Care. The €60 advance payment will be used against all the calls/texts you make/receive while you are roaming. Should you incur charges in excess of this advance payment they will be deducted from your balance.

colsku wrote: »
    From the Meteor site:

http://www.meteor.ie/plans/roaming/international_roaming/payg_roaming/

Other Countries

The first time you want to roam in other countries, you will need to:

* Call us a week before you travel
    * Confirm the start and end dates of your trip
    * Download this credit card mandate to register your credit card details with us
    * Complete and return this form to us before you travel
    * *Make an advance payment of €60. Your advance payment will be used against any calls/texts made and received while abroad.

Remember to check your credit balance as you may need to top up to cover the total cost of all calls/texts made and received while abroad. If you feel you will be using your phone a lot while away it's useful to buy a top up voucher before you go and bring it with you!

Next time you want to roam, once your credit card is still registered, just call Customer Care 2-3 days before you travel, confirm the start and end dates of your trip, make an advance payment of €60 and the service will be set up for you.

*Once you have pre-registered your credit card you can make your advance payment of €60 by topping up via 1741, online or by calling Customer Care. The €60 advance payment will be used against all the calls/texts you make/receive while you are roaming. Should you incur charges in excess of this advance payment they will be deducted from your balance.

Considering the above, I would leave the network on principle alone.

Shocking that you have to do all this to roam in Denmark and some other major countries in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pixiestix

hi there, i used to work for meteor, the way they do roaming is you have to sign a credit card mandate form and pay 60euro, they do put the 60 quid onto you mobile as credit, but that is the only way they will do it(and it only works for a month). it never used to be so strict, but there was alot of trouble with people going away and running up major credit and not paying it back, so they have become real strict about it. what i reckon you should do is unlock your fone and get a sim from the country you are in. just copy all your numbers to your fone from your meteor sim and let every one you want to be in contact with know your new number when you pop your new sim into your fone. it will save you alot of money on roaming charges too. you are lucky you have a nokia, they are the easiest and cheapest fones to unlock. i do hope this helps :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

I am on Meteor and just came back from three weeks in Denmark and roamed no problem. But as others have described it's because you have no roaming activated. The only way you are going to get around this is pay the €60 which I did a while back before going to another country (they just use that €60 to pay your future bills).

I believe you will find it very hard to buy a local sim in Denmark without a CPR (social security number). They seem very strict with sims over there, you can't just pick one up AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

OP, you say the Meteor CS staff were no help. What did they try or suggest?

They basically said it wasnt their problem that it must be a problem with the network over here. In other words, just passing the blame. They guy I spoke to mentioned nothing about this sixty euro credit malarkey or anything about my roaming options. So in other words he was quite useless. I've already learned more here than I did off a meteor representative so cheers for that guys!

Its seems a lot of money to have to top up with 60 euro per month coz I normally wouldnt spend over 20 at home. From what I have heard the rates over here are quite expensive so I'm not sure if it would be worth my while to buy a danish sim card. hmmm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

They basically said it wasnt their problem that it must be a problem with the network over here. In other words, just passing the blame. They guy I spoke to mentioned nothing about this sixty euro credit malarkey or anything about my roaming options. So in other words he was quite useless. I've already learned more here than I did off a meteor representative so cheers for that guys!

Its seems a lot of money to have to top up with 60 euro per month coz I normally wouldnt spend over 20 at home. From what I have heard the rates over here are quite expensive so I'm not sure if it would be worth my while to buy a danish sim card. hmmm...

Meteor still offer camel roaming in certain countries whereby a deposit, the €60 that was mentioned previously, is required before you are able to roam successfully on a Meteor partner network.

Camel roaming is an older type of roaming service which other Irish networks, such as Vodafone, offered in the past, but moved away from due to the hassle customers had to be put through. Camel roaming is not applicable to Meteor postpaid customers and certain countries can be roamed in by prepaid customers without the need for camel roaming; these are referred to as Key Travel Destinations on the Meteor website.

A more detailed look at camel roaming can be found here and here; please note that this is quite detailed information and is only for those who wish to know how camel roaming technically works.

I bought a danish sim card in the end. Seemed like the easiest and cheapest option. The rates arent too bad at all so I'm happy enough.

Thanks for all the help guys!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

I bought a danish sim card in the end. Seemed like the easiest and cheapest option. The rates arent too bad at all so I'm happy enough.

Thanks for all the help guys!

how invasive was that purchase? did they need any ID, iris scans or the like?

It worked out at like 13 euro for the sim card and I got the 13 euro back in credit too. No info at all was needed. Just walked in and got the sim card. its a pre pay one though.

Advertisement