Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quality is reading....

Options
  • 06-09-2009 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭

I thought I had better start this... read loads during the summer, will be back studying soon and may not have as much time to read.. But here goes

The Girl who played with fire... Stieg Larsson..

2nd part to the millenium trilogy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Finally finished the girl who played with fire.. really enjoyed it.. Looking forward to the last book in the series.

Will be starting Pat Barker' regeneration tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dennisjoe

The Praxis 2 study and preparation is the key to a career as a certified teacher.

Ok, so it took me ages to finish regeneration.

Onto

The Great Gatsby by Fitzgerald,

i like the american greats..

The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry...

Finished the Secret Scriptures, really enjoyed this book, I found it very moving towards the end... Embarrassed to say I shed a tear..

Started Angels in my Hair by Lorna Byrne last night...

Not the usual type of book that I would read but it has been recommended to me as "Life Changing".

Its the story of an Irish Mystic, so here goes!!

• Advertisement

Finished Angels in my hair finally.. Not really my cup of tea.. Story of an irish mistic..

Going to start Amongst Women by John McGahern tonight..

Back at college so reading time is very limited.:(

Amongst Women finished... I was really hooked on this book, McGahern gave a great identity to each person in the family.

I liked his style of writing.

Started To Kill a Mockingbird. Harper Lee.

Finished to kill a mockingbird, truly a great book.

Also finished The handmaids tale, by Margaret Atwood,

Really didnt know what to expect with this book, was a bit dubious for the first few chapters and then I was hooked. I really couldnt put it down, It really captured my attention and imagination.

An excellent read and definitely one to recommend from me.

Now what to read next, I have Shantaram and The reader ready to go.. decisions decisions!:D

On the last few chapters of Shantaram!! This has been a big book for me to read, I have enjoyed it very much. I do think that it is mostly fiction and would be very loosely based on the authors life story.

I would definitely recommend it. It is a great story, and I am not bored with it, but with almost 1000 pages its a long haul for me.

I bought roberto bolano's 2666, but think I will have to give it a few months, (or at least until my exams are over) before I commit to such a big book again!.

Read Slaughterhouse five, I liked it, an easy read for me.

Also just finishing the Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway.

Not long to go to the exams being out of the way and getting some serious reading done...:)

• Advertisement

I have read the Reader by Bernhard Schlink.

It was ok, nice story but a bit drawn I prefer women writing about love.

Started Money by Martin Amis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

I've read a couple of Schlinks books. Not sure if I've read The Reader though. It was a while ago now. Always enjoyed his writing. Seeing this just reminded me of him. Might pick up The Reader and have a look at it. I'll know then whether I've read it or not.

I've read a couple of Schlinks books. Not sure if I've read The Reader though. It was a while ago now. Always enjoyed his writing. Seeing this just reminded me of him. Might pick up The Reader and have a look at it. I'll know then whether I've read it or not.

Kate winslet and Ralph Fiennes were in the movie the made of it last year.. I haven't seen that film, yet.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

I thought it sounded familiar all right. Think Winslet was nominated for an Oscar or something. I'll have to check it out now.

Hmm its been a while, but I am back on track with the reading..

have read recently

The Help Kathryn Stockett

I really enjoyed this book... I think it will stay with me for a long time!

Sister Rosamund Lupton

Yes not bad book, a good story and good twist, but I felt that the plot in someways could have been tightened up a lot. but enjoyable and fast moving.

The Poisonwood Bible Barbara Kingslover

Excellent, great read, great story..

The Little Stranger- Sarah Waters

Enjoyable, flew threw this.

The Little Stranger

The Book Thief= Markus Zusack

easy to read, more for teenagers and children though. Nicely laid out, easy to follow,

will be passing it on to my 11 year old when I am finished!

The life of Pi, by Yann Martel.

I LOVED this book, found it a bit slow at first and wasn't sure what to expect, but couldn't put it down towards the end.

I would definitely recommend this book!

Alone in Berlin Hans Fallada.

Good story, found it a bit slow to start. Loved the last few chapters, I like the dark side!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Quality wrote: »
    Alone in Berlin Hans Fallada.

Good story, found it a bit slow to start. Loved the last few chapters, I like the dark side!

Alone in Berlin had Frada :eek:

Ok, ok, but i glanced really quickly at it! :D

Where on earth do you find the time to read Mrs?

themadchef wrote: »
    Alone in Berlin had Frada :eek:

Ok, ok, but i glanced really quickly at it! :D

Where on earth do you find the time to read Mrs?

Its the only thing that winds me down at night time!(apart from a ride), Prefer a good book to the Telly anyways...:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Quality wrote: »
    Its the only thing that winds me down at night time!(apart from a ride), Prefer a good book to the Telly anyways...:D

Telly is shoite, though, saying that, Fringe is on at 10!! :D

Going to have to bring the brats to Dublin for their holidays on Monday, so that's up and down on the train in one day for me. I am looking forward to reading for the entire journey!

themadchef wrote: »
    Telly is shoite, though, saying that, Fringe is on at 10!! :D

Going to have to bring the brats to Dublin for their holidays on Monday, so that's up and down on the train in one day for me. I am looking forward to reading for the entire journey!

enjoy!, nothing beats a good book! x x

Room Emma donoghue

Loved it, very compelling, easy to follow

The other side of the bridge- Mary lawson

The best book I have read this year.
    Great story, well told, lovely and easy to read and a few tears along the way.

Loved it!

1984 George Orwell. A bit confusing at the end for me.

One day, David nicholls

A very enjoyable book. Nicely written love story by a man. Enjoyed the plot and look forward to the film which they will no doubt make a balls of. A few tears for me in this book.

Can't believe it's July since I posted here.

Have been through a good few since then.

Will start with the most recent.

The hunger games trilogy.

Really and truly very enjoyable. Love the story's the plot.

Found them very easy to read and flew through them over Xmas.

On oryx and crake by Atwood at the moment. I love her writing style, Unusual story but I really enjoy sci fiction, I have come to realise over the last few books I have read.

Lots more books I have read previous to these and last post will post some up when I get a chance!

The year of the flood, I found it better than oryx and crake, wonderful sequel.

Reading the magicians by Lev Grossman at present.

Advertisement