Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will the government start taxing lump sum pension payments?

Options
  • 07-09-2009 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭

The "gratuity" lump sum of one and a half years salary which some people receive when they retire ( as well as their normal weekly / monthly pension )....I understand this is tax free ?
    If so, given the state of the countries finances, is it not time to tax this one-off payment / cheque, said to average over 100,000 euro ? Do the people who currently receive this one off payment really need it to be tax free...after all they still also have a pension well in excess of the normal old age pension , most would have their kids reared, mortgage paid off etc.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Only cops and maybe prison officers get 1.5 times salary the rest are a year or less . It is tax free but the government has indicated a change will be made in the next budget which has led to a massive clearout of top of the scale Garda Supers and Teachers over the past 6 months.

450 guards retired in the first 6 months of 2009 and the total for the year is likely to be 1000 as against a normal 500 retirements per annum

http://www.corkman.ie/news/public-safety-fears-as-gardai-jump-ship-1866170.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Only cops and maybe prison officers get 1.5 times salary the rest are a year or less ...

Not so. Everybody who has completed the full period of pensionable service (40 years in most cases) gets what is quaintly expressed as a lump sum of 60/40ths of final pay, and a pension of 40/80ths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Not so. Everybody who has completed the full period of pensionable service (40 years in most cases) gets what is quaintly expressed as a lump sum of 60/40ths of final pay, and a pension of 40/80ths.
    Thank you. 60/40ths of final pay is the same as one and a half years salary. The question remains : given the state of the countries finances, is it not time to tax this one-off payment ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

jimmmy wrote: »
    The question remains : given the state of the countries finances, is it not time to tax this one-off payment ?
    So this is in fact an income? If so then I don't see why it should not be taxed like normal income. Regardless of the state of the country's finances.

Why does the govt not tax it so ? It would yield a lot of badly needed tax / money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

It would yield a lot of badly needed tax / money.
    Probably would only raise a pittance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Hardly reason not to tax it though.

Diarmuid wrote: »

a back of an envelope guesstimate ...how many people retire each year with this tax free lump sum of over 100,000....say 30,000...if each of these paid just 50,000 income tax on that single cheque each, that would yield 15 million euro per year....hardly a pittance. Especially when you remember the govt is currently borrowing so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

If so then I don't see why it should not be taxed like normal income

A lump sum is presumably an alternative in some sense to paying a higher annual pension. The only issue is that paid in one year it might attract the top rate of tax while spread out it would only have attracted the lower rate.

tax it at the top rate of tax so. For example, its not good enough, given the state of the countries finances, that over 300,000 people get the taxpayer to give them a handout of over 100,000 of borrowed money tax free when they retire as well as a high annual pension.

• Advertisement

ardmacha wrote: »
    A lump sum is presumably an alternative in some sense to paying a higher annual pension...

My understanding is that it is exactly that. I was told many years ago, but cannot give any citation in support, that when the scheme was introduced public servants were asked to choose between the formula that now applies and an alternative of a pension of 2/3rds final salary. On that thinking, the lump sum might be considered as an amount given to pay for a top-up pension. I suspect that very few lump sums are actually used that way.

I suspect that very few lump sums are actually used that way.

What, do you suspect , are these tax free lump sums of over 100,000.00 euro, are spent on so ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Well there would an inequity if you generally fall into a sum of money you are only liable to CGT, but if your pension lump sum would be taxed at a much higher rate.

What, do you suspect , are these tax free lump sums of over 100,000.00 euro, are spent on so ?

Helping offspring with house deposits, nursing home care in some cases, and much is salted away for the security it offers, and finds its way into inheritances.

Helping offspring with house deposits,
    So the pension lump sum handout was partly to blame for the property bubble in this country ? All those retired p.s. with a lump sum of over 100,000.00 and they used it to fuel the property bubble ?

nursing home care in some cases,
    given people retire between their fifties ( in the case of many Gardai I know ) and mid sixties, not too many would immediately go in to a nursing home....in fact some Gardai have will live 30 or 40 years in to their retirement, and have a guaranteed pension second to none in the policeing world.

and much is salted away for the security it offers, and finds its way into inheritances.
    But why should the government not at least tax this windfall, if it has to be paid at all ?

... But why should the government not at least tax this windfall, if it has to be paid at all ?

It's not a windfall, because it is paid for under the terms of the pension scheme.

Many private sector pension schemes resolve into a lump sum on retirement date, with the intention that the lump sum be used to purchase a pension. Such lump sums, I understand, are not taxed.

Whatever decision is made should apply equally to private and public sectors.

It's not a windfall,
    over 100,000 euro is tax free is not a windfall, for those already on a guaranteed state pension of an average of 30,000 ?
    because it is paid for under the terms of the pension scheme.

