Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ken Doherty has winning start in Shanghai

• 07-09-2009 10:48am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭

Ken's excellent early season form has seen him win his pre lim round in the Shanghai masters. He beat a very promising up and coming indian player 5-0 and now sees him in the first round proper where he will play Neil Robertson tomorrow night.
    As i mentioned in an earlier thread Ken seems to be playing very well and all the practice he put in during the summer is beginning to pay off.
    Next game is a tough match against last years worlds c'ship semi finalist but already Ken has gained some all important ranking points in his bid to climb back into the worlds 32 and hopefully top 16.
    Eurosport are covering the tournament live hopefully Kens game might be shown.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

zack01 wrote: »
    Ken's excellent early season form has seen him win his pre lim round in the Shanghai masters. He beat a very promising up and coming indian player 5-0 and now sees him in the first round proper where he will play Neil Robertson tomorrow night.
    As i mentioned in an earlier thread Ken seems to be playing very well and all the practice he put in during the summer is beginning to pay off.
    Next game is a tough match against last years worlds c'ship semi finalist but already Ken has gained some all important ranking points in his bid to climb back into the worlds 32 and hopefully top 16.
    Eurosport are covering the tournament live hopefully Kens game might be shown.
    Thats great news. We all know Ken has the talent to be in the top 16 and I'm glad to hear he has put in the hard work this summer, hopefully it will pay off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Dubfan88

We will really see where he is form wise now come his next game against Neil Robertson i think he's in with a great shout against a Robertson who is coming in quite cold

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Well done to Ken, little runs like this stack up the ranking points, especially when those around you haven't made it. He is guaranteed 1960 points even if he loses today and at least 2660 if he gets through.
    Dubfan88 wrote: »
    We will really see where he is form wise now come his next game against Neil Robertson i think he's in with a great shout against a Robertson who is coming in quite cold

I wouldn't be too sure about that, Neil played in the premier league last thursday night on Sky Sports (only 6 frames mind) and he looked in great form. It will be a huge test for Ken.

BTW Doherty vs Robertson starts at 1pm Irish Time but it won't be live on TV, John Higgins's match is the live game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thedini

currently 2-2, he was 2-0 down.

Robertson went into a 2-0 lead, but as I type it's just gone - Robertson 2-2 Doherty

Elsewhere:
    Higgins 2-2 Selt
    Ebdon 1-4 Liang
    Selby 2-4 Bingham

• Advertisement

WooHoo, An 85 break in the 7th frame, Ken's just one away now @ 4-3. Fingers crossed :)

Elsewhere: Higgins is through, Selby is out

Higgins 5-2 Selt
    Ebdon 1-5 Liang
    Selby 3-5 Bingham

HE's done it!!!

It finished 5-4 and he plays the winner of Stephen Maguire or Barry Hawkins on thursday morning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

What a great result, and believe me Ken will really fancy his chances against Maguire or Hawkins, i'm heading down to the CrossGuns tonight no doubt the owner will be in great form after this result, he's talking about going back on the road again with Ken this season,he used to travel all over the world with him once.
    Does anybody know if the match on thurs will be the live game on eurosport?

zack01 wrote: »
    Does anybody know if the match on thurs will be the live game on eurosport?

I really doubt it tbh, at the same time as the Doherty game on thursday these are on too & there's only two tables with cameras:
    • Higgins vs Williams/Swail (Deffo on a TV table)
    • Bingham vs Ding/Lee (If Ding beats Lee this will be on TV for obvious reasons)
    • Murphy/Holt vs Perry/Cope (Doubtful)

Yes they will certainly have Higgins on the main table and of course Ding is a certainty to be televised as well, pity we may just have to wait until the quarter finals to see Ken in action!!!:)

• Advertisement

Potentially really good news for Ken (Although not for Stephen Maguire)....

From worldsnooker.com:
    Injured Maguire Withdraws

Stephen Maguire has pulled out of the Roewe Shanghai Masters because of a shoulder injury.
    The world No 2 was due to face Barry Hawkins at the Grand Stage tonight (Wednesday), but his withdrawal allows Hawkins a bye to round two.

