Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shocking Price of Gravel!!!

Options
  • 07-09-2009 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

Got quotes for 10 tons of washed gravel at the weekend. Best price was €110 per ton. That means just gravelling around my house will cost €1,100 and that's before putting in a kerb around the gravel to stop it disappearing after a couple of weeks.

Any ideas if this is a good price for gravel or not? The one I'm looking at is "blue gravel" which is mostly blue/grey pebble with some other colours mixed in - 20mm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

Delivered?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭git_ireland

A friend of mine had a large area to do and used this company, Bryko

Not sure of the price he paid but they are a fairly reputable company. No official website as far as im aware but could be worth a shout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Tester46 wrote: »
    Got quotes for 10 tons of washed gravel at the weekend. Best price was €110 per ton. That means just gravelling around my house will cost €1,100 and that's before putting in a kerb around the gravel to stop it disappearing after a couple of weeks.

Any ideas if this is a good price for gravel or not? The one I'm looking at is "blue gravel" which is mostly blue/grey pebble with some other colours mixed in - 20mm.

A quarry beside me sells the white gravel collected at €15 per ton. Actually, they supply a lot of garden centres - they're called glenview - you may have seen them.. You can collect a 2 ton trailer load from their yard for €30.

Delivery costs about €8 per ton.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

reilig wrote: »
    A quarry beside me sells the white gravel collected at €15 per ton. Actually, they supply a lot of garden centres - they're called glenview - you may have seen them.. You can collect a 2 ton trailer load from their yard for €30.

Delivery costs about €8 per ton.

Thanks everyone who replied. That confirmed my suspicion that €110 per ton (not incl delivery) is waaaay to steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I would agree with you Tester46 that 110 euro per tonne not including delivery seems like extortion. I have seen it advertised at 50 euro per tonne in a hardware store recently and thats probably on the high side as I'm sure you would expect better value if buying a larger quantity. Probably ideally you would get the best value by going to your local quarry with a tractor and trailer or truck and taking delivery yourself (if this is at all possible). Also a tip I once read id to buy in dryer weather if possible as you will get a larger volume of gravel per the same tonne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Also a tip I once read id to buy in dryer weather if possible as you will get a larger volume of gravel per the same tonne.

Good tip - but in this country, I could be waiting forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

dh0661 wrote: »
    Good tip - but in this country, I could be waiting forever.

I hear you Donna...I hear you:p

Advertisement