Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marty Morrisseys post-match interview with Brian Cody

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

LMAO @ the wiki page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭akaredtop

It does'nt matter how many championships he has won. Winning one title with class and style is worth 100 of cody's titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

akaredtop wrote: »
    It does'nt matter how many championships he has won. Winning one title with class and style is worth 100 of cody's titles.

Yes, keep telling yourself that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Sherifu wrote: »
    LMAO @ the wiki page.
    Marty went out and blew about €500,000.00 on a horse that finished last in a race at Gowran Park, Co. Kilkenny

How wonderfully apt!

Makes me wonder what county the perpetrator was from!:D

Cant wait till after next years Leinster Final, maybe RTE will put Joanne Cantwell on that one!:)

EDIT: A Riposte, well kind of

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Cody
    2009: Marty Morrissey
    Cody was made a fool of by Marty during the post match interview after winning the all ireland hurling championship. Many feel Brian Coady let himself down badly in the interview and that Marty OWNED him.
    Most Kilkenny people and supporters would disagree stronly with this and felt that Brian was more than justified in reacting to outrageous questioning by Morrissey minutes after the achievement of the greatest ever success in modern hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

It's simple really. Cody felt he could bully Mart Morrissey because of the size difference and because he believes some of the hype written about himself over the years. Michael Lyster should have backed up Marty after the interview rather than laughing at it. Bullys are cowards when you stand up to them and I am sure Cody is just the same.

I second that. I think that Michael Lyster and co, like Marty Morrissey, were all in shock by what they had witnessed. Cody's bullying rant was outrageous. Lyster and co didn't really know what to say or do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I see RTE have sent Marty out to Milan for the world boxing championships.

He stood up better to Kenny Egan than he did to Cody on the interview front so he must have learned how to defend himself since Sunday:D

chinguetti wrote: »
    I see RTE have sent Marty out to Milan for the world boxing championships.

He stood up better to Kenny Egan than he did to Cody on the interview front so he must have learned how to defend himself since Sunday:D

Oh Kenny's mother is a Kilkenny woman, he better watch himself again ;)

mfitzy wrote: »
    What are you on? As if Marty bloody Morrisey costs Brian Cody a thought :D:D. FFS get a grip would ya. He is irrelevant to yet another of Cody's long list championship wins.
    What was Michael Lyster supposed to say; "that Brian Cody is a bold lad for scorning our precious Marty isn't he?" :D:D:D

Well done again to Kilkenny but the more I read of your posts the more glaringly obvious it's becoming that you are looking at everything through rose coloured spectacles. Objectivity and seeing things outside the box is just not happening for you. It's a bit of a joke at this stage. You are not doing Kilkenny people any favours. As I said before, go and enjoy your celebrations but just cut out this ridiculous ranting.

Arrogance becomes nobody.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

get off your high horse! how do you know if coady did not appologise? christ man up . class? what? brian coady was a great player and an excellent manager.have people got soft in the head or what. i doubt marty will have lost sleep over it. no one was killed. what would your reaction be after being brought down from a high? how come many would appauled alex ferguson ( a professional) if he did (and has done) something like this?what kilkenny have done in the past number of years is nothing but class and skill - it has brian coady's fingerprints all over.it was simply a case of being out of character. it was a high pressure day - ya would swear he is a machine. - he has being listening to critics have being spouting that the team has the "edge" all year round implying his team are nothing but dirty muck savages - all year round. wonder if they were from the north h(Tyrone and Derry) would the critics be more direct?

thats my opinion, and you have yours. at the end of the day, the inscription on the liam mccarthy cup of kilkenny 2006,2007,2008,2009 and peoples memories of brian coady in years to come will say different.

• Advertisement

Zonda999 wrote: »
    How wonderfully apt!

Makes me wonder what county the perpetrator was from!:D

Cant wait till after next years Leinster Final, maybe RTE will put Joanne Cantwell on that one!:)

EDIT: A Riposte, well kind of

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Cody

Christ almighty that (Marty's wiki page) has to be the funniest thing I've read in ages! "Slept with Twink, Shirley Temple bar and Anne Doyle". Classic stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭patmac

Love some of the comments under the clip:
    'what a contrary **** with a boring bolloxs of a furnace face'
    Now,now Marty!

carls_hurlin.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Im not a huge Marty Morrissey fan but Cody was a joke.

He said early in the interview he didnt want to start naming players individually, THEN he started on about Tommy Walsh and Shefflin.