Maguire slipped in the shower at his Glasgow home last week, but travelled to China believing he would be fit enough to compete in the season's first world ranking event.

However, despite treatment from the Chinese football team's doctor as well as acupuncture, Maguire made the decision to pull out earlier today after attempting to practise.

"I am really gutted at having travelled all this way just to go back home without hitting a ball," said the 2008 China Open champion. "I honestly thought it was nothing serious - but it's obviously more serious than I first thought.

"The injury has been diagnosed as internal bleeding in a muscle. And it's just too painful to play."

So it's Barry Hawkins who Ken plays on Thursday.

Apparantly Ronnie has done something to his back in China too when he arrived at the airport but it doesn't seem to be affecting him in practise, we'll see at 12.30.

Morning Results:

Ali Carter 5-3 Tian Pengfei

Shaun Murphy 5-1 Michael Holt

Joe Perry 4-5 Jamie Cope

Ding Junhui 5-2 Stephen Lee

Afternoon Fixtures:

Ronnie O'Sullivan vs Graeme Dott

Mark Allen vs Matthew Stevens

Mark Williams vs Joe Swail

Ken has taken it to the decider....

...Fingers crossed again!

Latest:

Barry Hawkins 4(9)4 Ken Doherty
    7-110(79), 75(64)-7, 45-69, 68-29, 7-66, 64-34, 0-73(51)

Morning Results:

Shaun Murphy 5-0 Jamie Cope
    83(33)-5, 60(51)-32, 106(106)-1, 73(33)-1, 133(133)-0

John Higgins 5-1 Mark Williams
    67(47)-37, 69(69)-1, 12-67(60), 71(64)-33(33), 81(81)-29, 84(84)-7

Ding Junhui 5-2 Stuart Bingham
    80(66)-46, 0-126(94), 97(74)-7, 77(41,36)-16, 88(88)-8, 22-59, 101(101)-0

Afternoon Fixtures:

Ronnie O'Sullivan v Marco Fu

Ricky Walden v Stephen Hendry

Liang Wenbo v Allister Carter

Ryan Day v Matthew Stevens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Deciding frame...

Ken 46-0. Woohoo. He's still at the table..

Go on Ken!!!

Broke down on 52, No doubt about it Ken loves these last frame decieders!!!

52-1

I thaught he'd let Hawkins in there...

He has!:mad:

Hawkins back on table now.

52-17

Yay, he just missed. Ken back in!

Ah gick. 52-17

C'mon Barry mess it up... Please!!!

Reprieve, he broke down on 17, ken back in:)

C'mon Crafty Ken... If ever you needed a 20 break.

• Advertisement

WOOO HOOO!!!

Bring on Shaun Murphy!!!

88-17 Looks like he has it...

Hang on... where's that cue ball going... (Always wanted to saythat in commentary :p)

Dr Pepper wrote: »
    Hang on... where's that cue ball going... (Always wanted to saythat in commentary :p)

Shurrup Virgo! :D

Yipee, another 5-4 win, as he has proved before he has plenty of bottle, roll on the quaters tomorrow where he will play Shaun Murphy.
    Told you earlier guys Ken is back playing some where near his best:)

That Murphy game is a whole different prospect, he was great today.

Heading down to the snooker club later, no doubt the gaffer will be on the phone to Ken, i should have listened to him and put a few bob on Ken!!
    Yes Murphy won't be any easier than today, but it's the quarter finals and all the big boys are still there, but is'nt it great to see Ken back in the business end of a tournament?
    And £55,000stg for the winner? that has to be the biggest winners cheque for a long time in a ranking tournament outside the world's and UK c'ship.

At least Ken is now guaranteed being on a TV table tomorrow, I'm not too sure if it will be the live game on EuroSport though, the other morning game will be Walden/Hendry vs Liang/Carter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Korky

If you subscribe to the Eurosport Player online (for €4.99 for the month) you can watch online. It allows you to choose which table to watch - A bit like the red button on Sky!

Oh dear 4-0 down at the interval. Not really a lot to complain about though Murphy has'nt missed much and has really scored heavy when he got in.
    Another 5-4 match anyone?? wishful thinking!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement