Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice please

Options
  • 07-09-2009 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

hi,
    im dog sitting a pure breed retriever. she is 4 months and I just noticed she has lost a tooth. she was chewing on a sock and I noticed some blood on it and when I looked in her mouth noticed definite whole where tooth should be and blood round it, do pups get second teeth, sorry im clueless bout dogs. she belongs to my x and my kids wanted to have her over for few days so kinda avoiding ringing him for advice!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yep, thats normal, dont worry, they lose their baby teeth and grow adults ones.
    If shes losing teeth just make sure she has loads of nice things to chew on to save your furniture and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭gaffo7

phew, thanks a mil andrea. yep finding out the hard way about chewing things. so far im down about 5 pairs of shoes and a garden!
    but loving every minute of her! especially the fact that I hand her back and get to mind her when ever i want!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Chew toys like Kongs and ice cubes are great for puppies who are teething :) And rope toys (my pup loves to chew on em)
    It can be a shock the first time you see them losing a tooth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭gaffo7

thanks so much star for your advice/reassurance! yes bit scary, thought i was going to have to phone my x and tell him i broke his dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chiaki

lol yeah its normal! best thing to do is go to a 2nd hand shop and buy all their shoes! kong do teething sticks (get the largest size) and you can put treats in them, puppies like them when teething cos its a softer rubber than normal chew toys and kinda feels like cheap tennis shoe rubber!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Puppy kongs are excellent highly recommend them make sure if you get one to get the right one for her size. The standard kong is popular with our pup.
    Also there's are tons of other teething toys can't remember the name right now think there's a post I put up a short while ago about recommended puppy toys the blue toy I got is brilliant pup loves to chew it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

An old sock tied in a knot, soaked in water and then popped in the freezer for a few hours makes a good, cheap and readily available chew toy for teething pups. Plenty of chewing potential and the coldness will soothe sore gums.

Advertisement