Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

not able to get baby to take bottle -weaning

Options
  • 07-09-2009 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭

Hi

we have 7 month old that we are trying to wean to a bottle (along with mushy food- she is currently breast fed). she refuses point blank to drink either from a bottle or a cup, but will take pureed food from a spoon. We tried to get her to take some milk/water from the spoon, but have only had minimal success.

Has anybody got any ideas/suggestions on how we can get her to take a bottle?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

Some babies just hate bottles. I was apparently one of those - would just through a damn thing away when I could :)

Maybe just keep trying with the spoon?

--

also are you giving breast milk in a bottle or formula? Maybe it's just too big of a step

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

I feel your pain- been there! Had the same problem with my first when she was around that age and I wanted to start giving her expressed milk. Eventually she would take it from a special bottle that I ordered from Medicare- have a look at the link:

http://www.medicare.ie/Product/ProductInfo.aspx?id=41&cid=49

I know it says it is for special needs children, but the idea is that even a weak suck will give milk plus it is a special teat so that they don't swallow air. HTH.

PS it is a very fiddely and annoying bottle to put together, be warned! But it works, so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Oh that brings back memories :(

Just keep at it and make sure the contents of the bottle are as close to body temp as possible, that helped with my first two children. The teats have a completely different flow and that takes some adjusting on the babys' part. Try a few different size teats and try a few different types of bottles also, there will be one that s/he finds more comfortable.

With my first child we had to try the "keep going and don't offer them the breast they will take from the bottle when hungry enough" but I used to end up crumbling and offering him the breast. Its hard to hold out if they won't take anything tbh and I wasn't really able to do that. Overall this was a very stressful method for all of us, so expect this to be upsetting.

Keep trying, thats all you can do, it will work at some point.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If she's eating some semi-solid food, why not just give her that in addition to breast milk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

My youngest was the same. I tried different bottles/ teats/ different people trying etc and nothing worked. I'd tried on and off from when he was 3 months and ended up just getitng frustrated and feeling guilty so I just gave up for a while. Then at about 7.5 months i decided to try again..., he was busy watching his dad and sister playing and I just kept him sitting on my knee but turned away from me and tried him with the bottle and he downed the lot! The distraction factor made the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

If she's eating some semi-solid food, why not just give her that in addition to breast milk?

shes due to go to creche soon and we need to have her drinking from a bottle for that. Also she wouldnt eat a full feed of semi-solid food.

ebmma

we are trying breast milk in the bottle too...but she just has no interest.

Advertisement