Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compensation for victims of IRA voilence

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

You have proof to back up those allegations I take it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

It's very easy to apportion blame on a state when terrorists disrupt the normal running of events.

It is when the state's security forces are involved with the said terrorism.
    I Dublin or Cork came under terrorist attack would we not expect the state to protect us?

We would, would our response be to shoot and maim innocent people?
    Seems to be very biased opinions around here I regret to say.

Yes, and all coming from your side.

You have proof to back up those allegations I take it??

What allegations?

dlofnep wrote: »
    Any other lies you'd like to share with us?

Those allegations.

Those allegations.

He stated that all innocent victims of the British army received compensation. They have not. It is not an allegation. It is a fact. Which makes his statement a lie. The dictionary classifies a lie as an untruthful statement. What he said was untrue. Are we ok here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

It's very easy to apportion blame on a state when terrorists disrupt the normal running of events.

I Dublin or Cork came under terrorist attack would we not expect the state to protect us?

What events are those that you speak of? Systematic treatment of Catholics as second class citizens? Gerrymandering? Catholic families literally burned out of their homes under watchful eye of the RUC? Or are all those more republican fabrications in your eyes?

Your Dublin/Cork analogy, if it could even be called that, is nothing short of laughable.
    Seems to be very biased opinions around here I regret to say

From whom? Which side? Care to show us some examples?

What events are those that you speak of? Systematic treatment of Catholics as second class citizens? Gerrymandering? Catholic families literally burned out of their homes under watchful eye of the RUC? Or are all those more republican fabrications in your eyes?

Your Dublin/Cork analogy, if it could even be called that, is nothing short of laughable.

From whom? Which side? Care to show us some examples?

Certainly not those events, I fully agree that wrongs were done, fully agree.

Why is the Dublin/Cork analogy laughable?

Too close to the bone is it??

To get back on topic, the people who carried out despicable acts of violence should be tried in a court of law and proper justice meted out.

There is no use saying that this person or that person is getting away with crime.

Anyone found guilty as charged should be punished.

To get back on topic, the people who carried out despicable acts of violence should be tried in a court of law and proper justice meted out.

So you're for the imprisonment of all British troops who killed innocent civilians in Ireland?

So you're for the imprisonment of all British troops who killed innocent civilians in Ireland?

You're at it again.!!!!

Can you not read???

I'm for punishing anyone tried and found guilty of crime.

I'm for punishing anyone tried and found guilty of crime.

So you would have punished the Guildford four?

I'm afraid, faith in the British law system is not one of my strong points. British soldiers killed 14 civilians in Derry and 11 more in Ballymurphy, and nearly 40 years on, there is still nobody brought to justice for it.

Can you see the problem here?

• Advertisement

Why is the Dublin/Cork analogy laughable?

Too close to the bone is it??

Not at all. What terrorist groups do you expect Dublin/Cork to come under attack from?

The Polish Disgruntled Unemployed Builders' Volunteer Force?

The Culchie Defence Association?

Or a Dublin-Cork Civil War to sort out the superiority complexes once and for all?

That is why I laugh.

So you would have punished the Guildford four?

I'm afraid, faith in the British law system is not one of my strong points. British soldiers killed 14 civilians in Derry and 11 more in Ballymurphy, and nearly 40 years on, there is still nobody brought to justice for it.

Can you see the problem here?

Sure I can, there is no proof that can stand up in a court of law.

Sure I can, there is no proof that can stand up in a court of law.

Good man.

On a personal level - If you feel you know enough about the events of Bloody Sunday & Ballymurphy, Do you feel that the British army was responsible for the killing of innocent civilians - or do you feel that all the killings were warranted?

Good man.

On a personal level - If you feel you know enough about the events of Bloody Sunday & Ballymurphy, Do you feel that the British army was responsible for the killing of innocent civilians - or do you feel that all the killings were warranted?

I wasn't there buddy, so I can only go on what the forces of law and order tell me.

Just like I wasn't there when Robert McCartney was killed, I can only go on what the forces of law and order tell me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Buffy the bitch

I wasn't there buddy, so I can only go on what the forces of law and order tell me.

And that's where the problem is. You can be sure if you were living there you wouldn't have that opinion. Great how you live in a free republic.

