Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does Cavity Wall Insulation really work??

• 07-09-2009 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi, thinking about getting cavity wall insulation but can anyone tell me if it makes a real difference to the heat of the house and to my energy bills???

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

are you talking about getting an existing cavity pumped?

if the question is simply, does insulation work, the answer is unquestionably... yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

In a nutshell yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Hi,

Definitely, my experience of having the cavity insulation upgraded in my own home has been very positive, the difference it made to the north facing rooms was more than expected.

They were the type of rooms that needed the heating on at the slightest drop in temperature and in mid winter were never comfortable, now they are cosy retaining the heat.

I suggest that you download or ask for the IAB data sheets on the products you are considering, they contain a good guide regarding drilling patterns etc.

You might be surprised at the number of installers who try to tell you that its not necessary to drill under window cills etc.

Being cautious I didn't tell the Gent who was doing my house about my intention to do work that involved drilling holes in the finished walls, I have yet to find a spot that was missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Doctor_L

I would recommend cavity wall insulation, the fact that it sealed around our doors and windows means we have a more comfortable house that retains the heat longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Doctor_L wrote: »
    I would recommend cavity wall insulation, the fact that it sealed around our doors and windows means we have a more comfortable house that retains the heat longer.

Interesting. I just had this done this summer, so haven't yet gone through an autumn and winter with it in place yet. The installer did claim that we could expect some benefit beyond the rated U-value increase on windy days, because the beads would block chilling drafts blowing through the cavity, which the official figures didn't account for. Never thought of it improving sealing around the windows though, and it does make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

How much does this cost for a typical 1,300 sqft house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭ninjaBob

Can someone PM some suppliers, I have gone to a few local suppliers and googled around and found 1 major supplier nationally.

I need to order mine this week.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Mike2006 wrote: »
    How much does this cost for a typical 1,300 sqft house?

When I got my 2,000 sqft house done I got a number of quotes for bonded bead in the range €1,100 to €1,400. Yours may be cheaper, but I suppose there are fixed minimum costs associated with sending a truck and crew out. Don't forget cheapest isn't necessarily best. I ended up going with the dearest because having checked him and his product out, he was the one I had most confidence in.

Make sure whoever you go with to check here that the product they are proposing has Irish Agrément Board certfication and that they are properly qualified to install it:

http://www.nsai.ie/index.cfm/area/page/information/CertificateSearch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Bhoypaul

there a lot of positive reason for getting cavity wall insulation as outlined above. However be careful that your location and your walls are suitable. Check out the article here:
    http://www.askjeff.co.uk

Certain parts of Ireland are not suitable due to the weather conditions and certain wall construcitons in particular non-rendered brick are not suitable.

Advertisement