Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latency on Modern Controllers

Options
  • 07-09-2009 10:01am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭

An interesting research conducted has shown the latency that is present in Xbox 360 and PS3 games.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-lag-factor-article

It seems, not taking various models of LCD's into account, the minimum lag shown from controller input to action on screen is 67ms. Quite high by my standards. An interesting read. I suppose those console gamers can continue to use 'my game is laggy!' excuse :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

It seems, not taking various models of LCD's into account, the minimum lag shown from controller input to action on screen is 67ms.

Yeah we where just talking about this at the last SFIV meet. Playing SFIV on a console after playing it on a PC, or even switching between consoles, does appear to have a noticeable latency. I was whiffing the timing on some basic BnB combos at the casuals that I pull off 100% of the time on the PC (whether they land of get blocked is another thing :o)

On top of this there is the lag of going through the up-converter on the TV set itself, compared to zero lag connecting via DVI to an LCD panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Toodles thinks you're talking BS.

L31mr0d, do you still play on CRT?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    L31mr0d, do you still play on CRT?

No... I'm talking about this thread on HDTV lag. The issue with my particular setup is that my PS3 first connects into my AMP via HDMI to separate out the audio track, but the video output is also post-processed (I can't disable this), then, via HDMI, it is sent to my Plasma where it is post-processed again and also interlaced (it's 1080i)

There is no way for me to disable any of this post-processing (although some Plasmas and LCD have the option to disable scaling) which is why I jumped on the PC version of SFIV as soon as it was released.

Advertisement