Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marty Morrisseys post-match interview with Brian Cody

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭akaredtop

Marty had to stay impartial. He was putting a reasonable question to the manager of the winning team.But Cody's mind was'nt big enough. He is used to ass-kissers around him all the time and got a shock that someone would question some decision in Kilkenny's favour. Marty came out well of the interview. He showed class and dignity. Unlike Cody who behaved like a Knacker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Agreed - Marty came out of the interview well, unlike Cody. It was a legitimate question and Cody knew the answer to it, i.e. Yea, the refs decision to award a penalty completely changed the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

how many bitter Clare men can RTE hire with the aim of being controversial? ;)

Loughnane is the best panelist by far. When he speaks, everyone listens.

Compared to:

"Thats all wrong, right."

"You know what I mean, right."

"It was a foul right, right."

This is all you hear from the 2 Cork panelists - O'Grady and whatever his face is. Every sentence ends in right. Up the Banner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

wonder what cody would have said if tipp got that penalty and went on to win?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Dubfan88

i thought it made for great t.v but at the end of the day I was glad kilkenny made history

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

the reaction of people here is laughable. how was marty put back in box i wonder? cody over reacted and took things too serious....gone down in my estimation. he has just won 4 all irelands in a row and hes resorted to having a pop at a man whos 4ft nothing and never did any harm to him. he is only asking a simple question that the entire country were also talking about at the same time. the ref had a bad game and had a massive influence, its only natural that it should pop up in discussion.
    Spot on. He clearly took offence to the fact that someone might question the supreme force that is Kilkenny. I'd hazard a bet that he lost the support of many neutrals for such a thuggish approach to a simple question.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭PunkFreud

I didn't feel he said much wrong. I thought Cody took it the wrong way and wasn't impressed. The panel and the commentary staff were saying the same things so I don't see why poor Marty got such a bad time.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

Marty (by the way has he had Botox done, eyes look odd) should have had the grace to drop it.
    Fair play to Cody, like he said himself Marty kept on about the ref if Marty had an issue with the decisions he should grow a pair and say what he thinks. Im with Cody that maybe Marty should go home and check all the decisions.

In fairness it wasn't Marty who kept bringing it back up, it was Cody. Cody was the one who wouldn't let it.

At the end of the day I think Brian Cody has let himself down and I myself will never have the same level of respect I once had for him. With all his years of experience he should have known better. He came across as sour.

Anyone interested in a Marty Fan Club? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭akaredtop

If Cody is such a bad winner could you imagine what he would be like if Kilkenny had lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Cody is a bully and has been for years. Remember him abusing the ref at half time against Galway in Thurles a few years back? He was out of order yesterday, and I am not a Marty fan by any means. Really felt for Tipp, they were done for the penalty and it did change the game. Cody should have acknowledged their good fortune instead of bleating on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭super_metroid

marty should of decked the blaggard

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

buck65 wrote: »
    Cody is a bully and has been for years. Remember him abusing the ref at half time against Galway in Thurles a few years back? He was out of order yesterday, and I am not a Marty fan by any means. Really felt for Tipp, they were done for the penalty and it did change the game. Cody should have acknowledged their good fortune instead of bleating on.
    My sentiments exactly. It's hardly surprising to see contributors from Kilkenny supporting Brian Cody's but like another contributor said, Cody lost the respect of many neutral supporters after what can only be described as absolutely disgraceful behaviour.
    The man is a bully. He has achieved much but his reputation has been severely tarnished. Everybody I have heard talking about it was cringing with embarrassment by the way he behaved and felt nothing but pity for Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

buck65 wrote: »
    My sentiments exactly. It's hardly surprising to see contributors from Kilkenny supporting Brian Cody's but like another contributor said, Cody lost the respect of many neutral supporters after what can only be described as absolutely disgraceful behaviour.
    The man is a bully. He has achieved much but his reputation has been severely tarnished. Everybody I have heard talking about it was cringing with embarrassment by the way he behaved and felt nothing but pity for Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Marty wouldn't let the referee issue drop even when it was clear Coady didn't want to talk about it, as he normally doesn't. This is the kind of thing Marty was hoping for. A bit of controversy.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Kahless wrote: »
    Marty wouldn't let the referee issue drop even when it was clear Coady didn't want to talk about it, as he normally doesn't. This is the kind of thing Marty was hoping for. A bit of controversy.
    Codys the one who wouldnt leave it drop.Marty went to change the subject before Cody interrupted him to keep going

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭El Vino

unichick wrote: »
    Marty was right to ask the question and it obviously hit a nerve with Coady. The ref was in their pocket. Roll on 2010.

I'm a Tipp fan and hugely disappointed with the result and the penelty, I still think if you look at the free count overall Tipp had many more frees than Kilkenny. I think this is what BC was refering to, well done to the Cats on your four in a row. Tipp have a lot to be proud of compared to the last 2 finalists against Kilkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Scootay

Fair play to Cody. What was Marty at trying to cast a shadow over a historic win following a game that had everything.