Marty had to ask about the pen, as it was the changing point in the game. All Cody had to say was he didnt see it, or it was 50/50 some you get some you dont, something like that. However he goes on a rant....he wasnt complaining when he was answering questions about the four in a row!!!

Kilkenny won and fair play to them but Cody was out of order with Marty.

(not from Tipp btw)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 NITFBY

Good old Marty, always good for putting his foot in it

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭JamieK

at the end of the day, the inscription on the liam mccarthy cup of kilkenny 2005,2006,2007,2008,2009

They'd want to get that changed then if that's inscribed on it! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭dungeon

Im not a huge Marty Morrissey fan but Cody was a joke.

He said early in the interview he didnt want to start naming players individually, THEN he started on about Tommy Walsh and Shefflin.

Marty had to ask about the pen, as it was the changing point in the game. All Cody had to say was he didnt see it, or it was 50/50 some you get some you dont, something like that. However he goes on a rant....he wasnt complaining when he was answering questions about the four in a row!!!

Kilkenny won and fair play to them but Cody was out of order with Marty.

(not from Tipp btw)

You're not the first to say this. There was no need at all for Cody to go on the offensive - he could have handled it so differently but unfortunately he just went too far. It's just a pity he couldn't have admitted that but has left this time go by without even trying to undo the damage he did.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Marty is an interviewer and his job is to ask questions. After any match he asks questions based on the main talking points i.e. controversial decisions, always has done, that is his job afterall. If he didn't ask those questions would there be any point in post match interviews? 3 mins into the interview, Cody was clearly getting pi**ed off and Marty tried to ask a different question but Cody interrupted him and went on with a bit of a rant. As an experienced manager I would not have expected that of him. He went down in my estimation. When he looks back at the Youtube video I honestly think he won't be too happy with his outburst, at least I would hope so.

Here's another one. Perhaps if Cody read the posts of the people who are neither from Kilkenny nor Tipperary, then he would be able to gauge the true reaction to his outburst which was uncalled for.

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Actually think Coady came out very badly from that. He was the one tha kept bringing up the issue again and agian.

Good TV though :D Nice to see Marty get a hard time even if he didn't really deserve on this occasion.

Another one.

Johnnyjump wrote: »
    Well done to Kilkenny, commiserations to Tipperary (who deserved better). At the end of the day, Kilkenny had that extra bit of luck, Tipperary didn't. Nevertheless, a wonderful achievement by Kilkenny.
    What has left many people turned off, however, is Brian Coady's appalling behaviour when being interviewed by Marty Morrissey. He is normally very diplomatic, in the cutest possible way, being sure to play up the opposition, even when the opposition is (or was) clearly inferior to Kilkenny. There have been times when it was diplomatic that it just didn't seem sincere.
    Yesterday, Brian Coady was extremely ungracious, to say the least. This feeling is widespread and all those who heard the interview with whom I have spoken were simply appalled. Perhaps yesterday, in view of the fact that Kilkenny were fortunate to beat Tipperary, was a time to have been gracious and sincere.
    Perhaps another interviewer would not have left him away with the arrogance and aggression he displayed but I would say Marty Morrissey was in shock.
    Most neutral supporters would understandably be for the underdog. I think Brian Coady did neither himself nor Kilkenny any favours by the way in which he behaved. His achievements and those of Kilkenny should be acknowledged but I was disappointed by the behaviour. It was unnecessary, ungracious and distasteful. On hearing the interview replayed this morning, it sounded even worse.
    He is a man who deserves praise but yesterday's post match performance was certainly NOT one of his finest moments.

Here's another one, presumably from a non Kilkenny/Tipperary contributor.

I wouldnt say he continued bleating on about it.
    Marty asked for his opinion on the penalty, Cody went defensive and told him to look at every other decision.
    Marty then asked his opinion on the ref letting the game flow and Cody went on the defensive again and started accusing Marty of having a problem with the ref.Marty said he didnt and attempted to change the subject but was interrupted by Cody who was still going on about it.

