Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boccy's American Football betting thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Lost my stones last night. Lumped on a handicap treble of Giants -6.5, Packers-6.5 and Steelers -3.5.
    Giants and Packers did the business but the ****ing Steelers gave up a touchdown to the BENGALS(!!!) with 14 seconds to go to lose the game. Sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Stuck 40 on the Bengals at 9-4 during the final drive :) Was thinking about betting on the Lions but was not brave enough in the end :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭boccy23

Lost my stones last night. Lumped on a handicap treble of Giants -6.5, Packers-6.5 and Steelers -3.5.
    Giants and Packers did the business but the ****ing Steelers gave up a touchdown to the BENGALS(!!!) with 14 seconds to go to lose the game. Sick.

I was similarly f****ed up by the Bungles. I had the same three in doubles and a treble. Just about covered myself.

Same thing for the Texans. They are as flaky as feck. I had them with the Saints and the Jets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

this week was great for me but as i didnt post previously i wont gloat, i will complain however that the Titans awful mistakes on special teams and the receivers inability to hold onto a pass in the fourth quarter ruined a perfect run for me :)

this season is shaping up well and a lot of teams could make a big push this year

except the Browns who i fancy to go 1-15 or possibly 0-16 this season

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Matt Santos

This coming week will sort out the men from the boys in so far as a selection betting week is concerned. This is the week that 3 and 0 records get smashed and the teams that beat them are the least likely!
    Will be interesting to see who picks what here........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

NFL
    Sunday, 4 October 2009
    Chicago Bears v Detroit Lions Bears
    Cleveland Browns v Cincinnati Bengals Bengals
    Denver Broncos v Dallas Cowboys Cowboys
    Houston Texans v Oakland Raiders wouldn't touch
    Indianapolis Colts v Seattle Seahawks Colts
    Jacksonville Jaguars v Tennessee Titans wouldn't touch
    Kansas City Chiefs v New York Giants Giants
    Miami Dolphins v Buffalo Bills wouldn't touch
    New England Patriots v Baltimore Ravens wouldn't touch
    New Orleans Saints v New York Jets wouldn't touch
    Pittsburgh Steelers v San Diego Chargers Steelers
    San Francisco 49ers v St Louis Rams 49ers
    Washington Redskins v Tampa Bay Buccaneers wouldn't touch
    Monday, 5 October 2009
    Minnesota Vikings v Green Bay Packers packers

Out of that lot i'll take Bears, Cowboys, Giants, Colts & Steelers

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    NFL
    Sunday, 4 October 2009
    Chicago Bears v Detroit Lions Bears
    Cleveland Browns v Cincinnati Bengals Bengals
    Denver Broncos v Dallas Cowboys Cowboys
    Houston Texans v Oakland Raiders wouldn't touch
    Indianapolis Colts v Seattle Seahawks Colts
    Jacksonville Jaguars v Tennessee Titans wouldn't touch
    Kansas City Chiefs v New York Giants Giants
    Miami Dolphins v Buffalo Bills wouldn't touch
    New England Patriots v Baltimore Ravens wouldn't touch
    New Orleans Saints v New York Jets wouldn't touch
    Pittsburgh Steelers v San Diego Chargers Steelers
    San Francisco 49ers v St Louis Rams 49ers
    Washington Redskins v Tampa Bay Buccaneers wouldn't touch
    Monday, 5 October 2009
    Minnesota Vikings v Green Bay Packers packers

Out of that lot i'll take Bears, Cowboys, Giants, Colts & Steelers

Straight Up or against the spread Krusty?

can't get odds in work so i'll get back to ya on that one. the spread on some of those games would be big me thinks

Bears -10
    Cowboys -3
    Giants -8.5
    Colts -10.5
    Steelers -6.5

are the lines.

Bears -10 i'm thinking no at this point as Detroit will be pumped up after their win last week
    Cowboys -3
    yes
    Giants -8.5 yes
    Colts -10.5 yes
    Steelers -6.5 yes they can't afford to be 1-3

• Advertisement

I'm struggling a little bit this week. The obvious ones have a decent spread to overcome and the tight ones are very close to call.

