Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food allergies

Options
  • 07-09-2009 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi,

not sure if I'm posting this in the right section, but i'll give it a go. I just found out I have a dairy and wheat allergy and am a vegetarian. I'm not fully aware of what my alternatives are.I know some things i could eat, but I'd like some advice on cheap and tasty alternatives instead of potato pasta. I'm not considering cutting them out completely, but want to avoid them as much as possible without being too strict. Any advice people have would be deadly. Cheers!

Comments

Hi,

not sure if I'm posting this in the right section, but i'll give it a go. I just found out I have a dairy and wheat allergy and am a vegetarian. I'm not fully aware of what my alternatives are.I know some things i could eat, but I'd like some advice on cheap and tasty alternatives instead of potato pasta. I'm not considering cutting them out completely, but want to avoid them as much as possible without being too strict. Any advice people have would be deadly. Cheers!

Hi Comrade,

I'm suspicious that alot of food allergy stuff is waffle.

I was recently tested to see if I was a celiac. Apparently you can have no symptoms.
    If someone told me I had a wheat allergy, that is the first thing I do. Get a proper blood test.
    Because if you actually are, you don't want to wait until problems present.

Do you have symptoms? Or how did you find this out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Xandrius

I also had alergic reactions to wheat and dairy and alot of other stuff for a while and after alot of testing with doctors that not know **** I got a diagnose at a homophat and she told me that I had some problems with the stomach, she gave me some natural medicine and now after 6 years Im 95% well. I had to eat alot of wasa for a while instead of bread, it was quite annoying but you learn to deal with it. I also had to give up beer and only thing I could drink was vodka, I still get sick sometimes if I drink to much beer and not only because Im hangover :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TriceMarie

Xandrius wrote: »
    I also had alergic reactions to wheat and dairy and alot of other stuff for a while and after alot of testing with doctors that not know **** I got a diagnose at a homophat and she told me that I had some problems with the stomach, she gave me some natural medicine and now after 6 years Im 95% well. I had to eat alot of wasa for a while instead of bread, it was quite annoying but you learn to deal with it. I also had to give up beer and only thing I could drink was vodka, I still get sick sometimes if I drink to much beer and not only because Im hangover :)

Sounds like problems I have...how do you get tested?And does it cost much?

TriceMarie wrote: »
    Sounds like problems I have...how do you get tested?And does it cost much?

Dont know how it is in Ireland, but in norway where I come from it cost about 50 euro for a session with a homeophat and they ask alot of questions to find the problem. When that is done they order some medicine for you that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

you have indeed come to the right place comrade!

you can also buy corn pasta from Orgran :) all Orgran products are wheat free and available in some healthfood stores and some big tescos.

as for dairy free there are plenty of milk alteratives, as well as yoghurt, cream (single and whipped) and custard alternatives. Most of these are soya based and very easy to buy in Tescos. The cheese alternatives aren't so tastey, but the tofutti cream cheese is delicious.

If you have questions about specific products, ask away :)

Xandrius, I find I'm like you and feel ill if I go with any drinks other than vodka. It's nice and pure :) easy on the stomach.

TriceMarie, a homeopath is what Xandrius recommended. One certainly saved me a lot of issues when I was a child (the doctor was useless).

• Advertisement

Yeah the doctors dont know what all this is is my common impresion. I went to 10 doctors before going to the homeopath and they all had diffrent ideas of what was wrong with me. Everything from Anxiety to diabetes and heart problems, and they even gave me medications and treatments that made be more sick than I was before. So I will never go to a doctor again as long as it dont have to do with broken bones or something, most of the time when I break something they cant help me with that either since its a 95% chance it is my ribbs :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

You need to be very careful how you are tested for allergies, the electrical reisistance and muscle resistance tests etc.. are bullsh*t only a blood test can identify a proper allergy (ie a physiological defect in your immune system) without a doubt. Food intolerances are a lot more difficult to identify scientifically as there isn't a definable cause or change in immune state but you can usually firgure these out for yourself with a good food diary over a couple of weeks and by avoiding certains foods you're suspicious of and then reintroducing them and monitoring your symtoms.
    Theres a lot of chancers out there doing "allergy testing" using methods completely unbacked by science or even anecdotal evidence. It's a massive money maker as the majority people are under the impression they have allergies when in actual fact they're relatively rare and also don't understand exactly what an allergy is (compared to an intolerance)
    York test are based in Bray or somewhere in Wicklow 20euro you can have a blood test to determine if you have any allergies in the first place, then if you do you can go on and have the whole range of tests done on the same blood sample for hundreerds of foods for a few hundrer euro.
    I did one a few years ago because of my IBS, I didn't have any allergies but I knew myself to be intolerant to avacados, bananas and quinoa.

Advertisement