I have asked a few retired people I know ( eg Gardai ) how much they ever paid in to their pension, and I asked someone in the life assurance industry how much this individual Gardais pension is worth / would cost ( over a million ) ....everyone who reired recently or who will retire recently has not paid the full economic cost of a govt public service pension / lump sum handout. Far from it.

Many private sector pension schemes resolve into a lump sum on retirement date,

The vast majority of people retiring in the private sector do not get lump tax free siums of over 100k on retirement as well as pensions of an average of 30 k lol lol. ....certainly none are paid from money borrowed by the exchequer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Wasn't this question addressed in the Commission on Taxation report? I think there was a proposal to tax lump sums over €200,000

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The vast majority of people retiring in the private sector do not get lump tax free siums of over 100k on retirement as well as pensions of an average of 30 k lol lol. ....certainly none are paid from money borrowed by the exchequer.

Do you have figures for this ?

Or is it just like a builder's back of the envelope calculation (i.e made up) ?

parsi wrote: »
    Do you have figures for this ?

Or is it just like a builder's back of the envelope calculation (i.e made up) ?

A Civil Servant retiring on €66,666 would get a €100,000 lump sum (60/40) and an annual pension of €33,333 (40/80) assuming 40 years service.

I'm not sure what the average retirement salary in the PS is but I wouldn't imagine that this is too far off the mark. For example, the top of the Executive Officer (a mid level grade) scale is around €53,000. This would equate to a lump sum of just about €80,000 and an annual pension of €26,500.
    A Higher Executive Officer would be touching the €100,000

• Advertisement

over 100,000 euro is tax free is not a windfall, for those already on a guaranteed state pension of an average of 30,000 ?

It's not a windfall, because it is not an unexpected and unearned gain. It is part of the remuneration package of public servants.
    I have asked a few retired people I know ( eg Gardai ) how much they ever paid in to their pension, and I asked someone in the life assurance industry how much this individual Gardais pension is worth / would cost ( over a million ) ....everyone who reired recently or who will retire recently has not paid the full economic cost of a govt public service pension / lump sum handout. Far from it.

I never said, nor do I believe, that the public service pension schemes are a bad deal for employees. They are very good (less good because of recent changes to the schemes, but still good). Like many pension schemes, there is an employer contribution component but, because of the way public accounts have been done, that element is not factored out and shown separately.

Is that any answer to my point that the taxation treatment of private and public sector pensions should be the same?

dvpower wrote: »
    A Civil Servant retiring on €66,666 would get a €100,000 lump sum (60/40) and an annual pension of €33,333 (40/80) assuming 40 years service.

I'm not sure what the average retirement salary in the PS is but I wouldn't imagine that this is too far off the mark.

correct, given average p.s. wages of 966 per week across over 300,000 people

Wasn't this question addressed in the Commission on Taxation report? I think there was a proposal to tax lump sums over €200,000

Correct, but why not tax all lump sums from both private and public sector pensions ....

I never said, nor do I believe, that the public service pension schemes are a bad deal for employees.
    Of course they are not a bad deal for those employees who get them.

They are however a bad deal for the exchequer, and have greatly contributed to the drain on public finances. ....currently running at a deficit of what 20 or 22 billion per year .

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I'm not sure what the average retirement salary in the PS is but I wouldn't imagine that this is too far off the mark. For example, the top of the Executive Officer (a mid level grade) scale is around €53,000. This would equate to a lump sum of just about €80,000 and an annual pension of €26,500.
    A Higher Executive Officer would be touching the €100,000

That's an answer , but not to the question posed which was in relation to
    jimmmy wrote:

Correct, but why not tax all lump sums from both private and public sector pensions ....

That is what's been proposed.

We recommend that
    • €200,000 of that lump sum should be tax-free
    • The excess of that lump sum over €200,000 should be taxable at the standard rate

That is what's been proposed.

But why should the first 200,000 of this handout cheque be tax free at all , given the state of the countries finances ?

But why should the first 200,000 of this handout cheque be tax free at all , given the state of the countries finances ?

It shouldn't. If the Government allow a tax relief on pension contributions, then they should tax this money when it matures.

However, if they stop the tax relief on pension contributions (and there are some signs that they might do this), then they shouldn't tax pensions (either lump sums or annuity payments) when they are paid out.

parsi wrote: »
    That's an answer , but not to the question posed which was in relation to

Quite right - my misreading.

A quick calculation of what I need to pay into my personal pension to get €30,000 pa and a €100,000 lump sum puts me living on bread and water 'till I'm 65.

• Advertisement

A quick calculation of what I need to pay into my personal pension to get €30,000 pa and a €100,000 lump sum puts me living on bread and water 'till I'm 65.

I think 9 out of ten private sector people would be living on bread and water if they were to pay into their personal pensions to get a guaranteed €30,000 pa and a €100,000 lump sum , like the average public servant gets on retirement. Time for the bulk of the people to rise up before the country is sucked dry altogether.

Advertisement