Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boccy's American Football betting thread

Options
  • 07-09-2009 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭

I like punting on American Football and claim to know a little about the subject so I am going to start a thread with a number of bets.

I am not ging to prefer any wisdom on who wins it all at this stage. In all american sports and especially with Football, it's a case of get into the postseason and anything can happen. This has been proved by the Cardinals last year, the Giants the year before and may more. It is a long time since the "best" two teams in the AFC and NFC have played for the Superbowl and also a long time since the favourite won it all. So for this reason, any long term picks will be made at a later stage.

Week 1 games are notoriously hard to call and often playing the over line can be profitable. Defenses are generally not set and the very warm weather can lead to high scoring games.

But I will make two choices:

Atlanta Falcons giving 4
    Indianapolis Colts giving 7

Both of the above are 10/11 shots so a €20 wager will return 72.90.

Best of luck to anyone who samples the delights of the NFL this year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭boccy23

No joy this week.

The Falcons covered easily and except for a meaningless end of game TD, the Colts would have done as well.

Ah well, there's always next week.

More to follow....

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭fippy

I will be following this thread closely ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭jacool

am doing a FF on the NFL.
    Picked 6 this weekend and yes, the Colts let me down too.
    I'll be here weekly too !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 pandyx

For some reason I've got interesed in the NFL this year, and I can't say that since the Bears won against the New England with McMahon, Payton and The Fridge....

Anyway, a great sport to have a punt on so going to pay much more attention to it this year.

Will have a watching brief tonight as the spreads are wide, 10 and 11 points.

But I could see the Raiders beating the spread and the Pats blowing it away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Matt Santos

I am not going to say much about the weekends game only to say that I have got my treble up and out of the 14 ties that have been played I have had 12 correct predictions!
    I can tell you also that I was very surprised by the Jets in Houston but I should have taken into account that the Texans are notoriously slow starters.. But even in saying that I still thought they would handle the Jets under Sanchez..

With that gone by now we only have tonights games...
    New England host the Buffalo Bills and the spread is 11.5 points. The Patriots will tear this crew asunder and could really put paid to a lot of wrangling that is going on in the Buffalo franchise.. Heads could really roll after tonights result.

The Oakland Raiders host the San Diego Chargers with the spread of 10 points on offer. Oakland have been awful this past few years and have made a few plunges into the free agent market. But, this San Diego team under Phillip Rivers really have all the guns to belittle the home team. I think that the Chargers have a point to prove this year after a topsy turvy start to last season with decisions going agaist them on the field of play.. I would be keeping them onside for the whole lot even at this early stage of the season!!

Prediction therefore is for both favs to cover the handicap (and maybe very comfortably as well!!)

Had a look at this again and I agree with you Matt. I will go for a double for €20 and hope for the best.

I did have a double on the Saints and Falcons which came up over the weekend. Originally posted one didn't and then the Bungles fecked up an 8 timer. But hey it was my fault for thinking the bungles could change their stripes.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭alphapa

intersting always saw amercian football as a good place to make some cash ill be taking ur tips lads!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Raoul

Stuck ten on Patriots -13.5 and Chargers -10. Returns 34.60! ;) Come on!

Anyone know anywhere good to watch?

Buffalo 7 Patriots 0 after the first quarter.
    Owens running all over the place but not getting much action.
    Brady starting to piece a nice run here though at the start of the 2nd quarter.

• Advertisement

7 all now.......... Middle of the 2nd quarter.
    Patriots starting to click.:D

Bills 24 Patriots 25

What could only be described as a Houdini special by Bellichick and Tom Brady!!

A wild last 2 and a half minutes gets a Patriot touch down followed by a dropped kick return! Pats go in again to take a single point lead. They go for two 2 point conversions and fail on both of them. Still had to hold on for the last 40 odd seconds to see if Trent Edwards and Co. could get close enough to kick a winner..

Patriots win but I think I will have to re-access this Bills package.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

From what little I know about AF, the 1/4 back has to be decent if a team is to have any chance. Tom Brady is the best there is so the Patriots have to have a decent chance and at 9-2 I think I will be having a punt on them. I see some tipsters like the Eagles but McNabe is a known choker in the big games so no thanks. I dont know what the Patriots defense is like but hey who cares - Brady will carry them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 pandyx

I came across an interesting video clip yesterday regarding the NFL...It was something about not paying too much attention to the previous weeks results...I found it a bizarre bit of advice. I'll have a search for it, probably on Youtube.

This weeks main bet is as follows:

New orleans over Philadelphia

With no spread it's an even game. McNabb most likely will not play and in a pretty even game I will take Brees over Kolb any day.

Under 42 points in the Tampa Bay V Buffalo game.

Both offenses are poor and I feel that while it may be an even game, 6 touchdowns between them is a stretch.

€20 pays €72.89.

I will also be doing an Accumaltor on the following:

Tennesse giving 6.5 versus the Texans
    Atlanta giving 6 versus the Panthers
    Jaguars giving 3 versus the Cardinals
    Patriots giving 3 versus the Jets
    Ravens getting 3 versus the Chargers
    Giants getting 3 versus the Cowboys

A €10 accum would bring in €1564 so here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Have a small accumulator on todays games, 2 down 2 to go.

(Money Line) OAK Raiders 7/5 Won
    (Point Spread) NO Saints +0.0 10/11 Won

(Money Line) CLE Browns 8/5 To Run (down 7-6 but like their chances, still early on)
    (Money Line) BAL Ravens 29/20 To Run (think they will take the chargers, 7-7 at the minute)

4 Folds 5.00 returns 140.93

No joy last night but did some doubles with the game selections for a break even night.

I fancy that Miami at home in a big game tonight will come good. A number of 0-1 teams played well in week 2 after bad losses, Arizona, Buffalo, Chicago and even Washington won!

So at 2.64 on Betfair, €20 on a Miami win.

Week 3 and the waters should be becoming a little clearer........
    A few good match ups this week with certainties in
    1. Jets at home to a surprisingly poor Tennesse.
    2. Ravens at home to a very poor Cleveland.
    3. A rampant Giants hot from a great win in Dallas in Tampa Bay.
    4. A stuttering yet winning Chicago away to an injury ravaged Seattle.
    5. The Free scoring Saints away to an inconsistent Buffalo.

Ties to stay away from are
    1. 49'ers away to Minnesota
    2. Jacksonville away to Houston
    3. Miami visiting San Diego
    4. A horrible Green Bay travels to St. Louis.
    Even the handicap betting is awful with these 4 ties with the 49'ers +7, Jaguars +3.5, Miami +6 and Green Bay an incredible -6.5!!

I know its early in the week but the treble at the moment looks like this....
    1. Jets -3
    2. Giants -7
    3. Chicago -2.5
    The handicap with the Ravens is a little tough with it being -13 so I will leave them out and The Saints should cover 5.5 but the other choices look enough for me.
    Tempted to play the Denver Broncos in there to but I am going to give Orton another week or two to fill in the gaps..

Happy punting:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

NFL
    Sunday, 27 September 2009
    Arizona Cardinals v Indianapolis Colts Wouldn’t touch
    Baltimore Ravens v Cleveland Browns Ravens
    Buffalo Bills v New Orleans Saints Saints but just about
    Cincinnati Bengals v Pittsburgh Steelers Wouldn’t touch
    Detroit Lions v Washington Redskins Skins
    Houston Texans v Jacksonville Jaguars Texans
    Minnesota Vikings v San Francisco 49ers Wouldn’t touch
    New England Patriots v Atlanta Falcons Wouldn’t touch
    New York Jets v Tennessee Titans Jets but Titans dangerous as they badly need win
    Oakland Raiders v Denver Broncos Wouldn’t touch
    Philadelphia Eagles v Kansas City Chiefs Eagles even with Kolb
    San Diego Chargers v Miami Dolphins Chargers
    Seattle Seahawks v Chicago Bears Wouldn’t touch
    St Louis Rams v Green Bay Packers Packers. Rams are horrible
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers v New York Giants Giants
    Monday, 28 September 2009
    Dallas Cowboys v Carolina Panthers Cowboys should do it

Will have a bet on Ravens, Skins, Texans, Giants, Eagles and Cowboys to win. Prob not good odds

Houston giving 3.5 over the the Jags

Houston had a good bounce back last week. They are 6-1 against the spread versus the Jags at home.

The Jets giving 3 over the Titans.

The Titans are plain brutal and the Jets could be very good. The Jets are also 5-0 versus the spread when playing the Titans.

The Saints giving 5.5 to the Bills.

I have played the Saints in both week 1 and 2 happily and will continue to ride the Brees train until it derails. Might be never though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

I'll add my tuppence worth for this week if you don't mind.

San Diego total points under 25 5/6
    NY Giants total points under 25 5/6
    New Orleans total points under 29 5/6

all prices with Ladbrokes, €25 treble at 5/1

€50 Miami to beat San Diego 21/10

€50 Buffalo to beat New Orleans 9/4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

In my book Houston are 2/7 chances and Buffalo 5/4, less than 2/1 ladbrokes go 10/19 and 9/4 which makes up at just on 4/1, take advantage.

San Diego total points under 25 5/6
    NY Giants total points under 25 5/6
    New Orleans total points under 29 5/6

all prices with Ladbrokes, €25 treble at 5/1

All under for a return of €125 profit.
    €50 Miami to beat San Diego 21/10

€50 Buffalo to beat New Orleans 9/4

Sadly neither of the above won.

Overall €25 profit :p

Great to take the shops for a few quid there..:D

Giants absolutely blew the Tamba Bay out of it with power Football. Brandon Jacobs really putting in a super performance.
    The Jets got off to a flyer against Tennesse going 14 nil up very fast but had to hold out in the end. Hard believe that the Jets are 3 - 0 and that the Titans are a terrible 0 - 3.
    The other game of the Treble of Doom was Chicago. Seattle started very fast with a quick 13 - 0 lead but fair play to Cutler and the Bears to reel them in and run out a relatively comfortable 25 - 19 winners. The killer for me was that with only a few minutes left on the clock Chicago were a point down and I was certain they would settle for the field goal and hence not cover the 2.5 handicap! But, they get the touchdown and the bet is up:D

Denver are really looking impressive and they may be worth looking at in the next few weeks ties. The other game that could have made it into a right good accum was Baltimore but I got spooked with the huge +13 handicap. But again, the Ravens spank the Browns by an impressive 31!!

Money up! Hope some of you took notice and shared in the luck and till next week Adieu.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Denver are really looking impressive and they may be worth looking at in the next few weeks ties.

Avoid tbh. They've beaten the Bengals, Browns and Raiders. Hardly stellar oppostion. While the Bengals is now looking a good result it was the first game of the season and they won it on a fluke last minute miracle. Denvers following matches are Cowboys, Pats, @chargers, @ravens, Stealers. That's a brutal schedule. I'd be surprised if they pick up 1 win.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

"Will have a bet on Ravens, Skins, Texans, Giants, Eagles and Cowboys to win. Prob not good odds "

Good thing i didn't make it to the bookies at the weekend

Anyone think the Patriots are value @ 8-1 to win the Superbowl with Ladbrokes?

Warper wrote: »

Ok, There are 32 teams that can win a superbowl. Well, 32 teams will start off trying to win a Superbowl! Of the 32 teams there are at least 16 that can and will not win a Superbowl. Out of the 16 teams that are left you can find probably 8 teams that will have serious ambitions to winning the Superbowl. Of that 8 teams You would have to think that the New England Patriots are one of those eight teams and really in the top 4 of teams that can go the whole way..
    They have an exceptional offense lead by Tom Brady who is certainly in the top 3 QB's in the league at the moment and many peoples pick of the best. They have a very solid defence and are coached by the best tactician in the game at the moment in Belichick. They have suffered a few injuries and have lost Wes Welker and still stuffed a very progressive Atlanta all be it at home.

In a purely mathematics point of view they are sure value at 8/1 to win it all but its a long way out and anything can happen in the post season but I think the AFC is still a long way ahead of the NFC so its really a 5/1 shot that you are getting for 8/1.

I dont think that they will win it but 8's is value at the moment..;)

They were 7/1 last night on Lads?

I placed 2 bets last night with my winnings!! on Baltimore at 10/1 & Pittsburgh at 16/1, fantastic prices I think.

The best value out there is New Orleans at 10/1 with Stan James. Chaotic price.

• Advertisement

I backed the Patriots @ 8-1 with Lads. They were general 9-2 shots at the start and drifted due to 2 unimpressive opening games. Tom Brady is the best QB in the game and as stated, they have a fantastic coach. 8-1 just seemed too big for a team that most pundits picked at the start.

Advertisement