As a neutral I would have been happy for either side to win it but am glad Kilkenny did in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭autograph

Fair play to Cody, like he said himself Marty kept on about the ref if Marty had an issue with the decisions he should grow a pair and say what he thinks. Im with Cody that maybe Marty should go home and check all the decisions.
    Do I detect an element of bias in this comment? Natural, I suppose in that the poster is from, guess where? Yes, you've guessed it - Kilkenny.
    I am another neutral supporter and to be fair, Brian Cody has had many fine days. Yesterday was another one, because of the achievement of a four in a row, albeit one that came about following a highly controversial penalty decision by the ref. The way he conducted himself and the way he bullied Marty Morrissey, was not his finest hour. It was AWFUL.
    I wish the Kilkenny supporters a great night of celebrations tonight but please don't try to defend the indefensible conduct of Cody in that interview. There was no excuse for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

Codys the one who wouldnt leave it drop.Marty went to change the subject before Cody interrupted him to keep going

Exactly, I don't understand why people keep saying Marty was the one who wouldn't let it drop!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

From what I can remember Cody was clear from the start that he wasn't commenting and touched off it. Marty was the one that persisted. I think the only way to know id to watch it again, but even so im sure it can be interputed either way... Still think Cody made it clear for the past few years he wasn't going to argue with ref

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

joey54 wrote: »
    Exactly, I don't understand why people keep saying Marty was the one who wouldn't let it drop!

Kilkenny supporters are going to say it one way or the other. He can do no wrong down there, even when he is totally in the wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

deise_girl wrote: »
    From what I can remember Cody was clear from the start that he wasn't commenting and touched off it. Marty was the one that persisted. I think the only way to know id to watch it again, but even so im sure it can be interputed either way... Still think Cody made it clear for the past few years he wasn't going to argue with ref

The first post on this thread has the youtube link to the interview (click here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWgp-vSs7zI). Also the RTE website is still carrying it. Its worth watching again.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭super_metroid

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭actua11

In fairness, the cats had just completed one of the greatest achievements in the game ever (4 in a row). To be on such a high and to be wanting to celebrate the great achievement and to have Marty bringing Cody down to earth by being trivial about a ref's decisions is out of order. Different time, different place fine, but not croker just after winning 4 in a row

btw I'm a big Marty fan ands thought it was never a penalty, ref otherwise good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 sammy77

People are saying it was a question for a different place and a different time, but when else was Marty going to bring it up with Cody? Last night at Citywest?? In my opinion it was a question worth asking and it was Cody who decided to continue the matter and make it sound bitter, not Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

I think the big mistake was Cody asking Marty the question and Marty Morrissey stating it looked "dodgy".Marty should have kept his composure and elected not to give his opinion.Cody understandably would feel under pressure to answer the question on the penalty and this made him nervous.It was all a matter of consequence.His reaction and body language gives the impression he thought it wasn't a penalty.

Mod hat on.I don't want to read any more posts calling Cody a thug or accusing him of thuggish behaviour.Anybody that uses the word scum or thug in refeence to Cody or Morrissey will be baned.It is in the charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

blackbelt wrote: »
    I think the big mistake was Cody asking Marty the question and Marty Morrissey stating it looked "dodgy".Marty should have kept his composure and elected not to give his opinion.Cody understandably would feel under pressure to answer the question on the penalty and this made him nervous.It was all a matter of consequence.His reaction and body language gives the impression he thought it wasn't a penalty.

Mod hat on.I don't want to read any more posts calling Cody a thug or accusing him of thuggish behaviour.Anybody that uses the word scum or thug in refeence to Cody or Morrissey will be baned.It is in the charter.

In fairness to Marty that was the fastest back-tracking I have seen in Croke Park since Paddy Cullen for the Mickey Sheehy free-kick;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

lol:D^

I was at the match yesterday and I can empathise with Cody completely. Tipp were awarded free after free after free for nothing more than hard hitting. I think Cody saw the awarding of the penalty (whether correct or incorrect) as justice being done.

Tomthepost wrote: »
    In fairness to Marty that was the fastest back-tracking I have seen in Croke Park since Paddy Cullen for the Mickey Sheehy free-kick;)

The free kick which wasn't.;);)

Don't think Marty expected Cody to react like that.These sort of questions you see on the premiership seem harmless and managers go off and attack/side with the referee,they never attack the interviewer.Marty wasn't ready for that one and I don't think any viewers were either but I hope RTE have learned from this and instruct their interviewers not to voice their opinions.

I think there is something there that the RTE has imbedded in their agenda.Game goes smoothly they will praise the ref but when things go wrong the ref will be buried.As a ref myself,I wouldn't like to be the topic of scrutiny on national tv if I were to referee a tough,dirty game of football.Paddy Russell went through a horrid time in the mid 90s and it took him years to get over the 95 final.

• Advertisement

K4t wrote: »
    lol:D^

I was at the match yesterday and I can empathise with Cody completely. Tipp were awarded free after free after free for nothing more than hard hitting. I think Cody saw the awarding of the penalty (whether correct or incorrect) as justice being done.

I wouldn't go that far but I think he sent out the message that the referee did his best and he shouldn't be scrutinised.He never alluded to Tipperary free kicks specifically,he mentioned all the decisions and I can only give him the benefit of the doubt that he would have done the same even if KK lost.

Advertisement