Do you believe everything the "forces of law" tell you?

I believe that there are two sides to every story.

I asked you for your opinion. But since you're willing to accept the British version of the story, I guess that says all that's needed to be said.

Perhaps when you talk to members of the family, and people who were there on the day - you'll get a more realistic account of what happened. Although, why would you - when you're ready to believe the accounts of the British army.

Just like I wasn't there when Robert McCartney was killed, I can only go on what the forces of law and order tell me.

So you are not willing to question the decisions made by these forces? Not even one bit? Irregardless of the issue that's at hand (sectarian or otherwise). So no need for historical or political interpretation or revisionism then - just believe in whatever the cops and law of court decide to do, and accept those decisons as trustworthy in all cases? Wow, honestly I'm not having a go here, but I don't know how you could live your life like that.

Sure there is, but you've already stated, you can only go on what the security forces tell you. So there is obviously only one side of the story you're willing to listen to.

I can't fathom why some people are unwilling to accept that the events of Ballymurphy and Bogside were dark moments in the history of the troubles, where the British forces went beyond the neccessary force required, and killed dozens of innocent people.

No son, read it again, forces of law and order.

Police, judiciary, politicians etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

You appear to be avoiding the questions asked of you.

However, I think the second quote demonstrates a worrying gullibility. Conspiracy theories and all that aside, are you not sceptical of things, or do you blindly accept and swallow what is fed to you? You don't have to answer if you don't want to. There are as you say, two sides to every story. At least you admit that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Flutter wrote:
    Just like I wasn't there when Robert McCartney was killed

I find it strange that you are concerned about a SF supporter.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Robert_McCartney

Flutter, you should watch the film V for Vengeance on how a populace can be manipulated into believing things.

Heck, we even have Sky and Fox news to supply us with the 'official news' :)

Countless unarmed kids have been murdered by the British Army/RUC in the north, mostly from the 70s and 80s, not a dime was compensated for their deaths.:mad:

gurramok wrote: »
    I find it strange that you are concerned about a SF supporter.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Robert_McCartney

Flutter, you should watch the film V for Vengeance on how a populace can be manipulated into believing things.

Heck, we even have Sky and Fox news to supply us with the 'official news' :)

Countless unarmed kids have been murdered by the British Army/RUC in the north, mostly from the 70s and 80s, not a dime was compensated for their deaths.:mad:

Boys, sorry, but I don't seem to be the one manipulated into believing things;)

Boys, sorry, but I don't seem to be the one manipulated into believing things;)

Well - apparently, you do be. Because you're willing to overlook the compelling evidence that damns the British soldiers for their part in Bloody Sunday & Ballymurphy.

We have put forth reasonable overviews on the events; You haven't. The only person who appears to be manipulated here is you I'm afraid. But if we really have to go down that whole road of attacking people's character because you've run out of any actual debate with substance, go for it - but I'm not going to bother entertaining it.

I'm being consistent, being fair to both sides, when the forces of law and order try and convict,then compensation should be paid.

Not on opinions however well meaning or idealistic.

Can't figure out that attacking people's character insert.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I'm being consistent, being fair to both sides, when the forces of law and order try and convict,then compensation should be paid.

What if the "forces of law and order" are the perpetrator?!? Hardly seem like they can be trusted to pass judgement on themselves. Sure, no one believe's say Robert Mugabe when he says he isn't is not up to no good, and he would be his countries "forces of law and order".

being fair to both sides

I'm sorry but no, you're not. You've already stated that you accept the findings of the British army, which are laughably invalid.

Surely you are not naive enough to compare a corrupt third world country to a first world world European country.

You people really astound me.

You really do.

I'm sorry but no, you're not. You've already stated that you accept the findings of the British army, which are laughably invalid.

You are deliberately skewing my replies, "Forces of law and order"

No point in debating this any further with you guys-sorry.

• Advertisement

You are deliberately skewing my replies, "Forces of law and order"

Who are these forces of law and order so that you speak of? And who do you think gave evidence if it wasn't the British army, the Easter Bunny?
    No point in debating this any further with you guys-sorry.

Anything to do with the fact that you are being squashed in this debate by any chance? No worries.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement