Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Novel way of implementing a fair Property Tax

Options
  • 07-09-2009 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

I know there is another thread on opposing Property Tax, but I have a better solution.
    People should be taxed on the percentage of the property they actually own. The banks should be liable for the rest.
    If you own 5% of your house, and the bank owns 95%, the banks should cough up 95% of the tax due on that house, and you 5%. Remember that the banks were partly to blame for creating this situation in the first place.
    If you have paid 100% of your mortgage on your house, you are liable for the lot.
    This scheme sorts out a lot of issues.
    1: It allocates the right proportion of blame to the culpable parties for the current situation.
    2: It adds a little fairness to the notion of a property tax.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

What if you are on a pension and own your own home outright?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

MarkR wrote: »
    What if you are on a pension and own your own home outright?

Exactly. I own my own home having paid for it over thirty years. I also had to spend another seven years saving 15% of the cost as a deposit and during some of that time, paid household rates.
    Really, what I should have done was have the Local Authority house me and waited until all the lunacy started about ten years ago, to buy.
    Do you really think the banks would pay the tax out of their profits? Would they hell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

I'm transferring the ownership of my house to a not for profit housing association, headquartered in Bermuda.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Biffo The Bare

bmaxi wrote: »
    Do you really think the banks would pay the tax out of their profits? Would they hell!
    Why not.!!!!!:mad:
    If they can force ordinary mortgage holders to pay property taxes, why not the banks, they own a percentage of the said properties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Why not.!!!!!:mad:
    If they can force ordinary mortgage holders to pay property taxes, why not the banks, they own a percentage of the said properties.

Wouldn't they just pass the cost of this back on to mortgage holders in higher interest rates? Either way, the punter pays.

• Advertisement

dvpower wrote: »
    Wouldn't they just pass the cost of this back on to mortgage holders in higher interest rates? Either way, the punter pays.

Got it in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Sorry you didn't get a tracker then?:D

Sorry you didn't get a tracker then?:D

Interest rates would only be one way. The banks make Ryanair look like amateurs when it comes to charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

I'm transferring the ownership of my house to a not for profit housing association, headquartered in Bermuda.;)
    Just park some broken cars in the garden and let the grass grow long, that'll help bring down you house value and the tax.

Advertisement