I may stick with winning teams, NO / IND / NYG, and take them to cover the spread. I will look at it tonight and post up tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I really like the Patriots @ 5-6 with Boyles for the straight win against the Ravens. I saw the Chargers V Ravens 2 weeks ago and SD should have won it. Rivers got his highest ever yardage around 430. They were in the red zone 4 times and had to come away with FG's. I cant see Brady being that profligate especially at home. NAP Material. In Tom we trust.

Warper wrote: »
    I really like the Patriots @ 5-6 with Boyles for the straight win against the Ravens. I saw the Chargers V Ravens 2 weeks ago and SD should have won it. Rivers got his highest ever yardage around 430. They were in the red zone 4 times and had to come away with FG's. I cant see Brady being that profligate especially at home. NAP Material. In Tom we trust.

Ravens have an excellent D though, if Welker is not in the team i see the Ravens turning my team over!

one other big problem for pats, brady still doesnt look comfortable when stepping up and has been hesitant when pressured and still finding his rythem (he will find it of course!!) and with a defence led by ray lewis i can see him being put under alot of pressure..... patriots have injury concerns in defence aswell as the possible loss of welker to contend with

not saying i will back the ravens, i never back against the patriots, but i think i would just leave the game alone

my picks this week are

Texans
    Titans
    Ravens
    Bengals
    Giants
    Bears
    Skins
    Colts
    Saints
    bills or dolphins? probably bills, just
    49ers
    Cowboys
    Steelers
    Vikings

those who i will be betting on the handicap are possibly

bengals -6
    cowboys -3
    giants -8.5

100 returns 711.57

then for a longer cheaper bet i might do

bengals-6 10/11 cleveland are just awful
    titans 4/6 they are too good to keep losing
    saints 10/31 just backing drew brees to win the shoot out
    cowboys 20/29 they dont usually fall apart till january
    vikings 10/19 this one is based on nothing other then wanting a 5th team and whenever i back the packers they lose so i may aswell go against!

20 returns 217.06

havent fully decided on bets yet and will finalise when i her more on injury reports and team news

Dallas Cowboys -3 @ Denver Broncos

Tennessee Titans -3 @ Jacksonville Jaguars

New York Giants -9 @ Kansas City Chiefs

€10 on 1 Treble and 3 Doubles

Potential of €185.44 for €40 total stake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

I will probably do a few accumulators of odds on bets, but undecided as to who to add yet. The two bets that I will place as singles will be 50 on the Patriots at 4-5 and 50 on the Chargers at 9-4.

Patriots are improving all the time and the Ravens did give up a lot of passing yards against the Chargers. I will probably make a decision closer to game time, depending on the fitness of Welker and Moss.

As for the Chargers at the Steelers. Neither team has had any success running the ball this year, if the Chargers get Bennett involved they might get some more production as he will grind it out where as Sproles will not. If it comes down to the passing game, I think that Chambers, Jackson and Gates are a much better core of receivers than Hines, Holmes and Miller. Plus the Steelers are missing Polamalu in the secondary, making it slightly easier for the Chargers to both pass and run on them. My only fear for the Chargers is their red zone production.

I am being tempted to bet on the Redskins to beat the handicap against the Buccaneers. They got a lot of yards against the Lions and Rams, but no end product. It is crunch time now, they need to click or some of the coaches could be shown the door. Could be a break out weekend, but do not know if I am brave enough.

Right guys I know its late in the day but I had to post before the off anyway!

This week is a tough week. Teams like Tennesse do not want to go 0-4 but away to Jacksonville is not the place to be looking for the first win!
    Detroit will be bouyed up with last wekks win but a still stuttering Chicago in Soldier field is not the route to fruit. The handicap is +10 but I still think the Bears may still cover it. Tampa Bay are travelling to Fedex to play a Jim Zorn side that MUST win to save his redskin! No Byron Leftwhich for Tampa so its an unknown IMO. Colts at home to Seattle that got off to a flyer last week against the Bears but still got reeled in. Peyton should cover the required 10 points.
    Possibly the match of the weekend unless you are a Favre fan is in Boston with Baltimore trying to move past a hesitant Patriot team that still needs to drop the clutch and move up the gears. Defence wins these games and I think the Ravens may just sneak by. But my treble of doom looks like this.............

1. New York Giants to slam Kansas and cover the 9 point spread.
    2. Cincinnatti to blow past the simple worst football team in Cleveland.
    and..............
    3. Dallas to go to Mile High and take out the Broncos. 3 points to cover.

Looked at Oakland to stay with the Texans (+8.5) Pittsburgh to give Rivers a nightmare and beat San Diego by at least 6.5, Miami at home to Buffalo being a level scratch game and New Orleans to take full advantage of home turf to slow the rampant Jets.

Green Bay (+4) is a huge rick IMO and I think that they really punch the Vikings in the face. The Packers to give it all for AAron Rodgers in this real grudge match with Brett now the other side!

Best of look boys!!:D

I will not be backing the titans again this year! shocking display tonight..... Cowboys were poor tonight also and i dunno who they can blame it on now that TO is gone. Pats were very good i thought and ran the ball very well using 4 different backs!

i did the bets i posted on a previous page so you can work out that im not happy but i did have a saver bet so im not too bad

Simply put.......... Tony Romo is not consistent enough at this level. Moments of genius is not enough for Americas team. To take the Cowboys in 46 odd seconds at the end to the red zone and come up short is just so frustrating its criminal. I sais it a few weeks ago that Denver were worth a look and I am now convinced that they may be the genuine article now.
    New York Giants just do the job as per usual and are World class. Eli and Co do the Chiefs like they were a tin of kippers! Peyton does another number on Seattle. This may be the year of the Manning Bowl yet!!
    Chicago stuff the Lions and Jacksonville rail road the Titans. New Orleans run a huge score up against the Jets! Why could I not pick two of those selections instead of the Bengals and the infuriating Cowboys!!
    The Steelers were in a huge lead and let the Chargers back but still covered..
    :mad:

Cowboys -3 yes
    Giants -8.5 yes
    Colts -10.5 yes
    Steelers -6.5 yes they can't afford to be 1-3

bloody broncos :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

sorry have to disagree a bit,think the sun is shining on their ass a little at the minute,
    while there defense is tight, giving away very little, the teams they've played (cin,cle,oak) have been poor,dallas were awful and would have been smashed by more by most other teams

next 4 games
    home to pats
    away to chargers
    bye
    away to ravens
    home to steelers

could easily go 4-4 or 5-3 maybe imo......offense has been way to sloppy and is in for a major test

oh ya I cowboys let me down doubled em with pats
    never again backing em(for this year anyway...)
    mn to make it up tonight

this week i fancy (teams in red)

Denver Broncos v New England Patriots
    Detroit Lions v Pittsburgh Steelers
    New York Giants v Oakland Raiders
    Philadelphia Eagles v Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    St Louis Rams v Minnesota Vikings

won't get great odds straight up but all should win

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    this week i fancy (teams in red)

Denver Broncos v New England Patriots
    Detroit Lions v Pittsburgh Steelers
    New York Giants v Oakland Raiders
    Philadelphia Eagles v Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    St Louis Rams v Minnesota Vikings

won't get great odds straight up but all should win

Some very clever and insightful picks there Krusty......

New England are against a solid Broncos and even though they have only started to kick on in the old Patriot manner. They might even cover the handicap of 3 pts at 10/11!:D
    Pittsburgh after a great win over the San Diego Chargers will be well up for the Lions. What with therir one win in the last 20 games they gotta fancy their chances. Probably are good enough to beat them well but at 10.5 pts its a gamble!;)
    Now, the 4-0 New York Giants are a real winning team! They may just go to town on the leaderless Oakland Raiders. They have been putting up huge scores and the handicap reflects that. It being 16.5 pts!:confused:
    I am a little worried about the Philadelphia Eagles beating the 0-4 Tampa Bay Buccs. They can only stay losing for so long. But with the Eagles coming off a rest week I think its safe to back the Eagles;)
    What with the Vikings giving the Packers a walloping last Monday night they have to be slight favs to turn over the St Louis Rams. The Ram defence will have no answer to the Viking rush and if they get that stopped they gotta face the miracle man in the air:cool:

Ok lets see the prices for the five way accum of doom......
    10/17, 2/11, 1/13, 1/12 & 1/5 that returns for a €10 bet............

The princely sum of.............

........... €26.28:D
    Happy punting big punter:pac:

Matt

anytime you can take money off the bookies is alrite by me esp when funds aren't huge. will try to expand more on picks form now on.

Pats will cover that handicap imo so i'll have €25 on them at 10/11. Welker being back is a huge aid to Brady. Whilst the Broncos D was solid last week i cannot see Brady making the same mistakes Romo made in the red zone esp throwing the ball continually Champ Baileys way. i also believe that if the Pat pressurize Orton then he will turn the ball over.

First selection this week is the Pats minus 3 at Denver.

They Patriots are starting to get into their stride with Brady now more and more confident. I saw Denver last week and they were up against a very poor Dallas side. So the Pats to cover.

More to follow....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Seahawks should cover the -1 handicap against the Jags at home, assuming Hasselbeck starts...

Ok guys, some serious handicaps to cover this week so the selections are a little obvious.
    I cant back or lay the Giants with them dealing with a 14.5 spread! The home crowd will be expectant but the number is just too bandy! What with Eli injured and only 50/50 to start I reckon leave them this week.
    I really hope that Baltimore hand Cinncinatti their arse this week but Baltimore are such a tough team that I think the score will be low and 3pts of a win would be enough in the teams opinion. Leave it again.
    Cleveland gave it all against the Bengals last week but are only getting 6 against a surprisingly efficient Buffalo. Like the Bills but not this week.
    Carolina host Washington and the fuse must be close to the dynamite in the Nations Capital at the moment. Carolina have been horrific but I think they can put this redskin team to the sword and let the Management merrigoround commence!!
    Oh my God! What do you say about Dallas! I am sick of the promise and even though I think they will inflict a cruel blow to Kansas I just cant put them on a docket.
    Tampa away to the Eagles is another high scoring potential but 15 pts is a huge handicap to get in.
    Now we get to the nitty gritty. I really think that the Vikings are the real deal and are a potent ground team and have the ability out of nowhere to slam a huge air play in. 10 pts is a big cover but I think they are a comfortable bet over St. Louis. In the bet.
    Jacksonville visit the west coast to Seattle and the game is marked up pretty even. I like the Jaguars and I am taking the even money.
    The Texans are another team that need more inspection in my opinion. This week Arizona host them and I see it tight but last years runner up catching them late.
    Now, pay attention. This is ridiculous. New England with just 3 pts to cover against the Broncos! Billichick will not allow the same shambolic plays like Dallas ran so expect a "careful beating" inflicted on Denver. Most certainly in the bet this week. Maybe a sneaky double with the other cert of the week and that is...........
    The Colts away in Tennesse. 3.5pts to cover and in the last 3 weeks the Colts have been 27 pts over the handicap line. I love them against this Tennesse defence:D
    The other that gets in is the 49'ers against Atlanta. Singletary has this team humming and the rested Atlanta will be no push over but San Fransisco should have enough to get by them.
    So it looks like this,
    New England to beat Denver and cover 3.5,
    The Colts to cover another 3.5 against Tennesse, (A huge double in itself)
    The Vikings to cover 10 pts against the lowly St. Louis,
    San Fransisco to hold back Matt Ryan and the Falcons and
    Jacksonville straight up to beat the Seahawks.

A €100 accum pays €2433:eek: Tasty!!

Best of luck guys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

US Sports Baltimore -8.5pts, Minnesota Vikings, NY Giants , Pittsburgh Steelers, New England -2.5pts, Indianapolis Colts.......6.95 on betfair
    good luck

This NFL lark is getting me down. How good are these Broncos. Opposed them with what seemed like a guaranteed win by the Patriots and boom, they go and beat them.

Also had the b*****d Ravens. These Bengals have cost me every week so far.

Mental note, avoid Cincinncati next week. Avoid Cincinnati next week. Repeat to ensure I don't forget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

boccy23 wrote: »
    This NFL lark is getting me down. How good are these Broncos. Opposed them with what seemed like a guaranteed win by the Patriots and boom, they go and beat them.

Also had the b*****d Ravens. These Bengals have cost me every week so far.

Mental note, avoid Cincinncati next week. Avoid Cincinnati next week. Repeat to ensure I don't forget.
    Yeah I was shocked the Pats did not cover. Them donkeys must be for real. As for Cinci doing the Ravens, biggest upset this yr imho.

Advertisement