Again, this is how I saw it. I could go on and on with further examples but I hope Brian Cody, in the clear light of day might read some of these posts and realise that, while he has done much to be proud of, this interview was certainly not one of his finest moments as he lost the respect of a hell of a lot of people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭DublinDes

Marty's a disaster, but sure he can't help it, he's a Clare man !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Cody acted like a spoiled child who threw all his toys out of his cot when somebody said something he didn't like. I have always admired the man but honestly, there was no need for his display on Sunday. He didn't do himself any favours. I can understand why Kilkenny fans would come on here and try to defend him. He's a great manager. Like the others, I am not associated in any way with Tipperary. Criticism of Cody's behaviour has nothing to do with that. It's sad to see some Kilkenny fans desperately and mistakenly clutching at straws and claiming that anybody who in any way criticises anything about Cody or Kilkenny, is automatically pro-Tipperary. Not the case. Cody was wrong on this occasion - End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Alfie Boon

overmantle wrote: »
    Cody acted like a spoiled child who threw all his toys out of his cot when somebody said something he didn't like. I have always admired the man but honestly, there was no need for his display on Sunday. He didn't do himself any favours. I can understand why Kilkenny fans would come on here and try to defend him. He's a great manager. Like the others, I am not associated in any way with Tipperary. Criticism of Cody's behaviour has nothing to do with that. It's sad to see some Kilkenny fans desperately and mistakenly clutching at straws and claiming that anybody who in any way criticises anything about Cody or Kilkenny, is automatically pro-Tipperary. Not the case. Cody was wrong on this occasion - End of.
    I dont think so.MM tried a bit of needle and got it back 10 fold.Proper order.
    Anyway,When Cody is enjoying the proceeds of his fortcoming book in the not too distant future,Im sure he will not be bothered with the opinions of an odd few keyboard warriors/jealous bitter nobodies that post on discussion forums,just so to get a bit of attention.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I can understand why people were less than impressed with Brian's comments and I can see that he didn't come across very well in the eyes of a lot of people no matter where they are from.
    However I can also understand where Brian is coming from. I think he was probably very upset at some of the coverage of Kilkenny this year particularly on the Sunday game and RTE in general. He and the team had just achieved the greatest feat in hurling history and he didn't want to have to to spend the interview talking about referring decisions as they tend to go both ways but only the ones where Kilkenny benefited were likely to be brought up. He could have found a better way of saying it though. I felt bad for Marty Morrissey who always comes across as a genuine gaa man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Mollthedoll

Good man Marty, very relevant question..
    Cody let himself down by hes reaction, lost a lot of respect for the man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

"so tiger you have just beaten Nicklaus record of major hauls but its said that you do a bit of cursing and unsportsmanlike conduct"

"Alex Ferguson you have just beaten Liverpools record but there was a penalty incident and im going to ask about the ref again and again before any mention of your achievement."

How do you think anyone on Cody's position would have reacted.He just managed a team to an incredible feat and the first thing thrown at him is about a ref decision.He never talks about refs and in his crowning moment he is asked about the ref.

Im a kildare fan so i can be accused of bias but the comments here are ridiculous,Its not like he said he was a holocaust denier or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

raven136 wrote: »
    "so tiger you have just beaten Nicklaus record of major hauls but its said that you do a bit of cursing and unsportsmanlike conduct"

"Alex Ferguson you have just beaten Liverpools record but there was a penalty incident and im going to ask about the ref again and again before any mention of your achievement."

How do you think anyone on Cody's position would have reacted.He just managed a team to an incredible feat and the first thing thrown at him is about a ref decision.He never talks about refs and in his crowning moment he is asked about the ref.

Im a kildare fan so i can be accused of bias but the comments here are ridiculous,Its not like he said he was a holocaust denier or anything.
    No it was the 3rd/4th thing he was asked after the 4 in a row and the teams performance.Watch it again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Alfie Boon wrote: »
    I dont think so.MM tried a bit of needle and got it back 10 fold.Proper order.
    Anyway,When Cody is enjoying the proceeds of his fortcoming book in the not too distant future,Im sure he will not be bothered with the opinions of an odd few keyboard warriors/jealous bitter nobodies that post on discussion forums,just so to get a bit of attention.

What was Marty supposed to do? He asked very valid questions about the four in a row and the turning points of the game. If intervierers were not to ask these questions then whats the point in post match interviews!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Good man Marty, very relevant question..
    Cody let himself down by hes reaction, lost a lot of respect for the man

I'd say he is losing lots of sleep as a result! :rolleyes:
    He's' the most successful manager hurling has ever seen, that's what he will be remembered for, well that's what the hurling community will remember him for anyway, I don't really care what others feel, and I'm sure he's the same.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

JamieK wrote: »
    They'd want to get that changed then if that's inscribed on it! ;)

sweet jesus, i should go back to seasme street and learn to count. my bad. must have got carried away

Advertisement