Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what test if any do i need?

• 07-09-2009 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Have a berlingo van, last year i had it taxed comercialy and had a DOE on it.
    This year i had to tax it privately as the tax office wouldn't let me tax it comercialy without a VAT number.
    Now that the DOE is just out do i need to test it at all. have heard there could be a loop hole with this, but do not want to take a chance of getting 5 penalty points either for no valid test.:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Probably better getting tested. It would be cheaper to tax as a commerical would it not? €288 per year against €500 - €600? Test only cost around the €100 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 green al

i was told by the tax office you now need a VAT number to tax anything comercialy so had no choice but to tax it privatly:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Wow - even though you can be fully self employed without a VAT number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

ouch, what tax office was that? My father taxed his commercial jeep last month and there was no question of this, and i know he definitely did not provide a VAT number.

What happens then if you work for a company as an employee in a job that means you need to transport bulky items, tools etc but dont have a company van?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 green al

well thats what i was told by my local tax office any way:confused:
    well i am in that situation, need to carry tools and stuff for my job so need the van

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

green al wrote: »
    well i am in that situation, need to carry tools and stuff for my job so need the van

That seems very unfair.

There's a sub-forum here as well for commercial type vehicles - I will move this thread there, as I think you might get more info there.

green al wrote: »

They are talking absolute rubbish and you should go in again and not leave until they tax your van. I have tax vans commercially, lots of my family have and I know an awful lot of people who have vans and 4x4's taxed commercially and I or most of the people I know would not have a vat number.

I wonder would they ask you for a vat number if you tried to tax a tractor or would they try to make you tax it privately.

Op go in and kick up they are making up rules as they go along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

^ This.

I had the same schidt years ago in Sligo. They wouldnt let ma and I was only a cub so didn't know any better and left empty handed. The old fella went in seething a few hours later and got the tax no problem

Similar crap is going on with campervans where some tax offices are demanding a test cert and others wont even look at it if you bring it with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Did you actually pay to tax the van privately? If you have it paid it could be hard to get that back.

I have found in the past that arguing with people in tax/revenue/customs offices gets you absolutely no where fast. The person you are dealing with has little or no training and only knows what has been passed down to them by others and once you question their knowledge of something your on the back foot straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Farls wrote: »

I have found in the past that arguing with people in tax/revenue/customs offices gets you absolutely no where fast. The person you are dealing with has little or no training and only knows what has been passed down to them by others and once you question their knowledge of something your on the back foot straight away.
    Somethings never change, when I was applying for my provisional licence (in the mid 80s) I got a full medical instead of an eye test, I knew the doc well and he did test my eyes then filled out the full medical form. When I had all the things I needed I went to the tax office to apply for the llicence but the woman at the counter said that a full medical was not good enough and I needed any eye test. I argued for ten minutes that my eyes were with me when I had the medical. I asked her to please ask her boss which she did and when she came back she agreed that I had everything that I needed.
    I have commerical tax and no V.A.T number never any problem with that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement