Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Tomatoes, Chillies etc...

Options
  • 07-09-2009 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

So I've about 30 fairly big green tomatoes on my tomato plant. Should I bring them in to force them to ripen (I've read about using a paper bag in a warm cupboard)?

also, I've a few small bushy cayenne pepper plant with LOADS of small green chillies on it. longest is probably 4cm long. Should I just harvest them, or wait to see if they ripen?

I've also finally got one green bell pepper growing, it's only small, but at least it's growing-will I have enough time to get a full size fruit out of it?

The peppers are in a mini greenhouse, the tomatoes out in the open.

thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Same situation with tomatoes, about 6 plant loads of them, all green. Sunshine forecast for the end of the week then I'm afraid it'll be the brown bag and banana skins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

My Mam makes green tomato chutney - lovely with a cold meat salad or sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

Same situation.

I've got 6 tomato plants worth of Moneymaker tomatoes. Absolutely hundreds of them. All green and not a sign of turning red.

My Apache chilli's on the other hand are turning red, with two fully red at the moment.

They literally change colour in hours. Once they start turning red, you could see the progress they made.

Great fun all together :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Hauk wrote: »

My Apache chilli's on the other hand are turning red, with two fully red at the moment.

They literally change colour in hours. Once they start turning red, you could see the progress they made.

Great fun all together :D

You're spot on-my cayenne chilies started turning red yesterday. One started in the morning and today it's fully red! Woo! Another has started to turn too.

I moved my little greenhouse to the middle of the garden so it gets sun all day as it was being shadowed by a wall for most of the morning.

I tasted one of the green cayenne peppers and wow! they are spicy little feckers. Only just over an inch in length, but they pack a serious punch!

Hopefully the sun'll last a few more days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

What do you do with the brown bag and banana skin:o.
    I put them on the window sill inside but they are taking ages.Even after all the sunshine over the last couple of days they have only got a little less green.Oh and some of them have brown bruises on them,why?.This is my first time growing them.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

holly1, if you put unripe fruit in a brown paper bag with a banana it'll ripen quickly. It can take a lot longer for them to ripen on a windowsill but they will eventually.
    I don't know what would cause bruising, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Could it be something to do with watering,maby over watering.I water them everyday?

Thanks for your reply Dizzyblond,will try that.Brown bags might be a proplem:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm not sure you can overwater tomatoes because they need to be watered daily anyway.
    Any paper bag would probably do for the banana :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

it's possbile to overwater them alright, just as it's possible to underwater.

If your watering isn't regular, you can end up with splits on the toms too. They nearly dry out a bit, then when you add water they swell too quickly. Kinda how it was explained to me anyways.

As for the brown spots, could be a number of things. AFAIK nutrient imbalances can cause this, as well as fungal or viral infection. I've had a few browny spots on some of mine, ate em anyway and they were grand :)

I never knew you could overwater them. For the first time ever this year I've had a few of mine eaten by something :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement